Need Reviews For New Short Film

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but first
wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us know if
there are any problems that need to be corrected, and what you like
about it, just an overall review would be great. You can watch the
film below, you will need Windows Media Player.

Watch Night Scares: http://www.filmwave.com/site/video/hiband/ns_dv_01-1.wmv
 

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001
1,944
0
19,780
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:22798d6a.0404231412.605ed896@posting.google.com...
> We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but first
> wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us know if
> there are any problems that need to be corrected, and what you like
> about it, just an overall review would be great. You can watch the
> film below, you will need Windows Media Player.
>
> Watch Night Scares:
http://www.filmwave.com/site/video/hiband/ns_dv_01-1.wmv

OK - I watched it. It was a fun short, but I did have a few problems. The
biggest issue I had was that you used a number of jump cuts, and you very
often crossed the line of action without offering any sort of transition
shot. I don't know if this was intentional or not - a couple of spots, the
crossing of the line was disconcerting, but I can see how you may have
wanted it that way. But in the apartment the crosses actually got confusing
because of how it was put together - especially the close-up of the gun.
(BTW, I DID like how you covered the lack of a flash by using a tight
close-up that didn't show the barrel). As a fix, for most of them, not much
can be done now - it has to be shot without crossing the line. For the
close-up, though, you can flip the image left/right to get the correct
direction.

There were some believability issues as to how the characters acted - but
for a short like this, I can live with that...

Just my opinion.
 

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003
418
0
18,780
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

Pretty good camera work. As the other reviewer mentioned, there is too much
of a jump between when the guy walks away from the hitchhiker and when the
knife is shown, near the beginning.

--Judd

"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:22798d6a.0404231412.605ed896@posting.google.com...
> We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but first
> wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us know if
> there are any problems that need to be corrected, and what you like
> about it, just an overall review would be great. You can watch the
> film below, you will need Windows Media Player.
>
> Watch Night Scares:
http://www.filmwave.com/site/video/hiband/ns_dv_01-1.wmv
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

It was just OK. Not a real interesting story line, no motive. I found the
editing choppy. Nice if it was a first effort.
The dead girl did a good job.

"film_fan_1" <slapper2000@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:22798d6a.0404231412.605ed896@posting.google.com...
> We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but first
> wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us know if
> there are any problems that need to be corrected, and what you like
> about it, just an overall review would be great. You can watch the
> film below, you will need Windows Media Player.
>
> Watch Night Scares:
http://www.filmwave.com/site/video/hiband/ns_dv_01-1.wmv
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but first
> wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us know if

Script needs work... What robber is going to say, "I'm going where
you're going."? Not real believable that a robber would walk to the
other side of the car away from the victim when he's only got a knife.

The main character's reaction to the knock on the door is "over the
top". He calls 911 based only on a knock at the door, without seeing who
it is? And when he's got a gun? And how did the robber find him? All a
bit confusing.

The actress was very good but the other two were a bit over the top, for
my tastes anyway. Too dramatic with the facial expressions. The cop was
pretty good.

This is a common movie occurrence but no one, and I mean no one, can
take a couple of 9mm/45 cals to the chest and remain standing. It knocks
them down like a horse kick. And you don't fall forward after being shot
from the front. Probably would have been more realistic for the actor to
have been slammed against the wall and slide down with blood smearing
the wall.

I agree with others, the jump cut from the first to the second scene was
too weird. The photography was very good but the editing was not.
Headlight shot was cool. The sound recording was very good and the music
was _outstanding_, great at setting the mood. Fade the music at the very
end, it just drops off a cliff.

I'd give it a C- if you've done this before or a B if this is your first
effort. Remember, criticism is vital to improving your skills. Don't
take it personally.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in
news:aU8jc.7036$7a5.6363@bignews6.bellsouth.net:

>> We are near completion on our new short film "Night Scares", but
>> first wanted to get some reveiws on what you think of it. Let us
>> know if
>
> Script needs work... What robber is going to say, "I'm going where
> you're going."? Not real believable that a robber would walk to
> the other side of the car away from the victim when he's only got
> a knife.
>
> The main character's reaction to the knock on the door is "over
> the top". He calls 911 based only on a knock at the door, without
> seeing who it is? And when he's got a gun? And how did the robber
> find him? All a bit confusing.
>
> The actress was very good but the other two were a bit over the
> top, for my tastes anyway. Too dramatic with the facial
> expressions. The cop was pretty good.
>
> This is a common movie occurrence but no one, and I mean no one,
> can take a couple of 9mm/45 cals to the chest and remain standing.
> It knocks them down like a horse kick. And you don't fall forward
> after being shot from the front. Probably would have been more
> realistic for the actor to have been slammed against the wall and
> slide down with blood smearing the wall.
>
> I agree with others, the jump cut from the first to the second
> scene was too weird. The photography was very good but the editing
> was not. Headlight shot was cool. The sound recording was very
> good and the music was _outstanding_, great at setting the mood.
> Fade the music at the very end, it just drops off a cliff.
>
> I'd give it a C- if you've done this before or a B if this is your
> first effort. Remember, criticism is vital to improving your
> skills. Don't take it personally.
>
>
>

Although I agree with you about "going where you're going" and about
the robber finding the man's apartment, I felt it was supposed to be
more like "Outer Limits" than like a crime stoyr. In fact, I ended
up not thinking of him as a robber, but as something else - a
psychopath...

I was more startled when the cop shot the man who had a noose around
his neck, since that made him look to me more like a victim than a
perpetrator.

I thought it was well filmed and certainly scary enough, but I'm not
qualified to give it a letter grade :)

Gino

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

> I thought it was well filmed and certainly scary enough, but I'm not
> qualified to give it a letter grade :)


Of course you are! We're all wannabe Siskel or Ebert's... with someone
else's work. <vbseg>

The first screenplay I ever wrote received the following criticism,
"This is unlike any movie that has ever been made, for a reason. Real
movies aren't this _bad_."
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop (More info?)

"Morrmar" <morrmar@myway.com-no spam> wrote in
news:pNejc.10479$oN1.5729@bignews5.bellsouth.net:

>> I thought it was well filmed and certainly scary enough, but I'm
>> not qualified to give it a letter grade :)
>
>
> Of course you are! We're all wannabe Siskel or Ebert's... with
> someone else's work. <vbseg>
>
> The first screenplay I ever wrote received the following
> criticism, "This is unlike any movie that has ever been made, for
> a reason. Real movies aren't this _bad_."
>
>
>

LOL

--
Gene E. Bloch (Gino) phone 650.966.8481
Call me letters find me at domain blochg whose dot is com