[SOLVED] Need some help on choosing the correct hardware to upgrade to and in the correct order!!!

Jan 23, 2020
So, I want to do a big overhaul and upgrade on my current PC but I don't have the funds to go all out on buying everything at once, so I just wanted to get peoples feedback and suggestions on the order of the the parts to upgrade and also what parts!

Pretty much I use my PC for playing Overwatch and Singleplayer RPG's and also like to stream a lot too. Hopefully that helps.

My Specs:
  • Intel Core i7-2600 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
  • Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
  • GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory/Corsair Vengeance LP 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Western Digital AV 250 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card
  • Cooler Master 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Note: I use 2 60hz monitors and have thought about upgrading to 144hz or even 240hz monitors but isn't priority.

Any questions on specifics lemme know.

Cheers.

Solution
So, I want to do a big overhaul and upgrade on my current PC but I don't have the funds to go all out on buying everything at once, so I just wanted to get peoples feedback and suggestions on the order of the the parts to upgrade and also what parts!

Pretty much I use my PC for playing Overwatch and Singleplayer RPG's and also like to stream a lot too. Hopefully that helps.

My Specs:
  • GeIL EVO Veloce Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory/Corsair Vengeance LP 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
  • Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive...

My Specs:
  • Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
  • MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB GAMING X Video Card
  • Cooler Master 690 III ATX Mid Tower Case
  • Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Note: I use 2 60hz monitors and have thought about upgrading to 144hz or even 240hz monitors but isn't priority.

Any questions on specifics lemme know.

Cheers.
What is your budget?

overwatch isn’t a graphically demanding game you can turn it down to medium and hit 144Hz. What RPGs? Borderlands 3 (if you can call it an RPG) is a lot more demanding than say vanilla Skyrim which is easier to run than a heavily modded Skyrim.

If you’re streaming I’d go with a R5 3600 or r7 3700X with 16GB of RAM at 3200Mhz or more and a new board. PSU seems fine and case is more an aesthetic thing.

Reactions: Gravy321
Solution
Jan 23, 2020
Hey thanks for your reply,

Budget isn't a huge issue I just don't want to buy all my parts at once you know.

Yeah I play Overwatch on the lowest setting anyways just for max FPS, and the GPU upgrade would be mainly for newer RPG titles like The Witcher, The Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk etc.

Ok cool, should getting RAM, Board and CPU be first on the priority list then? Also what board would you recommend?

Last edited:

YeahPete

Honorable
Jan 31, 2014
Check out my pc build video here:
View: https://youtu.be/4t0DpRQHXZU

I specifically answer your thoughts about build order. Best thing to do is buy it all at once because if something arrives broke you are out of luck and if you wait the parts will go on sale. If I were you , buy the GPU first cause you can plug that into your current system, then like upgrade the SSD cause again plug into current system. But CPU, MOBO, and RAM need to all be bought at once and tested immediately. Wait until black Friday and buy everything at once.

Hey thanks for your reply,

Budget isn't a huge issue I just don't want to buy all my parts at once you know.

Yeah I play Overwatch on the lowest setting anyways just for max FPS, and the GPU upgrade would be mainly for newer RPG titles like The Witcher, The Outer Worlds, Cyberpunk etc.

Ok cool, should getting RAM, Board and CPU be first on the priority list then? Also what board would you recommend?
Well the Witcher isn’t that hard to run these days a 1060 6GB should be fine for Witcher III and you don’t really want 144Hz for them you’re more wanting the cranked details.

platform upgrade is the best option as the 1060 should be fine for at least another year when you can upgrade to the mid range RTX or RX card late 2020 or early 2021. Your platform is ancient, you can’t really upgrade anything on it and games are moving towards multiple cores

Jan 23, 2020
Well the Witcher isn’t that hard to run these days a 1060 6GB should be fine for Witcher III and you don’t really want 144Hz for them you’re more wanting the cranked details.

platform upgrade is the best option as the 1060 should be fine for at least another year when you can upgrade to the mid range RTX or RX card late 2020 or early 2021. Your platform is ancient, you can’t really upgrade anything on it and games are moving towards multiple cores

Ok cool, how does this look then for a first stage upgrade? Yeah the only game I'd be interested playing 144hz with is Overwatch just for the competitive advantage.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)

I’d
Ok cool, how does this look then for a first stage upgrade? Yeah the only game I'd be interested playing 144hz with is Overwatch just for the competitive advantage.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB

MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX (MS-7C02)
I’d be looking at a X570 board for better memory comparability and rated speeds and check the memory is on the supported list for the board you buy but looks fine