Question Need some feedback on prospective build

vwcrusher

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2012
I am about to place some orders for a system upgrade (last one was 7 years ago), and would appreciate some feedback on component selection.

Use will be Adobe Lightroom, some 1440p 60Hz gaming and general use.

Initially I liked the 3700X, but perhaps for 20% more the 3800X would be a better choice? Based on some reviews I do not intend to overclock the CPU, but maybe RAM. Regarding MB, the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite unless there is an equally good, better value choice.

I am somewhat confused regarding RAM (I intend to install 32GB); after reading it seems that 3600MHz speed is preferrable? Also, from what I have read latency is not as big a factor; so is 19 ok?

Lastly, storage: My plan is for one 500GB NVMe SSD for W10 and applications, and one 1TB NVMe SSD for data. As far as what specific drive, I thought a Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, and an Intel 660p for data. This is based on where to invest in speed versus cost, but honestly, I don't really understand if these are the best choice.

For reference, the rest of the system is as follows:
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 650W Gold
  • GPU: EVGA GTX 1070ti (overclocked)
  • Case: FD Define R6
Hopefully, this is enough information...thanks very much for the help.

I haven't seen much information about how RAM clock rates versus latency affect Ryzen 3000 processors quite yet, so I can't say exactly how 3600 CAS 19 would compare to something like 3200 CAS 16, for example.

Do you own the 1070 Ti already? I'm just wondering, since if you are buying a new card at this time, it's possible to get more performance for the money from some newer cards now.