[SOLVED] Need some advice, I think I'm done with PC gaming... what's the sensible thing to do?

Dec 18, 2020
Okay let me drop my system specs

Ryzen 2600
570 8 gig MSI video card
550 watt cosair PS
HZXT H200i Mini-ITX case
16 gig memory
Deepcool fan
Asrock b450 gaming-itx board

The system is okay at best, I play GTA5 all the time and left 4 dead but it's not gonna run higher end games on decent settings.

But to be real, I'm kinda done with PC gaming, too much work and too expensive so I was looking into selling it or trading it for a good OFFICE PC, mostly just basic stuff.

What really bothers me is two things.

1. Mini-ITX is too small and a pain to work on
  2. Asrock sent me a bad board which the bluetooth is pure static and it's past the return period

So I want to toss it, I've been offered 450 US for it which is about what it's worth probably but that's just gonna get some crappy dell.

I was wondering if I should just keep it for productivity and just delete the games since it will probably be more powerful than anything I buy at this price range.

?????

Solution
I agree that mini ITX is a pain to work in. But if you want a basic system for $500, there's plenty of ways and routes you could go outside of getting a standard desktop. Unfortunately part shortages of critical parts right now like CPUs and GPUs mean that it's nearly impossible to build a new system from scratch, at least for the time being. That system you have is definitely better than a lot of stuff you could buy pre-built, and you could always repurpose it for something else. I use my desktop PC for a lot of purposes besides gaming even though it is built for that purpose.

And if it's the Bluetooth on the motherboard that is the problem, you could always get a cheapo USB bluetooth adapter for like $15. Asus makes a pretty decent one.

g-unit1111

Titan
I agree that mini ITX is a pain to work in. But if you want a basic system for $500, there's plenty of ways and routes you could go outside of getting a standard desktop. Unfortunately part shortages of critical parts right now like CPUs and GPUs mean that it's nearly impossible to build a new system from scratch, at least for the time being. That system you have is definitely better than a lot of stuff you could buy pre-built, and you could always repurpose it for something else. I use my desktop PC for a lot of purposes besides gaming even though it is built for that purpose.

And if it's the Bluetooth on the motherboard that is the problem, you could always get a cheapo USB bluetooth adapter for like $15. Asus makes a pretty decent one.

Reactions: stick2dascript
Solution
Dec 18, 2020

You're right, I guess I just got the itch to change it but it works well.

I'll take your advice and keep it and change what I don't like about it. I'm also gonna save up for water cooling and throw in another hard drive.

Case is a pita, the cooler is so big I can barely see the motherboard.

Thanks again.

Yeah, if you don't want to game on the system, it would still work rather well for other tasks. It seems a bit redundant to replace it with a system that would probably be less powerful, unless the system had serious issues that couldn't be easily fixed.

As for not being able to "run higher end games on decent settings" I would say it should be able to handle the vast majority of today's games pretty well at 1080p resolution. You might not be able to max out the graphics settings in recent titles, but most games tend to fairly similar at medium to high settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Top view of my mITX pc. With full custom loop (parts in sig).

Yes mITX can be a pain to work with, but it's fun, a challenge that's not found in full/mid towers.

You've missed the point entirely about your pc. It's not a console, built with specific purpose of gaming. It's a pc, so will do whatever you wish of it. It's absolutely fine for running productivity or gaming at that budget range. The cpu/gpu ram is realistically no different than an 'office' pc. Likely better.

So it'll 'purpose' anything you choose to purpose it for.

My wife runs Citrix workstation 10+ hrs a day, then I game too afterwards. The pc doesn't care one way or another.

Motherboard Bluetooth/wifi is a gimmick for the most part, it's our dated 3 days after it's built. Better to go with addons that can be updated.

g-unit1111

Titan
Top view of my mITX pc. With full custom loop (parts in sig).

Yes mITX can be a pain to work with, but it's fun, a challenge that's not found in full/mid towers.

You've missed the point entirely about your pc. It's not a console, built with specific purpose of gaming. It's a pc, so will do whatever you wish of it. It's absolutely fine for running productivity or gaming at that budget range. The cpu/gpu ram is realistically no different than an 'office' pc. Likely better.

So it'll 'purpose' anything you choose to purpose it for.

My wife runs Citrix workstation 10+ hrs a day, then I game too afterwards. The pc doesn't care one way or another.

Motherboard Bluetooth/wifi is a gimmick for the most part, it's our dated 3 days after it's built. Better to go with addons that can be updated.

Yeah I have a mini ITX PC as well and it's great for the purposes I built it for. You can see mine even though mine is air cooled (and I also took out that 2TB hard drive and replaced it with my 2TB SSD) :

282671.f6e2af366e803a9803a6533d371e9b0c.1600.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, I know that exact case (forget the name wouldn't you believe it) and yes swapping out the hdd can do wonders for airflow. Kinda surprised you retained the stock cooler, that looks like the Stealth, which tend to be louder under heavy loads. I believe the larger amd coolers will fit in there, you just have to remove the ring that says AMD, as will the Noctua L-12 I think, can't remember exactly. But anything you could cram in there that's larger will also be a benefit to quietness rating.

DSzymborski

Titan
Okay let me drop my system specs

Ryzen 2600
570 8 gig MSI video card
550 watt cosair PS
HZXT H200i Mini-ITX case
16 gig memory
Deepcool fan
Asrock b450 gaming-itx board

The system is okay at best, I play GTA5 all the time and left 4 dead but it's not gonna run higher end games on decent settings.

But to be real, I'm kinda done with PC gaming, too much work and too expensive so I was looking into selling it or trading it for a good OFFICE PC, mostly just basic stuff.

What really bothers me is two things.

1. Mini-ITX is too small and a pain to work on
  2. Asrock sent me a bad board which the bluetooth is pure static and it's past the return period
So I want to toss it, I've been offered 450 US for it which is about what it's worth probably but that's just gonna get some crappy dell.

I was wondering if I should just keep it for productivity and just delete the games since it will probably be more powerful than anything I buy at this price range.

?????

Honestly, don't see the point of selling it for $450 just to buy a prebuilt that will be worse at office things than this. It's not as if PCs geared towards gaming have compromises that make work performance worse overall; a solid gaming PC becomes a solid office PC by just not playing games on it. My main rig is certainly a gaming-oriented build, with enough unicorn vomit to choke an overactive eight-year-old, but I've also do my full-time job, which requires some quite robust mathematical/database work at times, without the slightest hitch.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Still trying to figure out exactly what the difference is. If you think about mainstream components, not the specialized stuff for the enthusiast class boards and gpus, then a pc is a pc. Unicorn vomit doesn't make it a gaming pc, just a multicolored pile of unicorn vomit. There's more than a few apps that need a high powered gpu, which requires a decent psu, or a high wattage cpu with tons of cores, or both.

You own a decently strong pc, you are the only one labeling it as a 'gaming' pc, it'll do just as well at a variety of production apps or 50+ chrome tabs, even a couple of VM's.

Don't sell it, Use it.

g-unit1111

Titan
Oh, I know that exact case (forget the name wouldn't you believe it) and yes swapping out the hdd can do wonders for airflow. Kinda surprised you retained the stock cooler, that looks like the Stealth, which tend to be louder under heavy loads. I believe the larger amd coolers will fit in there, you just have to remove the ring that says AMD, as will the Noctua L-12 I think, can't remember exactly. But anything you could cram in there that's larger will also be a benefit to quietness rating.

Depends on the case. No way would I put a large HD inside a case like that unless it had proper room and airflow going to it. I have the Silverstone Raven which is one of the larger HTPC cases on the market. Maybe in an NZXT H210i I could see doing that, but I wouldn't in an HTPC case.

LeiHeJun

Upstanding
Dec 13, 2020
I guess it's just a mental thing, I see this Deep Cool Fan spinning all day and it's a distraction in a sense but yes I decided to keep it.
You mean it has RGB? You can turn that off or unplug the led strip. That makes your pc less gaming like.

Also if you really want to stop playing, another office pc won't help you. You will play games on it.
My suggestion is buy a digital piano, or a musical instrument that is cheaper than an office pc. Or buy a canvas and paint, get a parrot or fish tank, buy a kindle and read books.

No matter which pc fast or slow, glowing with lights or dull and edgy, you'll keep playing games on it. So spend your money on something else. Go to a piano concert, or get a premium membership to a local zoo for year around entry. Casionote S300 is good price. It can be connected to a computer and then use softwares to learn how to play it.