[SOLVED] Need Some Clarity - 1080p Gaming With An Ampere GPU

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
This has probably been addressed before however i have a few questions and a major lack of understanding.

Looking to upgrade towards the end of this year, though my intent isn't to upgrade for higher resolutions, its to upgrade so i can achieve higher FPS rates for higher refresh rates while being able to visually enjoy the game (as opposed to downgrading graphics to achieve higher refresh rates consistently).

I've been overwhelmingly told that both the 3080 and 3090 would be overkill for 1080p gaming. I still haven't really had the "why" explained.
My main confusions can be summed up in a few questions;
  1. Lets make a hypothetical situation, if i was playing CoD Warzone and i wanted to run the game at nuts graphics, everything at absolutely maximum but also aim for 144Hz / 240Hz on my current rig i'd suffer, i typically have to downgrade graphics somewhat to achieve 120-ish on my 1080ti. I notice more than marginal difference on graphics settings in said game and rendering. If i were to hypothetically upgrade from say a 1080ti to a 3080 / 3090, where the difference in base statistics is almost double, on the maximum possible graphics in a game like Warzone, would i see higher FPS than on my 1080ti on medium settings?
  2. Why would say a 3080 or 3090 be overkill for achieving maximum possible frames in a modern title while also running on high graphical settings?
  3. Is CPU bottle-necking an important factor? If so how much would this effect potential gains at 1080p?
I figured some of you guys here might be more knowledgeable about how GPU's actually work and why / why not certain things are impacted. Thank you in advance, I've had trouble finding decent information about all of this and actually learning rather than just being told the conclusion.

Solution
This has probably been addressed before however i have a few questions and a major lack of understanding.

Looking to upgrade towards the end of this year, though my intent isn't to upgrade for higher resolutions, its to upgrade so i can achieve higher FPS rates for higher refresh rates while being able to visually enjoy the game (as opposed to downgrading graphics to achieve higher refresh rates consistently).

I've been overwhelmingly told that both the 3080 and 3090 would be overkill for 1080p gaming. I still haven't really had the "why" explained.
  1. Lets make a hypothetical situation, if i was playing CoD Warzone and i wanted to run the game at nuts graphics...
The lower your resolution is in a game, the less the GPU will need to process the graphics. Having a power GPU with maxed out graphics at 1080p is not very useful if your CPU is not powerful enough to process 144-240fps for high refresh rate monitors.

So if you don't even achieve your desired 144-240fps at 1080p in whatever game it is you want the high fps with your current system, upgrading the GPU is unlikely to help you. If you decided to get a 4k monitor or TV and wanted 60-120fps at 4k resolution, the RTX 2080TI, 3070 and 3080 make more sense, because the GPu would be pushed much more to 100% usage.

Upgrading the CPU first before changing GPU is far more likely to help you reach your target fps if you want to play at 1080p.

1. Lets make a hypothetical situation, if i was playing CoD Warzone and i wanted to run the game at nuts graphics, everything at absolutely maximum but also aim for 144Hz / 240Hz on my current rig i'd suffer, i typically have to downgrade graphics somewhat to achieve 120-ish on my 1080ti. I notice more than marginal difference on graphics settings in said game and rendering. If i were to hypothetically upgrade from say a 1080ti to a 3080 / 3090, where the difference in base statistics is almost double, on the maximum possible graphics in a game like Warzone, would i see higher FPS than on my 1080ti on medium settings?
  2. Why would say a 3080 or 3090 be overkill for achieving maximum possible frames in a modern title while also running on high graphical settings?
  3. Is CPU bottle-necking an important factor? If so how much would this effect potential gains at 1080p?
I figured some of you guys here might be more knowledgeable about how GPU's actually work and why / why not certain things are impacted. Thank you in advance, I've had trouble finding decent information about all of this and actually learning rather than just being told the conclusion.

The 3080/3090 will be overkill for most at 1080p for sure, but if you wanted to run a game at max settings and push very high fps at the same time, then yes, the argument could definitely be made.

I have an RTX 2080. I mostly game at 4K, but for Metro Exodus I played at 1080p everything ultra including ray tracing. My average fps was 80. If I wanted to play at 144 fps for example, I would need a much more powerful GPU like the RTX 3080 for example.

To push high fps, you'll need to make sure that you have a CPU that can keep up. Could you please list the specs for your whole system as it is currently?

Solution
Generally the 2080Ti was widely accepted as overkill for 1080p and with the 3070 being on the same level I can see why people say a 3080/3090 will be overkill considering they are a significant step up over a 2080Ti.

However that viewpoint of a 2080Ti being overkill is based on most users needs across an average selection of games, on average the FPS is going to be limited by the cpu long before the gpu and hence people say ‘bottleneck’. If you have a specific requirement like running COD MW at close to max settings and your cpu has the performance to push 160+ FPS then it’s likely a 2080Ti/3070 could be fully utilised @ 1080p.

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
The 3080/3090 will be overkill for most at 1080p for sure, but if you wanted to run a game at max settings and push very high fps at the same time, then yes, the argument could definitely be made.

I have an RTX 2080. I mostly game at 4K, but for Metro Exodus I played at 1080p everything ultra including ray tracing. My average fps was 80. If I wanted to play at 144 fps for example, I would need a much more powerful GPU like the RTX 3080 for example.

To push high fps, you'll need to make sure that you have a CPU that can keep up. Could you please list the specs for your whole system as it is currently?

This is all for a new build rather than upgrading my current build as all my stuff is currently 2-3 generations behind.

The planned route so far is to couple the new GPU with a 3700x or 3900x and then upgrade with Zen 3 to say a 4900x when they release it, which should be just around the corner (going to get a B550 or X570 mobo so i can said action).

However that viewpoint of a 2080Ti being overkill is based on most users needs across an average selection of games, on average the FPS is going to be limited by the cpu long before the gpu and hence people say ‘bottleneck’. If you have a specific requirement like running COD MW at close to max settings and your cpu has the performance to push 160+ FPS then it’s likely a 2080Ti/3070 could be fully utilised @ 1080p.

Indeed, mainly been trying to find how i would calculate if say a 3090 would provide any difference in FPS over a 3080 at 1080p on maximum on a modern title, especially when seeking 240 FPS.

Just over turning resolution scale down to like 75% or running everything on potato to meet my 240Hz mark, i just cant appreciate the game as much.

This is all for a new build rather than upgrading my current build as all my stuff is currently 2-3 generations behind.

The planned route so far is to couple the new GPU with a 3700x or 3900x and then upgrade with Zen 3 to say a 4900x when they release it, which should be just around the corner (going to get a B550 or X570 mobo so i can said action).

Indeed, mainly been trying to find how i would calculate if say a 3090 would provide any difference in FPS over a 3080 at 1080p on maximum on a modern title, especially when seeking 240 FPS.

Just over turning resolution scale down to like 75% or running everything on potato to meet my 240Hz mark, i just cant appreciate the game as much.

I would say definitely buy a solid x570 motherboard. PCIe 4.0 isn't going to make much difference to most people initially, but you are going to be running with a PCIe 4.0 GPU, and you should also get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD.

RTX I/O was a feature announced that will allow the GPU to get data directly from the SSD, reducing CPU load. When this becomes supported in games, the PCIe 4.0 interface and the speed of your SSD are going to matter a lot more than they do now.

So if you're willing to buy a 3090 and a 3900x for 1080p gaming, definitely budget for a x570 motherboard and a PCIe 4.0 SSD (like the new Sabrent Rocket Plus for example).

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
I would say definitely buy a solid x570 motherboard. PCIe 4.0 isn't going to make much difference to most people initially, but you are going to be running with a PCIe 4.0 GPU, and you should also get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD.

RTX I/O was a feature announced that will allow the GPU to get data directly from the SSD, reducing CPU load. When this becomes supported in games, the PCIe 4.0 interface and the speed of your SSD are going to matter a lot more than they do now.

So if you're willing to buy a 3090 and a 3900x for 1080p gaming, definitely budget for a x570 motherboard and a PCIe 4.0 SSD (like the new Sabrent Rocket Plus for example).

Awesome, thanks for the info, do you think the 3090 would offer any major advantage over a 3080 in this given situation?

Awesome, thanks for the info, do you think the 3090 would offer any major advantage over a 3080 in this given situation?

Advantage? Yes.
Major advantage? No.

The 3090 has about 25% more CUDA cores than the 3080 for double the price. I say get the 3080 and if its not powerful enough for you, you can sell it for a very small loss in value (because everyone is clamoring for one of these right now) and then buy a 3090. I find it highly unlikely that you'll find the 3080 lacking even for your purposes though.

WhiteWolfOW_

Prominent
Mar 13, 2019
Advantage? Yes.
Major advantage? No.

The 3090 has about 25% more CUDA cores than the 3080 for double the price. I say get the 3080 and if its not powerful enough for you, you can sell it for a very small loss in value (because everyone is clamoring for one of these right now) and then buy a 3090. I find it highly unlikely that you'll find the 3080 lacking even for your purposes though.

Yeah, figured that some of the AIBs (we cant get FE down here in Australia) will probably have 5-10% performance increases on the 3080 that'll nullify the gap even more anyways.

If its the Titan equivalent however based on previous Titan models id imagine the card doesn't offer anything for 1080p gaming over the flagship model (2080ti vs RTX Titan for instance).

I'll probably stick with the 3080 in that case, save me some money (and not regret an impulse buy), only need my graphics + 240fps needs met and a little future proofing for single player releases.