Reputable
May 12, 2020
PC specs:
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (stock) paired with the H60 AIO liquid cooler
GPU: Zotac RTX2060 Super Mini
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F
PSU: Cooler Master MWE 650 Gold

Hello guys,

This is my first custom PC built, and I've been worried about the temperatures. The CPU idles at 55c (someone and ~76c under load, the GPU idles at 48c and ~82c under load. I'm getting the MX-4 thermal paste in about 2 weeks time and I hope it can help with the temperatures since I didn't repaste it the last time I took the cooler off. Also, the ambient temperatures here are ~32c/35c

Was wondering if you guys could see if there's anything wrong with the current layout of the fans and radiator, and maybe give some tips on what I can do to improve the temperatures. I have 2 ML140s as intake on the front, 2 120mm fans on the top as exhaust, and the H60 radiator with a ML120 as exhaust on the rear.

Solution
Oh, that's not good...
You have your top fans essentially pulling cold air out of the chassis. That's not doing your hardware any favors.
The cpu cooler is pretty much being 'cooled' by the gpu's exhaust...

Easily fixed though:
-Remove the rad from the rear
-Take the be quiet fan and move it to rear exhaust
-Take the remaining top fan and just slide it to the back, next to the rear fan - as exhaust
-Top mount the rad next to the other top exhaust fan - also as exhaust
Done.

Okay, I can understand this, but I think I might have messed up when I took off the cooler from the CPU and didn't reapply the thermal paste.

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
This is a common misconception.
IF it is applied correctly, the thermal paste's role in cooling is very minor compared to that of the heatsink/radiator and fans.
As justquant asked, what is the chassis?

Okay, I can understand this, but I think I might have messed up when I took off the cooler from the CPU and didn't reapply the thermal paste.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, that's not good...
You have your top fans essentially pulling cold air out of the chassis. That's not doing your hardware any favors.

Easily fixed though:
-Take the remaining top fan and just slide it to the back, next to the rear fan - as exhaust
Done.

Thermal paste should always be reapplied when separating coolers from cpus. Not doing so can create air pockets, reducing thermal transfer.

Solution

mrakiraishimaru

Reputable
May 12, 2020
Oh, that's not good...

Easily fixed though:
Done.

Thermal paste should always be reapplied when separating coolers from cpus. Not doing so can create air pockets, reducing thermal transfer.

Oh wow, didn't have any clue that I had the exhaust fans set up wrongly, thank you for clearing that up. Will change the positions of the fans accordingly. Thank you so much.

Just another question though, would it affect the performance if I were to leave the ML120 on the rear, and install the fan that came with the H60 back on the radiator? Or would it be better to use the ML120 with the radiator?

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Okay, thank you :)
Okay, thank you :)

Hello ,

Can you say what is your ambient temperature? and where you live?

For my case i have three fans at front and one at exhaust, my stock did 55 idle and load 85 plus,

but after going for Antec A400 i could bring it up to 41 idle, but all these depends upon your ambient temperature and where you live.

in summer it teaches 38 - 40 in chennai india, so if you use liquid cooling your cpu temp will do mid 30s,

but given that Ryzen 5 3600 throttling is 95c we are well off with stock cooler itself, but for cpu life if we go for custom cooling. but all these will depend upon our ambient temperature also.

So bottom line is like my setup if you have normal three fans at front and one exhaust, with one tower air cooler like ANTEC A400 you can do 40 idle and 70deg at games.

Remember: Always change the thermal paste while reinstalling any cpu cooler.