Question Need some help here please.

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
As some know I have been planning a new build. As some have suggested to wait for AMD Ryzen 3000. That was the plan until today. The plan was to build a new PC and give my wife my 4790k, MB and ram. This morning her MB went out (x58 system). I'm not going to even try to replace it. So after some talking I'm pretty much going to give her my PC as planned. I mainly play games (BF5, farcry 5, planet coaster and such). My monitor is 1080@ 144hz. Budget $1500 or less.

Here is my plan and I'm sure it will change. Want to do 2 builds. One being a AMD (2700x) the other a Intel (9700k.8700k maybe a i9) Nothing less than a I7 cpu. I have a EVGA 1070ti (thick one) I'm wanting to keep but if budget works a rtx 2080 isn't out of the question. I did a AMD build and will do a intel build after this is priced out. This is my first attempt with pcpartpicker. I didn't pick a power supply or hard drive as I'm not for sure what I need. As the HD I would like a ssd 1tb.

So please give me some help trying to figure this out. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/76rztg

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Do you even need another power supply? The one from the X58 build is possibly still good. Worth testing anyway.

Don't really see anything wrong with your AMD part selection.

9700k if you are only gaming. 8700k if you want more multitasking/streaming. They perform similar in games, but without hyperthreading the 9700k is a little more secure.

1070Ti is still decent for 1440p or high refresh 1080p. So if you want to toss another GPU in the mix, go for it. What was in the X58?

NVMe 1TB SSD, I lean towards the Samsung 970 Evo. 860 Evo if you just want SATA, about 20-30% cheaper that way. You can always toss in standard hard drives later. (And QLC drives are making 2TB look decently priced)

Hard to judge the GPU performance without knowing what you play. I'm going to hold on to mt GTX1080 until Nvidia's next architecture refresh.

IF one wants/needs capacity and speed (but is not overly concerned with the flashy sequential read/write numbers offered by the 970 EVO PLus or it's price), Intel's 660P NVME M.2 drives are outstanding values, with 1 TB drives at $99, and 2 TB drives at $212 on Amazon...

therightstuff

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2011
Thank you very much for the replies. Power supply are 6 or 7 years old. Don't really want to press my luck with new hardware and a old PSU. The GPU in the x58 rx570. I did a intel build, but have a compatibility issue maybe. Will the Asrock Z390 Pro4 mb fit into the cooler master MB511 case? Also will the ssd I picked out use a slot in the MB? The intel build is most likley what I will go with. If you have any other sugestion please let me know your input . Thank you again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TVKyGG