Need replacement cooling fan

ken

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004

I am looking for a good source for a replacement cooling fan for my HP 9900
series computer. The Power supply and CPU fans are fine but my Chassis fan
blew out. It connects directly to the MB through a 12V source. It has 3
wires however? Red-Black-Blue... not sure what the blue one for...

I'm sure I could just get a replacement fan that connects to one of the
drive connectors but would like to find an similar fan to plug in the MB...

Thanks in advance....

Ken

"Ken" <kenecaz@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:fqkPc.232554$Oq2.171865@attbi_s52...
> I am looking for a good source for a replacement cooling fan for my HP 9900
> series computer. The Power supply and CPU fans are fine but my Chassis fan
> blew out. It connects directly to the MB through a 12V source. It has 3
> wires however? Red-Black-Blue... not sure what the blue one for...
>
> I'm sure I could just get a replacement fan that connects to one of the
> drive connectors but would like to find an similar fan to plug in the MB...
>
> Thanks in advance....

That's real common hardware available at stores like Circuit City, or hundreds of
places online. Get the size right, and the right connector, and it should work. Try
to get ball bearings instead of sleeve bearings, they'll last a couple years longer.

Third wire is for a tachometer. If you buy a raw motherboard, the vendor generally
gives you a utility that can monitor speed in the background, and sound an alarm
if it falls too low. When you buy a pre-built system at your local big-box store,
they generally don't provide that sort of thing because it might create too many
support calls if the alarms go off. So the fan fails, the computer cooks, and you get
to buy another pre-built system at your local big-box store.

-Dave