[SOLVED] Need some general advice on upgrading quite an outdated spec

Sep 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to upgrade the graphics card on my PC but unfortunately, I don't really have as much knowledge as I would like. The spec I currently have is pretty old, as I got it in 2013-2014 for fairly cheap and whilst it worked for what I wanted to do then, it is seriously dropping off now. I guess what I am really asking for is general advice on upgrading everything, so if this is not the right forum to post this, pointing me in the right direction will be really appreciated.

In terms of what I want to achieve with this, I basically want to be able to play most current games at High Graphics whilst maintaining ~60 fps. I realize that it may take a lot of work to achieve that, so that is why I haven't provided a price, as I will most likely have to replace a majority of the parts, so this will be something where I set the price point after I know what I need to do!

I am located in the UK and I apologise that my knowledge is so rudimentary, but I will try to answer any questions you may have to the best of my ability!

My Current Spec:
Operating System:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU :
AMD Athlon X4 750K 28 °C
Trinity 32nm Technology

RAM :
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-12-28)

Motherboard :
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. F2A55M-HD2 (P0) 42 °C

Graphics :
2270W (1920x1080@60Hz)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R7 200 Series (ATI AIB) 49 °C

Power Supply :
Vibox FSP500-60HCN 500W

Storage :
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 ATA Device (SATA ) 37 °C

Optical Drives :
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device

Audio :
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Solution
You're already on the right thought.

That Athlon won't do in recent games, especially for your target. (high @ stable 60 fps)

The graphics are the integrated ones (which besides the fact that they also aren't powerful enough) would go out together with the processor.

The RAM seems to be DDR3-1600, any new available parts would need DDR4, so that is also a replacement.

The hard drive is fine, although adding an SSD, even if only as system drive, would greatly improve the day-to-day snappiness and Windows 10 tends to run a lot on the drive anyway.

So yes, it's pretty much a completely new system. Which brings in the point of budget.
You're already on the right thought.

That Athlon won't do in recent games, especially for your target. (high @ stable 60 fps)

The graphics are the integrated ones (which besides the fact that they also aren't powerful enough) would go out together with the processor.

The RAM seems to be DDR3-1600, any new available parts would need DDR4, so that is also a replacement.

The hard drive is fine, although adding an SSD, even if only as system drive, would greatly improve the day-to-day snappiness and Windows 10 tends to run a lot on the drive anyway.

So yes, it's pretty much a completely new system. Which brings in the point of budget.

Solution