Need serious help with my Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter

DoeZ

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014
First let me apologize now because I am in no way shape or form a computer geek nor do I pretend to be. So I ask that you have some patience with me in the hopes I can get my laptop up and running again.

I have a Toshiba Satellite L455-S5975 I'm currently running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit and as I mentioned above my Network Adapter is Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter. Hope that was enough info if not just ask I'll get more.

I've been having some serious problems with my connection and my speed for quite some time. Nothing has changed in the sense as our router modem or anything like that. It gets down to 2-3 bars at times and takes forever to load a page and ends up timing out. I go into the Network/Sharing Center and I run a diagnosis on my Adapter and even tho I really don't know what I'm looking at it always says There's a Problem with your Network. I can't remember how I went into it and it would always say that it was working properly but that's not the case here...I truly believe that there are missing parts to my Adapter if that's even possible. But as of right now the only way I'm even connected to the internet is thru my extender...and when I go back into the Network/Sharing Center and go to look at the full map...I get a message telling me that Windows cannot start mapping on the adapter and to make sure that your connected. I know this probably doesn't make sense but I don't know how to explain it any other way. How do I fix this adapter or uninstall it and install a newer updated one. I'd appreciate any help with this as I need to get this up and running again.

Thanks
DoeZ

DoeZ

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

If I uninstall these and then reboot my laptop how do I go about getting it back? Or is there a newer one or better one than what I had? I somehow also have a Miniport Adapter and I have no clue how or where that came from...if I uninstall that one do I need that one back?

DoeZ

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

Ok Thanks I'll give it a shot ;)

What if the driver is missing a bunch of stuff or it's totally messed up?

If the driver is missing you search online for a driver for that device

download it to a memory stick [using another computer ]
copy it to your desktop
and then install it

I suppose if you had only one computer to use you could download it first , but Toshiba are not incompetent enough to sell you a pc without all the necessary drivers and install files onboard

DoeZ

Reputable
Oct 22, 2014

Ok good...that's what I needed to make sure of. I have my other PC that I can find a driver for my laptop...and just to make sure I'm going to be doing this right...I'm just typing in all the info about my laptop in order to find the "right" driver for my laptop? Or should I go to the Realtek site itself and try to download that driver again? or look for new?

Sorry for all these questions:pt1cable: