Question Need serious help with fluctuating internet

May 11, 2021
Hey guys this is going to be a bit of a post since ive been having this internet problem for soooo long so please bare with me here,

Info: Previously I had 500 down and 500 upload would get 250 down and 500 up
then i upgraded to 1000 down and 1000 upload, i get 450 down and 950 up.

As you can see the download is being affected like crazy.

Back story, I have metronet fiber and my gaming setup was placed in the middle of the house. I moved it down to the basement along with the router and modem to get more privacy for my streams/videos. I used to get 500/500 no problem in the middle of the house. ever since i moved it down to the basement, my download has been fluctuating like crazy.

My bandwidth on my ps4 used to be 4000 on cod, now its 1300. Its seriously affected my gaming/streams for 2 months now. I've had so many techs come out and tell me the signal looks fantastic and they're not sure why its happening. The funny thing is they'll bring a personal dell laptop and somehow get the speeds im supposed to be getting no problem.

FYI there are no problems with my PC or PS4.

I think what im going to do is bring my entire setup along with the router and modem to the middle of the house again as it worked there just fine. Yes, I have replaced so many things such as ethernet cable, my router from a nighthawk r7000 to a netduma r2, and more. Its made me gone crazy and the techs from the ISP just do not care as much about my problem

So please if you guys can let me know what y'all think I greatly appreciate it. I honestly just think at this point that ps4/pc goes bizarre in the basement for some reason but at this point idk what to do. Overall, the download is taking a huge hit and its caused me to play worse.

To give an example, ive watched killcams on COD and it looks like my character doesn't react for 1-2 seconds till i react and bare with you im a competitive player .

UPDATE: I moved it back to the house and same thing 400 download and 800 upload

Last edited:
So I wouldn't move a thing. I would boot a linux live cd/usb and see if you get full speeds there. If you do, then is just some sort of windows software issue to figure out. If you still have the problem under linux, it can be a network or hardware issue.

You need to do all your testing on ethernet connections wifi can cause all kinds of strange issues.

There is a difference between speed and the problems in a game. A game in general need less than 1mbps so your connection is massively faster. What could be the problem is packet loss. That might also affect download speeds if is is bad enough.

Try leaving a constant ping command run in a background windows to some common IP like 8.8.8.8. See if you are getting packet loss when the game causes a issue. Note running ping during a speedtest will many times show small packet loss and just means you are overloading the connection.

Reactions: SamirD
May 11, 2021
So I wouldn't move a thing. I would boot a linux live cd/usb and see if you get full speeds there. If you do, then is just some sort of windows software issue to figure out. If you still have the problem under linux, it can be a network or hardware issue.

So I play on a ps4, which used to get amazing internet along with my pc in the middle of the house. Once I moved both down to the basement, thats when the issue started to happen. The internet guys say everything looks fine

May 11, 2021
You need to do all your testing on ethernet connections wifi can cause all kinds of strange issues.

There is a difference between speed and the problems in a game. A game in general need less than 1mbps so your connection is massively faster. What could be the problem is packet loss. That might also affect download speeds if is is bad enough.

Try leaving a constant ping command run in a background windows to some common IP like 8.8.8.8. See if you are getting packet loss when the game causes a issue. Note running ping during a speedtest will many times show small packet loss and just means you are overloading the connection.

All testing is done on ethernet on my pc, which has no problems as it has been optimized. I play on ps4, so my pc is just used for streaming purposes.

So I play on a ps4, which used to get amazing internet along with my pc in the middle of the house. Once I moved both down to the basement, thats when the issue started to happen. The internet guys say everything looks fine
I misunderstood.

So the question is how did you 'move' stuff downstairs? What is the exact wiring diagram look like? Because it's something in there unless you broke something.

Actually, moving it all back up is the best thing--if you still have problems there, something broke, and if it works properly, then we can start narrowing stuff down on the move and what changed.

May 11, 2021
I misunderstood.

So the question is how did you 'move' stuff downstairs? What is the exact wiring diagram look like? Because it's something in there unless you broke something.

Actually, moving it all back up is the best thing--if you still have problems there, something broke, and if it works properly, then we can start narrowing stuff down on the move and what changed.

Yea, I am having tech move my internet setup back upstairs and then I am moving my entire stream setup upstairs as well. I don't think anything broke as its happening both in the pc/ps4. Idk if it just doesn't perform well in the basement, regarding these two devices, as maybe the water pipes or radon is affecting it

Yea, I am having tech move my internet setup back upstairs and then I am moving my entire stream setup upstairs as well. I don't think anything broke as its happening both in the pc/ps4. Idk if it just doesn't perform well in the basement, regarding these two devices, as maybe the water pipes or radon is affecting it
We'll find out soon enough, although having tech move it will mean they will probably fix anything broken so we won't know, lol. And if you've got leaking pipes and radon in the basement then probably not good to be there in the first place! :eek:

May 11, 2021
We'll find out soon enough, although having tech move it will mean they will probably fix anything broken so we won't know, lol. And if you've got leaking pipes and radon in the basement then probably not good to be there in the first place! :eek:
I moved it back to the middle of the house and same speeds man. 400 download and 900 upload like what...