[SOLVED] Need some advice on MOBO and other parts 2600x build

AskMeKappa

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hello all :bounce:
I am currently trying to build a new pc with a ryzen 2600x and RTX 2060.
I have some doubts on what components should i get next, primarily the mobo. (thinking about msi b450 gaming plus)
My case of choice is the NZXT h500. (I also plan to water cool my cpu)

This build will be my new pc for a long time and im trying to make sure it is future-proofed so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance:dawa::dawa:

Solution
NVMe drives are definitely worth it nowadays. They have become so cheap, yet are so much faster than SATA drives. Even from the high end SATA to low end NVMe, where cheap NVMe would be cheaper than expensive SATA, the NVMe drives are still faster.
If your 1300 budget includes the CPU and GPU you have already got, then this is probably your best choice:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($187.84 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($154.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory...

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Well, the new 3rd gen ryzen is probably better price/performance if you are willing to change CPU. If you plan on overclocking or want to future proof your pc make sure the MOBO VRMs are good.

For ryzen 2nd gen (dunno about 3rd gen) faster memory is good so look for something fast that isn't too expensive maybe around 3600 MHz depends on deals e.t.c. Also, remember to look at CAS timing and to get the "real" speed it generally works to divide frequency with timing. Also in 2019 16GB is the least you should get and if you need more in the future you can just add it.

As for water cool, you mean closed loop I assume. The only real reason to do this would be for looks as it turns out a good Noctua CPU cooler is as good or better than coolers like the corsair ones. If you mean custom water cooling I'd recommend against it since it's expensive, difficult, risky and requires maintenance.

PSU, Don't get a cheap PSU, Just go Seasonic focus+ or anything using a quality Seasonic unit as a bad PSU can cause serious trouble. There are other units that are good but going Seasonic is your safest bet, even Corsair has a lot of problems with theirs, I'm speaking from experience. 500W should be enough for the system you're building but I'd go 550W to be safe.

I see a lot of people going for high capacity SSDs, I don't think that is necessary getting a 500 GB SSD and a 2TB HDD is good enough, spending 200$+ for 5sec faster load times isn't worth it IMO.

Hope this helps!

AskMeKappa

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Well, the new 3rd gen ryzen is probably better price/performance if you are willing to change CPU. If you plan on overclocking or want to future proof your pc make sure the MOBO VRMs are good.

For ryzen 2nd gen (dunno about 3rd gen) faster memory is good so look for something fast that isn't too expensive maybe around 3600 MHz depends on deals e.t.c. Also, remember to look at CAS timing and to get the "real" speed it generally works to divide frequency with timing. Also in 2019 16GB is the least you should get and if you need more in the future you can just add it.

As for water cool, you mean closed loop I assume. The only real reason to do this would be for looks as it turns out a good Noctua CPU cooler is as good or better than coolers like the corsair ones. If you mean custom water cooling I'd recommend against it since it's expensive, difficult, risky and requires maintenance.

PSU, Don't get a cheap PSU, Just go Seasonic focus+ or anything using a quality Seasonic unit as a bad PSU can cause serious trouble. There are other units that are good but going Seasonic is your safest bet, even Corsair has a lot of problems with theirs, I'm speaking from experience. 500W should be enough for the system you're building but I'd go 550W to be safe.

I see a lot of people going for high capacity SSDs, I don't think that is necessary getting a 500 GB SSD and a 2TB HDD is good enough, spending 200$+ for 5sec faster load times isn't worth it IMO.

Hope this helps!

I already bought my CPU so there's no more changing in that unfortunately. I am aware that i need fast memory for the ryzen but i dont really know what MOBO is good. (main problem)

Yes, i mean closed loop just for the aesthetics of it. I looked also into noctua but their looks doesn't quite fit with the other components.

Also for the PSU, i already went and bought a seasonic PSU as i have also learned before that PSU isnt something you go cheap with.

Thank you for the advice with the storage. Since people give high capacity SSD so much attention, i also planned to get one but i think you are right.

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
I already bought my CPU so there's no more changing in that unfortunately. I am aware that i need fast memory for the ryzen but i dont really know what MOBO is good. (main problem)

Yes, i mean closed loop just for the aesthetics of it. I looked also into noctua but their looks doesn't quite fit with the other components.

Also for the PSU, i already went and bought a seasonic PSU as i have also learned before that PSU isnt something you go cheap with.

Thank you for the advice with the storage. Since people give high capacity SSD so much attention, i also planned to get one but i think you are right.

The board you're looking at supports 3466 MHz so keep that in mind. As for overclocking it seems fine but I'd look at something else if you want to OC.

For that price range it seems to be one lf the best from what I see, you'll probably have to spend almost double if you want something significantly better.

AskMeKappa

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
The board you're looking at supports 3466 MHz so keep that in mind. As for overclocking it seems fine but I'd look at something else if you want to OC.

For that price range it seems to be one lf the best from what I see, you'll probably have to spend almost double if you want something significantly better.

Thanks a bunch! As for the memory, i looked into the 3600 MHz memories and they were out of my price ranged so i will be sticking with 3200Mhz rams.

Also, for ssd is it worth it to get a M.2 NVMe or just a plain 2.5" SATA SSD

NVMe drives are definitely worth it nowadays. They have become so cheap, yet are so much faster than SATA drives. Even from the high end SATA to low end NVMe, where cheap NVMe would be cheaper than expensive SATA, the NVMe drives are still faster.
If your 1300 budget includes the CPU and GPU you have already got, then this is probably your best choice:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($187.84 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($154.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B450 Gaming Plus ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($85.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Patriot - Scorch 256 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($46.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING AMP Video Card ($439.99 @ Mike's Computer Shop)
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Antec - Earthwatts Gold Pro 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($98.72 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $1303.51
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-22 03:18 EDT-0400

(You could save on the case and motherboard if you wish. I'd be happy to swap them out for some cheaper but still good ones)

However, if the 1300 budget doesn't include those part you have already got, then you could go a little bit further:
PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Asus - PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($210.99 @ PC-Canada)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z Royal 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($268.00 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Intel - 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($250.95 @ Vuugo)
Case: NZXT - H500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.50 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($117.99 @ PC-Canada)
Total: $1112.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-22 03:41 EDT-0400

Solution

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Thanks a bunch! As for the memory, i looked into the 3600 MHz memories and they were out of my price ranged so i will be sticking with 3200Mhz rams.

Also, for ssd is it worth it to get a M.2 NVMe or just a plain 2.5" SATA SSD
I like m2 since it's faster as long as it's NVME, just make sure it isn't a sata connection for an m.2 slot. So yeah I'd say worth as long as it isn't like 30$ more for you.

AskMeKappa

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hello not to be too annoying but I am undecided with my last part which is the motherboard. Since i have some extra cash right now im looking to get a x470 instead. I concluded that GIGABYTE x470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING or MSI x470 GAMING PLUS would be my motherboard of choice. Any advice on which is better?

Personally i like the look of gigabyte but i heard many people advice against it. As for the msi board, i heard that they are reliable with the price of not looking as good as the gigabyte board.

Thanks in advance

yaxy123

Reputable
Aug 3, 2017
Hello not to be too annoying but I am undecided with my last part which is the motherboard. Since i have some extra cash right now im looking to get a x470 instead. I concluded that GIGABYTE x470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING or MSI x470 GAMING PLUS would be my motherboard of choice. Any advice on which is better?

Personally i like the look of gigabyte but i heard many people advice against it. As for the msi board, i heard that they are reliable with the price of not looking as good as the gigabyte board.

Thanks in advance
I'd go for the Aorus one since it has better audio and has more fan connectors, it also tends to be more expensive. I think the VRMs are better on the Aorus one as well. The MSI one, however, supports faster RAM so if you wanna go for 3466 Mhz you can do that with that one, but I'd still go Aorus.

Gigabyte has a bigger market which leads to more faulty products by numbers but not necessarily by percentage. I know people that have done unthinkable things do their cheap budget gigabyte boards and they still work fine.