Need some advice on building a 24/7 "trading" computer

maemoonha

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Hi all,

Im basically looking to make a computer that will stay on 24/7 and continuously be running a bot on cryptocurrency exchanges (via API), while also monitoring/refreshing Twitter and other websites at roughly a rate of one refresh per second.

So from what I understand thus far probably the 4 things that I need to invest considerably in are: CPU
RAM
Fans OR Liquid cooling system
Case that prioritizes cooling and airflow above all else

Given that Im trying to cut cost and streamline the components as efficiently as possible for specifically what Im looking for. I was thinking I could skimp on:
Hard drive (HDD vs SSD)
GPU
Monitor (only getting a single one, OK to be potato-quality)

I think I pretty much covered the components (both important ones and not important ones) so if I made any mistakes thus far let me know.

And lastly, I would greatly appreciate if you could throw some ideas my way as to what brand of CPU (most important) to get, as well as the Liquid cooling system, and RAM.

Your time is very much appreciated

Solution
Got a PM from OP to help out and now i'm here.

Since you basically need a "mini" server which runs few single-core applications 24/7, you don't need high-end and expensive hardware for that. Here's one build that you can consider:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5600 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($93.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Transcend - MTS800 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.49 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21...

Depending on what but you are using you can actually use your gpu to accelerate and it will be a LOT faster than running on the cpu. I would still use an ssd to make it so that it has fast acces times to it's stored data if needed.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Got a PM from OP to help out and now i'm here.

Since you basically need a "mini" server which runs few single-core applications 24/7, you don't need high-end and expensive hardware for that. Here's one build that you can consider:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium Gold G5600 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($93.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B360M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Transcend - MTS800 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($168.49 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Case: Thermaltake - Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($55.47 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Acer - R240HY bidx 23.8" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $690.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-22 09:30 EDT-0400

Few words

CPU
Went with Pentium G5600 since as said above, load on CPU won't be high to run few single-core applications. CPU has 2 cores and 4 threads while it's clocked at 3.9 Ghz at a stock, making it ideal CPU to run your applications and without costing a fortune (e.g Core i5).

MoBo
Went with B360 chipset MoBo that doesn't have bells and whistles on it which rack up the price. Though, did select 4 RAM slot MoBo just in case you plan to upgrade the RAM amount in the future.

RAM
If you'd plan to use it as a gaming build then i would've put in 16GB of RAM. But since you're using it as an office PC (or mini server), 8GB of RAM is more than enough. Also, went with Kingston HyperX Fury RAM since Kingston is known for it's reliability. In my Skylake build (full specs with pics in my sig), i also have Kingston RAM in use but mine is HyperX Savage series.

SSD
While the SSD uses M.2 interface, it isn't NVMe drive but instead ACHI drive. Performance wise, it isn't better than regular 2.5" SATA SSD. But what makes it special and also the reason why i put it in is because it has MCL nand flash and not TCL nand flash found in common SSDs (e.g 850 Evo).
TLC nand flash SSDs, while being cheap, only have about 3000 to 5000 read/write cycles before the SSD is toast. But MLC nand flash SSDs have 8000 to 10000 read/write cycles before they die. Making it far more durable SSD to use in continuous operation PCs. Though, eMLC nand flash or even SCL nand flash SSDs are even better drives due to the insanely high read/write cycles they have but they also cost a fortune.
Further reading about SSD nand flash: https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-slc-mlc-and-tlc-nand-flash.html

Second bonus for this drive is it's M.2 interface. You can mount your SSD directly on the MoBo without needing to mess with SATA data and power cables, making the build internals neater and less cluttered.

Case
Put in the Core V21 since it's the most customizable micro-ATX cube case i know. I didn't add any case fans with the build because Core V21 can hold up to 13x 120mm fans and you can create your very own specific cooling setup. Even the high-end full-tower ATX cases can't hold that many fans as Core V21 can.
Due to it's customizability you also have an option to mount your MoBo either horizontally or vertically. And if you do run out of space inside Core V21, case has the ability to be expanded with 2nd Core V21 (aka stackable case). On top of all that, Core V21 also has small footprint,
case specs: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002559
Note: Core V21 comes with only 1x 200mm intake fan.

Since choosing a case is personal choice, feel free to switch out the case i put in.

PSU
While this PC lacks the GPU that would draw considerable amount of power and you'd be fine with e.g 300W PSU, i put in 550W unit from Seasonic, just in case you plan to add GPU at later date. Focus+ 550 80+ Gold is one of the latest PSU lines from Seasonic and it comes with 10 years of OEM warranty. On top of that, PSU itself is only 140mm long and fully-modular, making it one of the best PSUs to be used in a small cube case.
At current setup, you only need to connect 24-pin and 4+8-pin EPS cables from PSU to MoBo to power your PC.

Monitor
I also added one 24", 1080p, ISP panel, 60 Hz monitor to your setup since you need it. Acer R240HY is one of the best budget monitors out there. And since CPU has Intel UHD 630 graphics, you can plug your monitor directly to the MoBo,
further reading with video review: https://www.144hzmonitors.com/best-gaming-monitor/#R240HY

Few additional words
Cooling
CPU comes with Intel's stock CPU cooler and it's more than enough to cool it. So, no need to spend money to upgrade CPU cooling and going with AIO or aftermarket CPU cooler. Though, you can upgrade CPU cooling if you like it to look better but performance wise, there's no need.

As far as case cooling goes and as said above, due to the Core V21 high customizability, you can build whatever cooling solution you like. Since G5600 isn't hot running chip, i'd add 1x 120mm rear exhaust fan and call it a day.

Upgradability
I've built this build so that you can turn it into high-end gaming rig if you so desire. Replacing CPU with i5-8400, adding 2nd set of 2x 4GB RAM and plugging in e.g GTX 1060 6GB makes it a solid gaming rig that can play games with high/ultra settings @ 1080p with solid 60+ FPS. Also, the monitor i put in displays crystal clear colors due to the ISP panel, making gaming on it a great experience. For better cooling as a gaming rig, you have tons of options for additional fans and their placements. But since hot air rises, airflow rule of thumb is: front & bottom - intake; top & rear - exhaust.

Solution