Question Need some build advice / suggestions for each component.

Jul 30, 2022
Hello, I am looking to update my current system that aside from a few components is roughly 10 years old.
I am looking for guidance, opinion and alternative recommendations for the selected parts, i'll post the base questions by them.

I will use the system mostly for gaming and 3d modelling.
I have 2 1440p 144hz monitors.

-Current parts:
-MSI P67-gd-80 Motherboard
-3770k CPU (Any opinions on if this is still considered "decent")
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler.
-EVGA GTX 1070sc GPU
-16GB DDR3 Ripjaw Ram (2x8gb 1600)
-EVGA 600W GD PSU (Replaced a year ago from a CX750 that wore out)
-Samsung 830 120gb SSD boot drive.
-1 1tb hdd, 1 1.5tb hdd, 1 2tb hdd, 1 6tb hdd.
-HAF X chassis.

The parts I am looking to get are the following.

-MSI z690 Edge DDR5 Mobo (Looking for good recommendations from MSi, GB or Asus, any issues you've had, etc. Primary reason I picked MSI is because my current board lasted this long)
-12700k CPU. (Might wait for the 13th gen, just to have the nice skip 10 generations ahead, upcoming release, etc, seeking opinions on performance, issues or waiting)
-NZXT Z73 RGB cooler.
-EVGA 3080ti FTW GPU. (Likely going to wait for the 40 series considering the likely semi-soon release)
- 32gb(2x16) G-skill tridentZ RGB 6000mhz, OR corsair vengeance rgb same specs. (Don't want to go with DDR4 as when I got 3, it was basically the end of life for it, and i do not wish to do that again)
-EVGA 1000W P6 PSU.
-Samsung 980 PRO 2TB m.2 SSD.
-Whatever the best price/reliability 10TB+ 7200 HDD + the 6TB transplanted from old system.
-NZXT H7 Elite or Flow. (Anyone have temp issues with the elite? heard conflicting results)

I am looking for advice on if these parts are fully compatible, If you have experience with issues on any of them, if there are alternatives that might work well.
Also curious, the H7 elite comes with a fan controller, I know it will work with the case fans/cooler fans since they are NZXT brand as well, but I know very little about RGB setups, can you use the controller with other company fans (Corsair, Lian-li?)

Last edited:
Hello, I am looking to update my current system that aside from a few components is roughly 10 years old.
I am looking for guidance, opinion and alternative recommendations for the selected parts, i'll post the base questions by them.

I will use the system mostly for gaming and 3d modelling.
I have 2 1440p 144hz monitors.

-Current parts:
-MSI P67-gd-80 Motherboard
-3770k CPU (Any opinions on if this is still considered "decent")
-Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Cooler.
-EVGA GTX 1070sc GPU
-16GB DDR3 Ripjaw Ram (2x8gb 1600)
-EVGA 600W GD PSU (Replaced a year ago from a CX750 that wore out)
-Samsung 830 120gb SSD boot drive.
-1 1tb hdd, 1 1.5tb hdd, 1 2tb hdd, 1 6tb hdd.
-HAF X chassis.

The parts I am looking to get are the following.

-MSI z690 Edge DDR5 Mobo (Looking for good recommendations from MSi, GB or Asus, any issues you've had, etc. Primary reason I picked MSI is because my current board lasted this long)
-12700k CPU. (Might wait for the 13th gen, just to have the nice skip 10 generations ahead, upcoming release, etc, seeking opinions on performance, issues or waiting)
-NZXT Z73 RGB cooler.
-EVGA 3080ti FTW GPU. (Likely going to wait for the 40 series considering the likely semi-soon release)
- 32gb(2x16) G-skill tridentZ RGB 6000mhz, OR corsair vengeance rgb same specs. (Don't want to go with DDR4 as when I got 3, it was basically the end of life for it, and i do not wish to do that again)
-EVGA 1000W P6 PSU.
-Samsung 980 PRO 2TB m.2 SSD.
-Whatever the best price/reliability 10TB+ 7200 HDD + the 6TB transplanted from old system.
-NZXT H7 Elite or Flow. (Anyone have temp issues with the elite? heard conflicting results)

I am looking for advice on if these parts are fully compatible, If you have experience with issues on any of them, if there are alternatives that might work well.
Also curious, the H7 elite comes with a fan controller, I know it will work with the case fans/cooler fans since they are NZXT brand as well, but I know very little about RGB setups, can you use the controller with other company fans (Corsair, Lian-li?)
It all works together ^^ btw +1 on @Captain Discombobulate suggestion for the 12700F. That cpu uses less power and creates less heat than the 12700K yet nets you similar results.

Here's a case worth having a look at. It was recently released and has gotten nothing but good reviews.

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112601
LIAN LI Lancool III RGB Black Aluminum / SECC / Tempered Glass ATX Mid Tower Computer Case $159.99

https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-iii/

Light Color Button (C)
7 static colors

Light Mode Button (M)
8 lighting effects
8th sync to motherboard or L-Connect
Press 3 seconds to turn off the lighting

And here's a cost cutter.

ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB AIO $111.99

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Liquid-Freezer-RGB-Multi-Compatible/dp/B08WRWNNZ9/
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360 A-RGB AIO $134.60