[SOLVED] Need some help calculating a minimum PSU

Apr 10, 2021
Build, as of current date: (Yes, I know it's pretty obsolete, but I'll focus on upgrading when I get this current build running.

Case: Cougar MX-330
MBD: Asus Pro-Gamer B85(Old, I know, but was cheap)
CPU: I7-4770
RAM: 8x2 Team Elite(16gb total)
HDD: Hitachi 1TB, 7200 RPM.

Newegg calculator says that is a total of 480 Minimum, so would a 600W PSU be enough to make room for an eventual GPU? Not looking for a god-tier GPU, just something on the Oculus Link Minimum Requirements(Like the Radeon 1000-6000 series, or even something as simple as a GTX 980).

Solution
If the build works, forget about it being obsolete., If you were planning to drop in a discrete card for gaming with the latest titles titles in mind, then yes it's obsolete,. if it's for a work from home system, then no it's still got life left in it.

Use this chart to give you a baseline number for wattage;
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
then add some more for headroom. As for a PSU, you will also need a reliably built unit. I would shoot for a Seasonic unit or a Corsair (CX unit at the very least for the CX's).

What is your location, your preferred site for purchase and your budget for the PSU?

Lutfij

Titan
If the build works, forget about it being obsolete., If you were planning to drop in a discrete card for gaming with the latest titles titles in mind, then yes it's obsolete,. if it's for a work from home system, then no it's still got life left in it.

Use this chart to give you a baseline number for wattage;
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
then add some more for headroom. As for a PSU, you will also need a reliably built unit. I would shoot for a Seasonic unit or a Corsair (CX unit at the very least for the CX's).

What is your location, your preferred site for purchase and your budget for the PSU?

Solution
For a 980, should look for a 650w or above, preferably within Tier B...

Reactions: EnrohNyved

TRENDING THREADS