Need some help reworking a cleric

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

OK, basicly here's the deal...have an old 2nd ed character, that while I
managed to somewhat convert to 3.0 still didn't fit quite right with the
concept from the move from 2nd ed. And while few of the rules changed from
3.0 to 3.5, a lot of them really changed for him, and some things even from
that aren't possible now. So I need some help reworking him. This is a
very high-powered one-shot that I'm going to be in, so whatever tricks
people can think of for the character build would be helpful. I think I'm
the 2nd lowest level in the party actually..

Character was a Dwarven Champion in 2nd, so some combination of
fighter/cleric with possible paladin thrown in. Definate 8 levels of
Runecaster. Yes, setting is FR, and his diety is Moradin. 39 levels to
play with. Currently here's what I have reworked.

5 cleric, 13 runecaster, 5 contemplative, 14 fighter, 2 hierophant.
(5 cleric, 7 runecaster, 8 fighter within first 20 levels for BAB allowing 4
attacks)

Feats - Blooded, Quicken Spell, Divine Metamagic (Quicken spell), Weapon
Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Weapon Specialization (Dwarven Waraxe), Greater
Weapon Focus (Dwarven Waraxe), Power Attack, Divine Might, Leadership,
Inscribe Rune, Craft Magic Arms & Armor, Craft Wonderous Item, Craft Epic
Arms & Armor, Craft Epic Wonderous Item, Inscribe Epic Rune, Penetrate DR,
Extend Spell (hierophant ability/metamagic feat), Divine Reach (hierophant
ability), 7 Feats of Epic Damage Resistance. Domains are Protection, Earth,
and Mysticism (Complete Divine)

Few other notes...using all of the 3.5 materials available, plus epic level
handbook _with exception_ to epic spellcasting. DM's not allowing us to
play with spell seeds...hence one of the reasons I took quicken spell and
divine metamagic to inscribe quickened runes of heal and mass heal, since
that's about the only way to possibly keep up with healing at epic levels
without being able to make epic spells that I can think of.

Basicly I'm looking for some ideas to tweak the character a bit. Play style
previous was a "I can take more damage than you" deal...standard dwarven
fighter/cleric mentality.

Any ideas?

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I'd change the Heirophant Extend to the maximum healing ability.
You're going to have a high catser level even if not equal to your
character level. Extend Spell is a good feat but loses some utility in
Epic. If you're going to keep it, get rid of Divine Metamagic (Quicken
Spell) and take Persistent Spell instead. I personally don't like
3.5's +6 levels cost, but you're still better off. You free up your
turning for Divine Might and regualr turning. If you really have no
interest in turning undead then take Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell
as well.

If this is a one-shot deal, why are you taking item creation feats? I
can understand for back ground flavor, and there really isn't anything
wrong with it, but it's not like you're going to get any use out of
those feats. If it was an ongoing campaign, sure, but not for
one-shot.

Paladin is good for bonus to saves and immune to fear. However,
Mysticism gives that to you. Are you using 3.0 or 3.5 version? If
3.0, you don't really need Paladin levels. If 3.5, they understandably
gimped it to once a day, so Paladin is still good. You may want to
consider a few Dwarven Defender levels, or at least have your Cohort be
a Dwarven Defender.

Since you are taking some non +1 cleric spell casting levels, Practiced
Spellcaster is worth considering. It will help with duration, with or
without Extend Spell, as well as penetrating Spell Resistant creatures.

Gerald Katz
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:1113971676.290246.141700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I'd change the Heirophant Extend to the maximum healing ability.
> You're going to have a high catser level even if not equal to your
> character level. Extend Spell is a good feat but loses some utility in
> Epic. If you're going to keep it, get rid of Divine Metamagic (Quicken
> Spell) and take Persistent Spell instead. I personally don't like
> 3.5's +6 levels cost, but you're still better off. You free up your
> turning for Divine Might and regualr turning. If you really have no
> interest in turning undead then take Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell
> as well.
>
> If this is a one-shot deal, why are you taking item creation feats? I
> can understand for back ground flavor, and there really isn't anything
> wrong with it, but it's not like you're going to get any use out of
> those feats. If it was an ongoing campaign, sure, but not for
> one-shot.

Excellent point..should have mentioned this, but I felt my original post was
getting a bit too wordy to begin with. While indeed it will be a one-shot
adventure, there is a certain amount of....continuity that I'd like to
maintain. Also, from a purely role-play standpoint, being a cleric of
Moradin, he IS going to have at least Craft Arms and Armor ;). On top of
that, these are characters that seem to constantly come out of retirement
for "one last one-shot", so the tweaking of items once I get him back into
workable condition makes sense. I will probably drop the Extend Spell..took
the levels of Hierophant and then realized I didn't know what to do with
them. As for why I went with Divine Metamagic on the Quicken
Spell..well..it's cheaper featwise than to go with Improved Spell Capacity
to be able to create quickened runes, and allows a certain flexability.
Though I guess I'm dumb, and could just use a metamagic rod of quickening.
Hrm...

The main issue is healing, unfortunately. We're playing 3.5, and with the
change to Heal being only up to 150 hp, and Mass Heal being 250..when you're
dealing with characters that are 600+ hp it's all about maintenance. The
really irritating thing with Heal now is that since it's just a set 10 hp
per caster level up to a cap, as opposed to a dieroll hp recovery, there
isn't much that I've seen that metamagic feats can help, which is why I was
going with the quickened heals to maintain while hacking things. *shrug*
It really hurts not having access to epic spellcasting, but that was the
DM's call. Maybe Twin Spell...

I am probably going to dump 4 levels of fighter for 4 levels of paladin.
Admittedly my eyes just glazed over the change to the Mysticism domain
power, so definately going to do that. Might consider changing to a
different domain on that one. I forgot about Practiced Spellcaster,
however.

Thanks for the advise so far. :)
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Michael Haukaas wrote:

> "Hadsil" <forumite@netzero.com> wrote in message
> news:1113971676.290246.141700@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>
>>I'd change the Heirophant Extend to the maximum healing ability.
>>You're going to have a high catser level even if not equal to your
>>character level. Extend Spell is a good feat but loses some utility in
>>Epic. If you're going to keep it, get rid of Divine Metamagic (Quicken
>>Spell) and take Persistent Spell instead. I personally don't like
>>3.5's +6 levels cost, but you're still better off. You free up your
>>turning for Divine Might and regualr turning. If you really have no
>>interest in turning undead then take Divine Metamagic Persistent Spell
>>as well.
>>
>>If this is a one-shot deal, why are you taking item creation feats? I
>>can understand for back ground flavor, and there really isn't anything
>>wrong with it, but it's not like you're going to get any use out of
>>those feats. If it was an ongoing campaign, sure, but not for
>>one-shot.
>
>
> Excellent point..should have mentioned this, but I felt my original post was
> getting a bit too wordy to begin with. While indeed it will be a one-shot
> adventure, there is a certain amount of....continuity that I'd like to
> maintain. Also, from a purely role-play standpoint, being a cleric of
> Moradin, he IS going to have at least Craft Arms and Armor ;). On top of
> that, these are characters that seem to constantly come out of retirement
> for "one last one-shot", so the tweaking of items once I get him back into
> workable condition makes sense.

Your DM should allow you to have this feat affect your possessions...
For example if you are allowed to have 20,000 gp worth of stuff, you
should only have to pay half price (and appropriate xp) for anything you
could have crafted yourself with a feat.

That's how I would run it. The xp cost may knock you down a level,
depending on where you start, but you'll get it back quickly enough that
it might be worth taking and using the feat to get boo-coo magic items.

- Ron ^*^
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Werebat wrote:

> Your DM should allow you to have this feat affect your possessions...

> For example if you are allowed to have 20,000 gp worth of stuff, you
> should only have to pay half price (and appropriate xp) for anything
you
> could have crafted yourself with a feat.
>
> That's how I would run it. The xp cost may knock you down a level,
> depending on where you start, but you'll get it back quickly enough
that
> it might be worth taking and using the feat to get boo-coo magic
items.

I just run it the same way it's done for example NPCs, 70% of cost for
items the character could have made. Basically the same as going 50%
and converting xp to gold.

- Justisaur.