[SOLVED] Need some help/advice for prebuilt PC purchase

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new to PC components, i need some advice whether it is worth the price to buy prebuilt below as suggested from my local computer store? Do i need to change any components? I'm using a 1440p monitor and gonna use it for gaming & streaming.

BUILD A
CPU:
INTEL CORE I5-12400F TRAY PROCESSOR
CPU COOLER: DEEPCOOL AK620 AIR COOLER
MOBO: MSI B660M-A PRO WIFI DDR4 MATX MOTHERBOARD
GPU: MSI RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X 8G OC LHR GRAPHIC CARD
RAM: KINGSTON FURY 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ SDRAM BEAST RGB KF432C16BBAK2/16
SSD: KINGSTON 1000GB M.2 NVME SSD NV2 (SNV2S/1000G)
CASING: DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 MESH (4 FAN) ARGB ATX CASIN
PSU: ANTEC 650W VP650P PLUS GB 80+ NON MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
TOTAL PRICE: USD$1,285

BUILD B
CPU:
INTEL CORE I5-12600KF TRAY PROCESSOR
CPU COOLER: DEEPCOOL AK620 AIR COOLER
MOBO: MSI B660M-A PRO WIFI DDR4 MATX MOTHERBOARD
GPU: ROG STRIX GEFORCE RTX 3070 OC EDITION 8GB GDDR6
RAM: KINGSTON FURY 2X8GB DDR4 3200MHZ SDRAM BEAST RGB KF432C16BBAK2/16
SSD: KINGSTON 1000GB M.2 NVME SSD NV2 (SNV2S/1000G)
CASING: DEEPCOOL MATREXX 55 MESH (4 FAN) ARGB ATX CASIN
PSU: ANTEC 650W VP650P PLUS GB 80+ NON MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
TOTAL PRICE: USD$1,571

Solution
Avoid ALL Aerocool power supplies EXCEPT the Aerocool Project 7. The rest are all junk. If they have a 650w or 750w Aerocool Project 7, it's really decent. The rest of Aerocool's power supplies are terrible.

I would REALLY recommend you tell them that you want to either wait for the Antec High current gamer to come back in stock, or see if you can just buy a power supply and take it to them to include in the build. If not, then go with the Deepcool DQ750M-V2L if you have no other choices because that's the only one they have that is even worth considering.

If you can get one, any of the models below would be good. Not the brand, the MODEL. Don't assume that a brand means good. Brands have both good and bad models so choose always...
If you feel you are unable to assemble a build yourself, then yes, they might be worth it if they come with a decent warranty AND if you can possibly upgrade the power supply to a better model. That Antec VP650P is not a great model and certainly not what you want to be using to run a gaming system with a pretty decent graphics card. Probably also need to consider whether this comes with a valid Windows license or whether you'll need to supply that yourself, as that might be an additional cost and you don't want to resort to trying to use cheap "gray" keys off sites like Kinguin or CDkeys.

If you are willing and able to assemble it yourself, you can likely get a similar build for less or a better quality build for around the same price, maybe a bit less, maybe just a tiny bit more.

Last edited:
Reactions: StuX
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M Steel Legend Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card ($650.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $1190.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-12 01:20 EST-0500

Reactions: Karadjgne and StuX

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
If you feel you are unable to assemble a build yourself, then yes, they might be worth it if they come with a decent warranty AND if you can possibly upgrade the power supply to a better model. That Antec VP650P is not a great model and certainly not what you want to be using to run a gaming system with a pretty decent graphics card. Probably also need to consider whether this comes with a valid Windows license or whether you'll need to supply that yourself, as that might be an additional cost and you don't want to resort to trying to use cheap "gray" keys off sites like Kinguin or CDkeys.

If you are willing and able to assemble it yourself, you can likely get a similar build for less or a better quality build for around the same price, maybe a bit less.

Hi Darkbreeze,

Thank you for your advice. Tbh, I'm not really that confident to assemble my own pc build but i can try my best to build one and i'm also not really good at cable management. Alright but my local computer shop have limited parts to choose from. As for PSU, they only have below (refer link below);

View: https://imgur.com/a/6cwzsHc

The prebuilt do comes with OEM window 10 key and i'm not sure about the warranty.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12400 2.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B660M Steel Legend Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: TEAMGROUP T-Force Cardea Zero Z330 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card ($650.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg Sellers)
Total: $1190.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-11-12 01:20 EST-0500

I'll try ask for quote if any local computer stores have any components as above. And thank you for the list.

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
The Antec High current gamer 750w (HCG750) would be a fine choice. Much better than the VP650P.

Alright. Do Rog Strix RTX 3070 OC Edition 8GB GDDR6 and I5-12600KF is a great combo? Do i need upgrade to i7? And as for the CPU cooler, do i need to change to AIO cooler or air cooler is fine? Let me know the Build B will cause any bottleneck if playing using 1440p monitor.

The 12600kf is fine with that graphics card.

That air cooler is good. It will work fine on that 12600kf.

The 3070 should do fine at 1440p. You aren't going to be able to play at ultra settings on all titles, but most of them should be good and should be good for at high settings on most others.

Not knowing where the op is located, if you happen to be in the USA and have a microcenter in the area you may print the lists out and head over there. In my local microcenter the people in build your own are pretty knowledgeable about what seems to work well. Also they have a service I think it used to be $130 that they would assemble the pc for you. Not sure what they’d charge to install windows.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For Tray Processors, Intel generally offers a year-one limited warranty solely to direct customers such as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), resellers and Intel authorized distributors. Intel processors contained in OEM systems are subject to OEM manufacturer warranties and generally are not supported directly by Intel.
Starting with the 12th Generation Intel® Desktop tray processors, Intel’s limited warranty to direct customers is extended to three years.

In other words, you have Zero warranty from Intel with a tray processor, the Only warranty that exists is from the builder.

The 12600KF is the better cpu, but I cannot see it being worth an additional $300 over the already asked for price of the 12400F, considering the rest of the build is essentially the same.

The 12600KF is the better cpu, but I cannot see it being worth an additional $300 over the already asked for price of the 12400F, considering the rest of the build is essentially the same.

The 12600kf is DEFINITELY not worth more than maybe 70-80 dollars over the 12400f, if that.

For Tray Processors, Intel generally offers a year-one limited warranty solely to direct customers such as Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs), resellers and Intel authorized distributors. Intel processors contained in OEM systems are subject to OEM manufacturer warranties and generally are not supported directly by Intel.
Starting with the 12th Generation Intel® Desktop tray processors, Intel’s limited warranty to direct customers is extended to three years.

In other words, you have Zero warranty from Intel with a tray processor, the Only warranty that exists is from the builder.

When you buy from a builder, you NEVER have a warranty direct from Intel. Intel warranties are ONLY, EVER, good for the direct buyer. If you buy from ANY prebuild system manufacturer whether it is CybercrapPC, iBuyCrap PC, Dell (More crap. LOL), or whoever it is, your ONLY warranty is ALWAYS only through them. It is NEVER extended to third parties. And it's more than just Intel. That goes for practically every piece of hardware you get as part of the build. Try to RMA a graphics card bought as part of a prebuilt system. Try it. I promise you, every manufacturer will tell you to go pound sand and talk to whoever you bought it from. EVERY time. At least in the USA anyhow. And it doesn't matter if it's a "tray" processor, or a retail processor. You are not the original purchaser of the retail processor, even if you buy from a boutique assembler like Maingear or Digital storm, and if you attempt to RMA a part bought as part of an assembled system that somebody other than you originally purchased the parts for, you will be referred back to whoever sold it to you UNLESS they are willing to provide you with the original purchase documentation and NO builder, aside from private ones like me, are going to do that. I know this for a fact, as I've dealt with it with several customers who've had this issue with HP, Walmart and CyberCrap PC.

Fortunately, at least with bigger companies like Dell, HP and Lenovo, they usually have decent warranties, with extended warranties available, and are usually pretty good about taking care of their customers. Usually. Which is more than you can say about pretty much any of the custom or boutique builders and prebuilt sales ripoffs.

Last edited:
And I think you go with Build B option, that will be more valuable than Build A.
So you think that paying 300 dollars more for a CPU that only costs 80 dollars more if you bought the parts individually, is more "valuable"? What is it that you think is more valuable about build B than build A, since the CPU is the only thing that is different really other than the graphics cards and those are the same tier as each other anyhow?

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
Hi guys, sorry for the reply and thanks for the advice. But I have already confirmed to purchase bundle below;

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler
MOBO: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Antec NeoECO Gold 750W (NE750G M) 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total Price: USD$1500.00

The reason why I choose rtx 3070 ventus 3x over strix due budget issues. And as for PSU, they have changed to antec NE750G M model due antec HCG750 model is out of stock. I'm not sure whether it is worth to buy this PC bundle but do let me know if there is anything to change for future upgrade.

NO!!!! You do NOT want that NeoECO Gold 750w. It's not good quality at all. It's a poor quality Andyson built platform. The only PSU models listed on that image you posted are the High current gamer (HCG) models. The rest, are a waste of your money. If you can't get them to include a decent quality PSU, and I can't overstate this, then order from a different company. You will almost certainly end up having problems sooner or later with any of the other models on that list with the kind of hardware you are planning to use it with.

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
NO!!!! You do NOT want that NeoECO Gold 750w. It's not good quality at all. It's a poor quality Andyson built platform. The only PSU models listed on that image you posted are the High current gamer (HCG) models. The rest, are a waste of your money. If you can't get them to include a decent quality PSU, and I can't overstate this, then order from a different company. You will almost certainly end up having problems sooner or later with any of the other models on that list with the kind of hardware you are planning to use it with.

Yeah but i already contact the shop and they will change the NeoECO Gold 750W to Deepcool DQ750M-V2L. Let me know whether this is ok to use. They have only have stock for NeoECO Gold 750W and Deepcool DQ750M-V2L.

Or do you have any other recommended PSU unit? I'll have them to search and buy from other shop.

Last edited:
That is a little better, but not much. The review of that unit shows it has some rather poor quality parts inside. It has ok performance, when new, but it uses low quality fets and caps and has a very noisy, agressive fan profile as seen in the review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-v2l-850w-power-supply-review/6

Honestly, you need to take a look at the list at the following link and if it isn't a model listed somewhere on Tier A, then I would pass on it.

The bottom line is, they are trying to pass off cheap, lower quality models to you on these builds because the power supply is where most of these system builders make their money. They include super cheap power supplies but charge you a price for the whole system as if a high quality model was included, so they make an extra 60-70 bucks on each system that way.

That unit is better than the NeoECO Gold, but I would still not recommend it. Where are you located and where is it that you are trying to buy this from? Maybe I can point you to a better solution.

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
That is a little better, but not much. The review of that unit shows it has some rather poor quality parts inside. It has ok performance, when new, but it uses low quality fets and caps and has a very noisy, agressive fan profile as seen in the review.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-gamerstorm-dq-m-v2l-850w-power-supply-review/6

Honestly, you need to take a look at the list at the following link and if it isn't a model listed somewhere on Tier A, then I would pass on it.

The bottom line is, they are trying to pass off cheap, lower quality models to you on these builds because the power supply is where most of these system builders make their money. They include super cheap power supplies but charge you a price for the whole system as if a high quality model was included, so they make an extra 60-70 bucks on each system that way.

That unit is better than the NeoECO Gold, but I would still not recommend it. Where are you located and where is it that you are trying to buy this from? Maybe I can point you to a better solution.

Hmm alright, or can you suggest me which PSU model should i get for my build? I saw the tier list but I don't really understand.

I'm currently located around the Asia country. Was trying to buy from my local shop. But they only have two supply unit that currently stock. I don't mind if there is any additional/extra bucks as long the PC can last longer.

Edit: The shop suggested me to get either super flower / corsair RX or HX PSU unit.

Last edited:
Ok, so on the second picture you had posted, are those Cooler master and ASUS units among the ones that are available to you?

These ones?

OCR90ZY.png

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
Ok, so on the second picture you had posted, are those Cooler master and ASUS units among the ones that are available to you?

These ones?

OCR90ZY.png

I have asked them, they currently out of stock for both cooler master and asus. But they can only get Aerocool mirage gold PSU from other local shop.

Avoid ALL Aerocool power supplies EXCEPT the Aerocool Project 7. The rest are all junk. If they have a 650w or 750w Aerocool Project 7, it's really decent. The rest of Aerocool's power supplies are terrible.

I would REALLY recommend you tell them that you want to either wait for the Antec High current gamer to come back in stock, or see if you can just buy a power supply and take it to them to include in the build. If not, then go with the Deepcool DQ750M-V2L if you have no other choices because that's the only one they have that is even worth considering.

If you can get one, any of the models below would be good. Not the brand, the MODEL. Don't assume that a brand means good. Brands have both good and bad models so choose always by MODEL. Models are in parenthesis below next to the brand.

Corsair (TX, RM, RMx,)

Seasonic (Focus Plus, Prime, Core GX)

Super Flower Leadex series (II, III, V, VI, etc.)

Thermaltake (Toughpower grand, Toughpower GF 1 PE, Toughpower GF 2)

EVGA (G2, G3, G6, G7, GQ, P2, P5)

Antec (Earthwatts Gold Pro, High current gamer, Edge, High current Pro)

Be Quiet (Dark power pro 11, Dark power pro 12, Pure power 11 FM, Straight power 11)

Cooler Master (V650 v2, V750 v2, V platinum)

BitFenix (Formula Gold, Whisper M)

Enermax (Revolution D.F)

FSP (Hydro G Pro)

Reactions: StuX
Solution

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020

These ones?

OCR90ZY.png

I have checked with them and they have PSU stock below;

ANTEC 750W NE750G 80+ GOLD SEMI MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 750W NE750G M 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ASUS 750W TUF-FAMING-750B 80+ BRONZE POWER SUPPLY

ANTEC 650W NE650M V2 80+ BRONZE SEMI MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 650W NE650G 80+ GOLD SEMI MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 650W HCG650 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 650W VP650P PLUS GB 80+ NON MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 650W NE650G M 80+ GOLD FULL MODULAR POWER SUPPLY
ANTEC 650W CSK650 80+ BRONZE POWER SUPPLY
ASUS 650W ROG-STRIX-650G FULL MODULAR 80+ GOLD POWER SUPPLY
MONTECH 650W CENTURY FULL MODULAR 80+ GOLD POWER SUPPLY

I have asked them to check for cooler master and corsair for any stock.

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
This one.

ASUS 650W ROG-STRIX-650G FULL MODULAR 80+ GOLD POWER SUPPLY

Hi Darkbreeze,

I have ask them to find better PSU based on the list you provided. The best they can find is CM V Gold 750W V2 Full Modular around USD$136.00. Previously NE750G M cost around USD$50.00.

Below are my final build;

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler
MOBO: MSI PRO B660M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Kingston Fury Renegade 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3070 VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Cooler Master V750 Gold V2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total Amount: USD$1,585.00

The V750 v2 is a good choice. It's a pretty good unit. You will be happy with it and the price is really not unreasonable considering that everything is a little more expensive than normal right now. Well, it might be the NEW normal though. Either way, 136 bucks for that unit is not terrible at all.

Considering it an investment in protecting the rest of your hardware.

StuX

Commendable
Aug 15, 2020
The V750 v2 is a good choice. It's a pretty good unit. You will be happy with it and the price is really not unreasonable considering that everything is a little more expensive than normal right now. Well, it might be the NEW normal though. Either way, 136 bucks for that unit is not terrible at all.

Considering it an investment in protecting the rest of your hardware.

Yes. Its just to be safe to get 750w rather than getting 650w. Luckly my local computer store found one last stock for CM V750 V2 PSU and its not too overprice.

It's all thanks to you. I coulnd't have a good PC build without any of your advice/feedback.