[SOLVED] Need some help choosing budget tablet

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
Hello,
I need a budget tablet for my mom and so far narrowed it down to 32gb versions of Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5, 10.1 (2019) and Huawei Mediapad M5 Lite 10.1.
Can someone suggest which one would be better? 10.5 and M5 Lite have more ram and better speakers while newer 10.1 has only 2gb ram. Tablet will be used mostly for browsing internet and streaming movies/tv, camera doesn't matter much.
Right now I can get 10.1 for around 210 eur; 10.5 for 220 eur and M5 Lite for 250 eur. I'm open to any other suggestions.
Other alternatives I've looked:
Amazon Fire HD 10 - lack of google play store is a big one and not really using any of amazon services.
iPad 10.2 (2019) - can get for 350 eur but is it really worth the extra 100+ eur jump? And there's no sd card slot.
iPad 9.7 (2018) - goes around for same as new iPad 10.2
Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
Here's a comparison: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9263&idPhone2=9351&idPhone3=9582

I'd go for the Tab A 2019 or the Mediapad M5. Both have more powerful CPU's and GPU's. I've heard great things about the Mediapads. They are very popular. You could make the argument that Huawei may have issues with Google Play (i'd expect that to be resolved soon.) With that said, there is no impact yet on devices already sold, so it may be a moot point.

The GPU in the Tab A(2019) is a bit stronger than in the Mediapad. It's a toss up between those two for me. I'd lean towards the Tab A, as it's a slightly newer process design.
Here's a comparison: https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=9263&idPhone2=9351&idPhone3=9582

I'd go for the Tab A 2019 or the Mediapad M5. Both have more powerful CPU's and GPU's. I've heard great things about the Mediapads. They are very popular. You could make the argument that Huawei may have issues with Google Play (i'd expect that to be resolved soon.) With that said, there is no impact yet on devices already sold, so it may be a moot point.

The GPU in the Tab A(2019) is a bit stronger than in the Mediapad. It's a toss up between those two for me. I'd lean towards the Tab A, as it's a slightly newer process design.

Solution

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015

Thanks. And 2gb ram will be fine? Also I wonder why 10.5 is still more expensive than 10.1

Thanks. And 2gb ram will be fine? Also I wonder why 10.5 is still more expensive than 10.1
I'd defo go with a 3gb flavour. It really helps for smooth on screen movement, and having more apps open. 2gbs is the min. There shouldn't be too much price difference between the 2gb and 3gb version of the Tab A. The Mediapad comes with 3gb as standard.

Prob slightly bigger screen space on the 10.5 is a factor. But i wouldn't be bothered by that. For those size tabs it's all about getting the best CPU/GPU combo in there for a more enjoyable experience.

xantoo

Honorable
Jan 22, 2015
I'd defo go with a 3gb flavour. It really helps for smooth on screen movement, and having more apps open. 2gbs is the min. There shouldn't be too much price difference between the 2gb and 3gb version of the Tab A. The Mediapad comes with 3gb as standard.

Prob slightly bigger screen space on the 10.5 is a factor. But i wouldn't be bothered by that. For those size tabs it's all about getting the best CPU/GPU combo in there for a more enjoyable experience.

10.1 64/3gb goes for around 230 so it's still pretty cheap. So between 10.1 and M5 I suppose 10.1 with larger hard drive, updates and better cpu/gpu is a winner? M5 on the other hand seems to have better battery, stereo speakers and probably better screen.

10.1 64/3gb goes for around 230 so it's still pretty cheap. So between 10.1 and M5 I suppose 10.1 with larger hard drive, updates and better cpu/gpu is a winner? M5 on the other hand seems to have better battery, stereo speakers and probably better screen.

Yes, I would go that way to.

I've just bought a Tab A (2019) for my GF for Christmas. I had to test it of course before giving it on Chirstmas day :LOL:

It's a very nice tablet.