Question Need some assistance with my laptop, first time it shuts by itself, brand new laptop

Mikevanillas

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hello,

Im having a problem with my laptop, so the story is...

My girlfriend was playing a game with a cooler under the laptop, she told me the computer just did simply turned off (went just black for the first time ever). and she couldnt turn it back on.
the computer was warm, then while it was turned of it was being fed by the power and was getting really hot.

The laptop is: Asus X560UD i5-8250/ 8Gb ram ddr4 / gtx 1050.

i've already removed the M.2 card, changed the ram to a diferent slot, nothing physically wrong with the hardware.
Removed the battery and did press the power button 3 times for 30 seconds and more, already did try to turn it on without the battery, didn't succeed.

went i plug it to recieve power, not really sure if its the cpu zone wich gets hot, and the heat keeps building up! no light turns on, the fan doesnt move.

could this be a dead motherboard?
this computer has 5 months.

I would really appreciate some help.

Thank you, Micael.

Last edited:

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hi
That's not a good sign. From what you describe it seems it got hot when playing the game.
The real issue is why was it getting hot has it done this before?

All computers create heat, the cpu heat sink alone with the fans in the system. should take care of releasing the heat. Nomally if a system gets to hot it will shut down to protect the components from flailing.

Always have a laptop on a soild surface not on soft areas like beds etc that can block the vents from releaing the heat. Most warranties are for one year on laptops. I would find out how to send or take to a licensed sevice center.

Mikevanillas

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Hi
That's not a good sign. From what you describe it seems it got hot when playing the game.
The real issue is why was it getting hot has it done this before?

All computers create heat, the cpu heat sink alone with the fans in the system. should take care of releasing the heat. Nomally if a system gets to hot it will shut down to protect the components from flailing.

Always have a laptop on a soild surface not on soft areas like beds etc that can block the vents from releaing the heat. Most warranties are for one year on laptops. I would find out how to send or take to a licensed sevice center.

It's the first time doing this, plus it never gets hot, max 60-70 degrees. I find this behaviour really weird. And for the first time it turned off by itself. Still couldn't turn it on.
I think I'll try the warranty or something like that.
I couldn't find any problems similar to this...

Dave8671

Distinguished
Hmm this could be a motherboard failure, warranty on most are one year. Was this gaming on a battery? Cause if its getting hot while plugged in and not running I would remove the battery.

You said you removed the M.2 drive, did that have windows on it? If yes than you removed the boot drive.

Last edited: