[SOLVED] Need Sherlock Holmes to help unexplained system power loss when gaming or discord ?

Jun 25, 2021
I've got a 5900x 32GB B550M ds3h system with an RTX 2080 and a 750W Gold PSU running win 10. Every time I play games, at some point it will crash. Not always straight away. Sometimes I can play for hours, and others I don't get in for more than a couple of minutes, and my system loses power. I need to wait for the system power light to go out, and disconnect the PSU, and then reconnect and power on again for it to reboot. It doesn't happen when on Teams or in MS office/web browsing etc, just gaming.

Passes mem test with no errors or crashes, though only once. Latest Bios. No overclocking - running all at stock, no xmp activated either - ram is running at 2400mhz. System is running at 70% capacity, and for the life of me, my cpu doesn't get above 85c and gpu stays around 70c playing games like dota or cod. Crashes irrespective of the game. Usually with in an hour. When I'm gaming and jump into a discord call as well, it tends to accelerate the time until I crash, some times its as soon as I join a call. I can't overclock the ram at all or my system crashes on desktop. CPU not overheating.

Suspecting either the MOBO or the PSU... but both are new. I've tried various configs of ram (1 x 8 , 2 x 8, 4 x 8) and no difference.

Please help me understand. I am stupid :)

Solution
How does it crash? Is there some message or does it straight out turn off?

Having to disconnect the PSU for it to start again could also point towards either the bios having issues and cutting the power is resetting the bios for it to start again or some capacitor on the mobo causing issues and having to discharge before working correctly again.

The only way this could be a PSU problem would be if it doesn't make good contact so it disconnects at random intervals and you have to re seat it for it to make a good connection again.
Because if the PSU couldn't provide enough power it would always crash as soon as you hit the power limit and would not let you play for hours, sometimes.

Also try running furmark or whatever the current GPU...

Having to disconnect the PSU for it to start again could also point towards either the bios having issues and cutting the power is resetting the bios for it to start again or some capacitor on the mobo causing issues and having to discharge before working correctly again.

The only way this could be a PSU problem would be if it doesn't make good contact so it disconnects at random intervals and you have to re seat it for it to make a good connection again.
Because if the PSU couldn't provide enough power it would always crash as soon as you hit the power limit and would not let you play for hours, sometimes.

Also try running furmark or whatever the current GPU stress testing tool is, just to make sure because GPUs can crash from other thing as well not just overheating.

You should also look at the default settings of your bios, often they use way too much Vcore on auto settings and it might reach such a high Vcore that the CPU shuts off.

Solution
Jun 25, 2021

Also try running furmark or whatever the current GPU stress testing tool is, just to make sure because GPUs can crash from other thing as well not just overheating.

You should also look at the default settings of your bios, often they use way too much Vcore on auto settings and it might reach such a high Vcore that the CPU shuts off.
So sorry I should have been more clear. Usually when it crashes, my pc will straight up lose power, and then power back on. However when it powers back on, it gets stuck in what ever it is doing, nothing displays, I assume the motherboard is just having a bad old time, and so in order to restart and reboot into windows, I have to disconnect the power, wait for 5-10 seconds, and then reconnect the power, and power it on. This is the only way to get back in and working.

Jun 25, 2021
The fact that PSU is new means nothing IF it is a poor quality model. Suspecting PSU or mobo is correct assumption, however this

puts a strong case against PSU. So at this point I can only repeat rgd1101's question: PSU's brand and model?
Cooler Master MWE 750W, and what usually happens is -> power cuts off on system i.e. I will be gaming and all power cuts out, including peripherals. -> immediately tries to power itself back on, but nothing happens even if I wait for an hour -> I disconnect the psu -> wait for 10 seconds for the on button like to completely dim -> reconnect and then turn it back on, and then it will boot back up, and windows will understandably tell me I've unexpectedly shutdown. Seems to happen when I game mostly, and less frequently when I use discord, and even less frequently when I'm using Teams. Use 1 or more of those together and the frequency of incidents increases. Weirdly, I can go 5 hours without a single crash gaming if I'm lucky, but I rarely am lucky. Usually an hour or less.

Jun 25, 2021
I should also note that I can't overclock my ram at all. I have 4 x 8gb 3200mhz team memory, and currently I'm running 16gb of that at 2400mhz, because any increase on either the amount of ram or the clocks - despite 1000 different bios configs, results in a swift crash, much like the one's I've been getting. Making me lean towards the MOBO. DS3H B550 Gigabyte - updated to latest bios.