Need solution for a LOCKED BIOS :(

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Hi,

I have a Gateway AMD X2 6000+ with an EliteGroup MCP61PM Motherboard. Unfortunately the BIOS (Pheonix Tech) is locked.

Is there a way I can reflash this puppy with a BIOS which isn't locked? If so, where can I get it?

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
Doubt it. Though I can't speak specifically to what you have, I do know that the major computer manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway) typically issue very restrictive BIOS's on their mainstream models. Hopefully for you someone will prove me wrong...

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
There is a way

http://www.biosmods.com/download.php
modbin6
O ya if you dont know about stuff dont blame me if you have no backup of bios

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Thanks Gomer,

I'll look into that. How exactly do I backup my BIOS? I have a 3.5 floppy drive so that should be easy.

Ok, I looked over there. It looks as if I need to have an "Award Modular Bios" to be able to make changes to it. How do I find out if I have that kind of BIOS? It looks like the programs I need are:

1. AwdFlash
2. Modbin/Modbin6

Is that right? It says Modbin is too big to fit on a floppy. How do I work with it then in DOS?

EDIT:

Man, this looks complicated. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone or spring for a better MB.

joewho

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
I would remove the battery overnight and cross your fingers. Also unplug power and reset CMOS Jumper. This has worked before.

Good Luck

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Well, I can get an identical MB from Asus for about $80 that can be modded, so if I do anything I should do that.

Right now I use the same computer for business as gaming, which probably is a bad idea. I haven't built a "gaming only" rig yet because I am waiting on the new Dual GPU cards to come out in Q1 and the new multi-card MB's that look so promising.

I also want to see what is the biggest bang for my buc and whoch turns in the best performance - 4 ATI Cards or 3 NVidia cards.

Crysis is cool now and I can play it on all High settings and get 30 - 40 FPS on a 1280 x 1024, but I want to ge able to crank everything and get awesome FPS and zero BSOD.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
I don't really care about getting high FPS on huge resolutions because I will be investing in some of the new 3D specs coming out that use flexible OLED screens which actually bend around your eyes, creating a fully emersive effect. Those screens will be so that they could probably run tiny resolutions and still look amazing.

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
sry for the delay, the awdflash will go on the floppy wiff a boot disk I know I done it plenty of times in xp.
Put your floppy in A choose format and click copy system files you now have a floppy boot disk. copy awdflash on that disk and boot up from A.
type in awdflash or what the .EXE is and choose the option to copy your bios to a file.
Now delete the awdflash and copy modbin6 to the floppy with your bios, boot up again and type modbin6 [name of bios] and you can now start to edit your bios when you are satified with your work save it
you can now delete Modbin6 copy awdflash back to the disk, boot up using the floppy and choose the command to flash the bios you made, it is quite easy.