Question Need selective USB power off in sleep mode

Nov 30, 2019
I am using an old Lenovo ThinkCentre 7099 as an HTPC. This is a desktop PC. I am trying to switch AC power to an external amplifier by using the 5 volt power from a USB port. I am hoping to have the port be the "signal" to power a relay only when the PC is awake. I've looked at the Device manager but not sure if this motherboard will support this. Ideally I would only power off one USB port so I can keep the wake function for my USB keyboard. However any 5 volt source that will be off for sleep could work.

Ralston18

Titan
Google "usb controlled ac power switch"

Not sure what trade-offs you will be willing to make if some trade-off becomes necessary.

Likely that you will need to do some reading and then rephrase the search terms that I used.

Hopefully narrowing things down to a viable solution.

Nov 30, 2019
Thanks. I had already done that. There is nothing in the BIOS for usb power management that helps and after a lot of fiddling in the advanced power settings and device manager I have come to the conclusion my motherboard is incapable of what I need. Which is a 5 volt signal that goes off when in sleep mode. Even a 12 volt signal could work because I could just employ a voltage divider.

Nov 30, 2019
Solved it with this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K3ZLMP7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. A load activated power strip does the trick!
81nzyhueVYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg