Question Need some help figuring out the best way to move some of my network components around, any help appreciated

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
[Moderator Edit to break up a solid paragraph and remove bold font.]

Hi everyone, I am looking for some help so if you have any info please share, I'm going to explain what I'm trying to do and then hoping you can tell me if any of my ideas are possible or if you have better ideas please share.

What I'm trying to do is get my media server out of my finished basement because we keep the pets down there and I got to clean the hair off things constantly and I'm sick and tired of it. I feel like it's going to ruin it all too so I want to transfer everything to a new case but I don't want to put it back there so I'd like to move that to the middle of the house.

Now I have a moca Wi-Fi extender with two ethernet ports that I could use but will that work and if yes, will the streaming quality suffer/buffer because it's not directly connected to the router? Can I move the router or do I need to move the modem too if I move the router & Server upstairs?

Does the modem have to be connected to the demarcation point which it is now? It pretty much comes into the downstairs of the house from outside and then everything is connected there, sorry it's like one big run-on sentence but I'm doing talk-to-text and trying to work things out in my mind try to give you an idea of what we're trying to accomplish.

My brain is stuck. would it be possible and best to move the modem, router and media server all upstairs and will that work well since it's off of a coaxial splitter to where the cable TV comes in or like I said B4, do I need the modem at the demarcation Point? If I just leave the modem and router in the basement and just move media server to the spot with the moca, do media servers work well off of moca ethernet?

Again I apologize this is long, but I can't get my head wrapped around this and figure it out and every time I search the internet for answers, like does the modem have to be directly connected to the router or can they be in separate rooms, I don't seem to get a straight answer.

One of my other ideas is the modem then to an access point & move the router and the server upstairs, maybe I move the moca where the modem setup is originally in the basement & swap them?

I can't believe I can't look on the internet and search and find an answer to simple questions and I have looked for hours trying different phrases like does a NAS work as well off of using a MoCA ethernet as it will directly connected to your router? I'm assuming it doesn't but is it a noticeable drop off if so?

Okay I'be tortured you all enough, sorry it's so long & thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
So first things first--use paragraphs. :D j/k!

So really first step--draw out your current network and post it here so we can see it.

And to answer your question on moca--if they are 2.0 or 2.5 adapters, it will be full gigabit. I have a set of 2.0 adapters and have tested them at 900Mbs+ with iperf.
Hi & thanks everyone. I used this internet program to try to show you my setup and I will explain what exactly everything is incase it isn't clear. I dont think I am forgetting anything but I will edit this if so and make a comment. Thanks again all

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Comcast ISP Demarcation point to 2way Splitter in basement. One Split goes to Modem then Router & Router has a magic jack (NOT pictured), a Coax 2.0 Adapter is the round thingy in the pic & a Media Server also connected to the Router (which is my main Goal to Move upstairs if not everything, but need Remote access so I can view/listen to my media outside my home on my devices & that is what worries me most about moving anything).

2nd Split off goes UPSTAIRS to near the Cable Box where I have a 2way splitter in Living Room too so my Cable Box gets one end and my Actiontec wcb6200q extends my wifi so it can reach my last floor, the bedrooms. It has 2 ethernet ports on it. I think that is it. Fire away and thanks very much

239211826_139324281687894_6034940009680482775_n.jpg

Last edited:

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Because the moca adapters will all be basically the same as the wired ethernet at the router, you can simply move the server to where the other moca adapter is using one of the free ethernet ports and everything should work just as it does now. :)
Thanks so much. That seems to be the easiest and is exactly what I wanted to Know/Confirm but I didn't want to move it if it was going to cause any streaming issues. Thanks again because I wasn't sure The MoCa would handle it the same. Cheers

Still would like to know for future reference if I could have also moved the Modem & Router to the middle where the MoCa wifi is now and placed the wifi-MoCa in a new spot, if that would work or even if/can/should the modem be that far away from the demarcation point ever? Wouldn't that give me better coverage? How do people move their routers to the middle of the home as is often suggested? I assume the modem must also be moved in that instance? If you guys don't care to answer, that's cool too because the main issue is now solved thanks to SamirD. Thanks again to everyone -TD

Thanks so much. That seems to be the easiest and is exactly what I wanted to Know/Confirm but I didn't want to move it if it was going to cause any streaming issues. Thanks again because I wasn't sure The MoCa would handle it the same. Cheers

Still would like to know for future reference if I could have also moved the Modem & Router to the middle where the MoCa wifi is now and placed the wifi-MoCa in a new spot, if that would work or even if/can/should the modem be that far away from the demarcation point ever? Wouldn't that give me better coverage? How do people move their routers to the middle of the home as is often suggested? I assume the modem must also be moved in that instance? If you guys don't care to answer, that's cool too because the main issue is now solved thanks to SamirD. Thanks again to everyone -TD
You're welcome. :)

Sure, so it is always best to keep the modem as close to the demarcation point as you can or wherever it was originally installed because that's where the tech made sure it worked properly. Once you move the modem, you can introduce all sorts of issues due to the cabling in between.

The challenge is that if the router is not close to the modem, you typically have to run ethernet between the two. But in your case, since you are using moca, it wouldn't be as much of an issue except that you would need to have two different ethenet networks running over the same moca--one would be your 'wan' coming from your modem to your router, and the other would be your 'lan' going from your router to the rest of your network. You can still do it using vlans, but it starts getting complicated and is better to simply have a dedicated run between the modem and the router.

Hope this makes sense.

I doubt the way you have it setup will work unless the modem you are using is designed to provide more than one connection. Most "modems" only allow one system to connect to it, if you have two devices on it using a splitter it's very likely only one of them will work or it will be very unstable with connection going down often.

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
I doubt the way you have it setup will work unless the modem you are using is designed to provide more than one connection. Most "modems" only allow one system to connect to it, if you have two devices on it using a splitter it's very likely only one of them will work or it will be very unstable with connection going down often.
Not sure what you mean exactly because the original way has been setup this way for years & all I will be doing is moving The server upstairs connected to the MoCa ethernet. If you think that will not work, please elaborate because I haven't attempted the move yet. Thanks

Look at the network diagram again--the router is providing dhcp and nat.

Not sure what you mean exactly because the original way has been setup this way for years & all I will be doing is moving The server upstairs connected to the MoCa ethernet. If you think that will not work, please elaborate because I haven't attempted the move yet. Thanks
They haven't understood your network map. You should be fine. Post back with your results and any issues. :)