Question Need some feedback on all of the NVidia and Intel problems

divadoll

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2015
I am planning a new gaming build and am still not sure about all the parts. Over the time I have procrastinated, I have seen that there may be issues with the parts I am considering. Since I am not an AMD fan (although the recent reviews may change my mind), I am looking at an I7 8700 or 9700. The extreme chips usually run hot so I stay away from them. My last computer had a 2600K. I get alerts and read a lot on the web. Apparently there is a problem with these chips, especially with hyperthreading due to a Zombieload Exploit. I've been told for my use the hyperthreading would be good. However, in order to avoid this attack to those chips, it was advised to shut off hyperthreading, rendering the chip into a 2 or 4 core. Clearly I am not interested in building a computing that will be garbage or an overpriced underperforming hunk of junk. Can folks weigh in on this please? I really do not want to go with AMD - so what do I do?

For a graphics card, I have to admit I do not play the top games since many are military or role playing. I play older games and also need graphics for artwork and photoshop. I was considering the new 1660ti, the 2060 and the 2070. I see rumors that Nvidia is going to release something comparable to a ti card for the 2060 and 2070. I have read reports of problems with the RTX 2000 series cards and now the 1660ti seem to have issues. I never saw so many problems with parts. Again, I would appreciate folks weighing in.

BTW, I am in the US and wanting to build a desktop. My last computer is a dead, paperweight Alienware Aurora 3 piece of garbage. It lasted one year and they voided my warranty because they couldn't fix it and would not replace it. Yes, I should have sued but it is too late for that. Thus the interest in having a custom rig built. I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on the problems and also any advice as to how to proceed. Lots of new stuff is coming soon I hear. But I know you can wait forever for the next best thing. My price range is around $1500 with a little leeway.

Thanks in advance.

If you prefer Intel then I would go with the 9700K.
Intel prices are still high because of their CPU shortage.
There are other options you did not mention like type of cooling (air, water) and PC case size (Mid-tower, mini tower, etc.).
Do you like lighting (RGB) or do you prefer plain, business like, cases?
The 2060 does very well.
Which issues are you referring to?
I have built several system with EVGA 2060 and 2070 and I have not encountered any issues.

It is good to read or view online info to keep informed. Just because there is a bug that could infect a CPU it does not automatically means everyone with such CPU will be attacked.
If that was the case, pretty much you will have to disconnect from the Internet altogether. There are bugs and exploits available for every software title and piece hardware in a PC.

Last edited:
the 9700K does very well in all games....

If your case can accommodate a tall conventional cooler/sink, look at the Noctua NH-D15...you'd be hard pressed to find a better cooler, and could easily spend more on a fluid solution that does not cool nearly as well...

TRENDING THREADS