Question Need some advice - My new Mobo doesn't recognize my GPU

Oct 19, 2020
So I have a somewhat old PC that I decided to upgrade. A friend of mine got me some parts and I replaced my old Core2Quad Q8400 + Intel DG41RQ Mobo + 4GB DDR2 for an i5 2400 + Intel DH67BL Mobo + 8 GB DDR3.
To upgrade I simply replaced the mobo with CPU and mem inside my case, plugged the GPU, SSD and done. The problem is that this board doesn't detect my GPU an EVGA GTX 460. It's not even listed as a PCIe device.
Windows Device Manager also doesn't show the GTX as a video device. Integrated Graphics works fine.

So far I've tried:
  • Upgraded the BIOS to the latest version (0162)
  • Reseated and cleaned the PCI lane twice
  • Disabled UEFI Boot
The "Video" config options on the BIOS is set to Auto, but changing any value here didn't produce any result.
Could it be that this "new" mobo has a faulty PCIe? A have an old PCIe that I'm gonna try next, when I get home from work. I know it's not my GPU since it's working fine on my other mobo.
Any other ideas to try?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to reinstall the OS when you replace the motherboard, so that's where you should start first. Also, manually install all drivers relevant to your motherboard after downloading them manually from Intel's support site.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?

Oct 19, 2020
I'm planning on reinstalling the OS of I keep this system. If I don't solve this issue I may go back to the old one.

I have a Cooler Master 460W (will check the model when I get home) and it's like 11 years old. Could it be the PSU even if it works just fine on the other system? There's a brand new one coming for my other build this week. I can try and test this.

But the BIOS itself doesn't find the GPU.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhYUSKShcv4SiRfi8gvZiJ-ZRhum

Could this be anything to do with an UEFI mobo and a non UEFI GPU?

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020
You're advised to reinstall the OS when you replace the motherboard, so that's where you should start first. Also, manually install all drivers relevant to your motherboard after downloading them manually from Intel's support site.

Make and model of your PSU and it's age?
Got my PSU model. It's the RS-460-PMSR-A3

Sam mainman

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
Got my PSU model. It's the RS-460-PMSR-A3
I don't think its your PSU since it works fine on you old config the TDP on your i5 2400 is the same as the core de quad q8400 at 95w and your using the same peripherals , I think your PCIe slot may be faulty to make sure try using a different GPU if it doesn't work try cleaning the slot with Isopropyl alcohol if it happens to be faulty you can get a cheap Chinese H61 board for around 25$, I have been using one for about a year now with my 2500k and its working just fine.

Sam mainman

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
by the way does your dedicated GPU (460gtx) posts anything pre-windows when you boot your pc on, if it does it's probably an OS problem reinstall windows and you be fine, if it doesn't well like I said before its probably your PCIe slot.

Oct 19, 2020
Hi.

So this weekend my old GTX460 (EVGA Superclocked), after a BSD, started showing a lot of artifacts on screen View: https://imgur.com/a/zZp7sGA
, a lot of crashes, errors on Windows Device Manager and so on..

Under normal circumstances I would get a new one since the GTX460 is a very old GPU, but nowadays it's impossible to find a decent GPU at reasonable prices.

Removing the GPU and using the onboard fixed the problem showing it is really the GPU.

So far I tried to switch the output (from HDMI to DVI) without success. I heard it can help if you downgrade your GPU memory clock or something but I have no idea how to do this. My son was using this PC to play his LEGO games at the living room, so it wouldn't be a problem if I have a performance loss.

Any ideas?

Specs:
Intel Core2Quad Q84000
Intel DG41RQ Mobo
4Gb DDR2 800 MHz
EVGA Superclocked GTX 460
CoolerMaster 460W PSU

Lutfij

Titan
11 years for a PSU with that sort of hardware is like the unit being put to death slowly. Seriously the PSU's capacitors will age, degrade and wear out, over time meaning the effective power output of the PSU is further reduced, far more than what is being advertised(in spite of having system loss). Furthermore, the PSU you own, even for it's time, was just an expensive paper weight.

To add, you need a reliably built, 600W~650W PSU for that system just because you have a GTX460 in that build. Had it been something more concurrent you'd need a lower wattage PSU but the fact of the matter is two things;
1| you lack the necessary power for that system
and
2| your PSU needs to be swapped to rule out if it's a faulty unit

To me, it seems you're slowly killing your system.

Oct 19, 2020
Do you think it's the PSU because of its quality (brand or model) or wattage?
The GTX460 suggested PSU is a 450W unit and its TDP is 160W.
All the power calculators I tested for the system indicated I was well with a 460W unit.

Do you think maybe trying another PSU will get rid of the artifacts?

I'm planning on reinstalling the OS of I keep this system. If I don't solve this issue I may go back to the old one.

I have a Cooler Master 460W (will check the model when I get home) and it's like 11 years old. Could it be the PSU even if it works just fine on the other system? There's a brand new one coming for my other build this week. I can try and test this.

But the BIOS itself doesn't find the GPU.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhYUSKShcv4SiRfi8gvZiJ-ZRhum

Could this be anything to do with an UEFI mobo and a non UEFI GPU?
Yes.
If you have a old gpu, you will need to have the bios operate in legacy mode for the card to be recognized.
In the bios, there may be a setting to select legacy mode, and not uefi.
Similarly, some cards will be able to operate in both modes, but yours likely does not.

Coolermaster quality can be iffy, depending on the model.
Considering it's age, look at investing in a quality psu for the long term.
Here is a tier list for psu quality; there are others; opinions vary.
Look for a 650/750w unit with a 7 to 10 year warranty.