Need Some Advise on 'JBOD 4-bay enclosure'

pcsailor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hello,
I work on boats and I am having a storage issue and need more space. I am researching this and ideally would like two hard drives used for combined storage space and two other drives to mirror the first two (RAID 1+0). I have never set this up before and would look for the easiest set up possible for this configuration.

I am looking for JBOD 4-bay enclosure that I can use now and eventually work into a home NAS storage system (FreeNAS maybe?). Ideally I would like to buy 'four 4TB SSD drives' with the enclosure and spend US$600. Okay, please stop laughing and making fun of me, I know this doesn't exist and I'm living in a dream world.
My point is I am undecided on the following:
2.5 JBOD enclosure with four 2TB drives, or a
3.5 JBOD enclosure with four 4TB drives
I may add a 2.5 JBOD enclosure with two 1TB SSD drives.

The issue I am having is I cannot find a JBOD enclosure that seems simple, reliable, and efficient. I would appreciate some suggestions. Are there any upcoming storage upgrades coming down the pipe which I am unaware about?

I have looked at the following products but I am not sold on any of them so far.

1. Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 ProBox 4 Bay Hard Drive Enclosure
2. Promise Technology - not very compatible with Windows
3. Drobo - Uses their own software and locked into the Drobo system
4. Raidon SafeTANK 2.5in 4 Bay

I would appreciate any direction here.

Phil

pcsailor

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
Hi, not, moisture is not a concern. Good AC here. 'Boats' are pointing out I cannot go to a store, or get my mail easily. What ever I buy, and whenever I get it, has to work. Sending something back is difficult.

Thanks,
Phil