Question Need some help diagnosing a weird random? disconnect issue

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
HOHKAY SO i'm helping a friend of mine try to fix their new computer that has been having an issue where the internet connection will cut out on the machine seemingly randomly despite being on an ethernet connection. i would 100% suspect the router if not for this issue only happening on this machine. so far, a wifi dongle, windows reinstall (though not totally fresh), updating all the drivers and bios, and some other stuff i can't remember haven't stopped it (although updating the chipset driver did seemingly slow it down for a little while? though that's probably just confirmation bias). they have another tech-nerd friend who has also been trying to help but they're at a loss, too. the only things i can even think to try are frankly ridiculous (total reinstall of windows, rma the motherboard and hope) so i'd rather see if anyone here has encountered this stuff before with this setup or something similar. we're pretty sure it's some kind of software thing but i also have a nagging feeling it could be the motherboard or the router despite some other tests indicating they're probably not the source. so, uh, send help please?

specs:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU: ryzen 5 5600x

RAM: 32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1333MHz (20-19-19-43) (unsure of specific model)

Motherboard: Micro-Star International Co. Ltd. MAG B550 TOMAHAWK (MS-7C91) (AM4)

Graphics:: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 (MSI)

Storage: 931GB Samsung SSD 970 EVO 1TB
28GB SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device (USB )

Last edited:

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
You should edit language. Family forum.

mehhhhhhh

As per help.

What else is on this connection? How many devices?
I see you mention a dongle, so only wireless connection being tried?
What in this enviro is handling DHCP?

unsure, i do not have physical access to all this stuff, but there is at least one laptop and probably 2 cellphones that ought to be connected. so according to them 3-4 devices at any given time including the new pc

as for the dongle, no, their primary connection is ethernet, the dongle was specifically to see if going wireless changed anything (it did not)

and the router is Technicolor CGA4234

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
unsure, i do not have physical access to all this stuff, but there is at least one laptop and probably 2 cellphones that ought to be connected. so according to them 3-4 devices at any given time including the new pc

as for the dongle, no, their primary connection is ethernet, the dongle was specifically to see if going wireless changed anything (it did not)

and the router is Technicolor CGA4234

The reason that I asked that was in regard to the possibility that you were running out of leases. That sounds unlikely.

Any other computer/device hooked to that same CAT connection are fine?

Do you have a device that you can provide a hot spot from? Like a phone?
Use the dongle and see if you can stay connected to that hot spot you create.

Retrikaethan

Prominent
Jun 7, 2019
The reason that I asked that was in regard to the possibility that you were running out of leases. That sounds unlikely.

Any other computer/device hooked to that same CAT connection are fine?

Do you have a device that you can provide a hot spot from? Like a phone?
Use the dongle and see if you can stay connected to that hot spot you create.

can confirm, they don't have a whole lot of tech stuffs.

yes, the aforementioned laptop didn't experience the issues when connected the same way

as for the hotspot, they do not but a friend of theirs might so will have to test that later x-x