Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
Ryzen 3400G
MSI B450M Bazooka Max wifi
16GB 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance
Kingston 500GB M2 SSD

MSI Click BIOS 5
MSI Dragon Center

I've built a computer for my daughter and can use some help.

Is it normal for the processor frequency to go up and down constantly? Down to 1400mhz with no programs running?
I use the stock cooler ( AMD Wraith Spire) and it also goes up and down in RPM, very annoying because the fan is very noisy.
What can I do about this?

Are there any BIOS settings recommended for my motherboard / processor combination?
I looked at "AMD Cool n' Quiet" default is "Auto" leave it like that?
And "Relaxed EDC throttling" also on "Auto"

Any other tips?

Solution
Yes, it is normal.

The "cycling" of the cooler is normal for the stock cooler and is the EXACT REASON why most of us with any experience with Ryzen recommend replacing the stock cooler. It will LITERALLY drive you up the fracking wall. There is basically no way to tweak the system to where it won't do this other than seriously hamstringing the CPUs performance. Get an aftermarket cooler. A good one. That is not only how you stop that but also gain some additional performance by improving the peak and longevity of the boost profile.

If you need recommendations on a cooler, I'd be happy to offer them if you can provide a budget for a CPU cooler and what country you are in since different regions have different hardware availability...
Yes, it is normal.

The "cycling" of the cooler is normal for the stock cooler and is the EXACT REASON why most of us with any experience with Ryzen recommend replacing the stock cooler. It will LITERALLY drive you up the fracking wall. There is basically no way to tweak the system to where it won't do this other than seriously hamstringing the CPUs performance. Get an aftermarket cooler. A good one. That is not only how you stop that but also gain some additional performance by improving the peak and longevity of the boost profile.

If you need recommendations on a cooler, I'd be happy to offer them if you can provide a budget for a CPU cooler and what country you are in since different regions have different hardware availability.

Cool N Quiet - Enabled (If this setting is not available in your BIOS, just worry about the rest)

Core CPPC - Enabled

CPPC preferred cores - Enabled

Advanced/Global C-states - Enabled

Precision boost overdrive (PBO/PBO2) - Disabled (Unless you have high end cooling installed. Also, standard boost profiles like Precision boost (Non-overdrive) and XFR2 should be left enabled.)

Reactions: kurdtnz
Solution

Govert

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
Ok. thanks a lot! So that up and down cycling of the cooler fan will go away if I replace it?

Any recommendations on which cooler to buy?

I am looking at this one https://noctua.at/en/nh-l9a-am4-chromax-black but maybe it is too small with 95w (3400G is 65w TDP?)

I'm not going to overclock the system (only the RAM XMP 3200mhz) and I don't like a big cooler that sticks from the motherboard, more like the size of the stock cooler.

Again, thanks a lot for the help!

Last edited:
I have this cooler on my daughters set up which also is a 3400G but the only reason I use this cooler is because it is a mini ITX build otherwise I would of got a tower style cooler. But having said that, it does a good job keeping the cpu cool and Ive never heard it over the case fan, which is also pretty silent.

Govert

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
I have this cooler on my daughters set up which also is a 3400G but the only reason I use this cooler is because it is a mini ITX build otherwise I would of got a tower style cooler. But having said that, it does a good job keeping the cpu cool and Ive never heard it over the case fan, which is also pretty silent.
It wont throttle up and down constantly, like de stock cooler?
Thanks for the help!

Govert

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
That would certainly not be my first choice. That is for a very small enclosure where you don't HAVE a choice.

What case model are you using?
Yeah I know, I have actually a big case with lots of space MSI Mag Forge 100R.

It's just that I don't like such a big cooler that covers the whole motherboard, I'm looking more for the size of the stock cooler.

Unfortunately, there aren't any stock sized coolers that are worth a crap, because if there were, everybody would be using them on low profile systems. No such thing.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you mean by "covers the whole motherboard", unless you are talking about one of the enormous twin finstack coolers like the Noctua NH-D15 and you don't need ANYTHING like that. That's a humongous cooler, as are many of the big air coolers, but there are a number of very good 120 and 140mm tower coolers that are MUCH smaller than those, and don't cover anything because they are tower coolers, not "top down" coolers like that one you were looking at or a stock cooler.

For that CPU, something like the Gammaxx 400 v2, or Be Quiet Pure rock slim, or Noctua NH-U12S, would work very well and are relatively small as tower coolers go. Certainly that Noctua you are looking at will "work", but despite the fact that the quality is very good, being a Noctua cooler, it has very low performance for the price and is probably NOT going to accomplish getting rid of the fan cycling up and down.

Reactions: Govert

Govert

Honorable
Oct 6, 2015
Ok, I am convinced, especially the Noctua NH-U12S (Chromax Black Edition) is a cooler I can live with.

But for now, I played a little with the Msi Smart Fan settings and the cooler is much quieter now .
I noticed that the cooler fan mainly cycled at low CPU temps (below 35° )
I have now set it that the fan stays at 25% up to 40° and only starts to increase RPM above that (25%>40° 50%>60° 75%>80° 100%100°)
Still a lot of noise, but much less cycling at low CPU temps.

Another question: Is there some kind of ideal operating temperature for this CPU or just the cooler the better?
I noticed that my CPU temperature barely exceeds 50° even with my daughters heavy gaming (Roblox, Minecraft, Among Us :) )

Thanks!

The ideal operating temperature for ANY Ryzen CPU, is anything below 80°C. So long as your CPU remains below 80°C, and preferably actually below 75°C because we've seen some indications of partial throttling on some Ryzen platforms at temperatures lower than 80°C, which might affect performance, then you are fine. There is NO benefit of ANY CPU running at, say, 50°C when compared to the same CPU running at 75°C. So long as you remain below the safe recommended temperature (Regardless of what the actual maximum/throttle temp is) then you are good.

Keep in mind though, sometimes when you see SEEMINGLY good temperatures, it's because the system is already throttling things back because it was seeing thermal issues. At only 50°C I would not suspect that to be the case however. At 75°C, I would think it was "possible" and would closely monitor it using HWinfo to verify that it is actually not doing that. Easily done, since HWinfo will TELL you if there was any throttling behavior going on.

In your case, with that CPU, it's doubtful.

Another option you have that you might want to consider, that would meet your desire to stay with a stock type cooler, while ALSO getting a cooler with better performance than the cooler that CPU came with, is to see if you could find a Wraith Prism cooler. That is the stock cooler for higher end models like the 3900x, and would be more than enough for the 3400G. Sometimes you can them cheap, other times they are senselessly expensive and you are better off with an aftermarket cooler. In general, you are always better off with a good aftermarket cooler but if you could find a Wraith Prism at the right price it would at least be another option. The Noctua NH-U12S is a very good cooler and you would be certainly able to run that CPU all day long at it's highest performance level with no worry of a lack of cooling.

Reactions: Govert