Question Need some help troubleshooting a persistent crash-0x9F

May 21, 2022
Hi All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad with an AMD Ryzen 7/AMD Radeon configuration. It has ample memory (40GB), and an SSD. BIOS and drivers and Windows are all up to date. It has always-even on Win10-experienced these crashes waking from hibernation. I tried and tried to figure out what driver and/or hardware was causing the crashes-to no avail. I strongly suspected the GPU, but I've tried inbox Win10/11 drivers as well as out of box Radeon drivers and software and it's never improved.

Recently, this issue has gotten worse-I've had crashes overnight on 5/9, 5/13, 5/16, 5/18 and 5/21. Bluescreenview tells me what I've already discerned for myself: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE/0x9f/driver ntoskrnl.exe/address 416b40.

Since the address is always the same, how do I tell what that address is?

.dmp link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Z5o-K8Bhc7qzNPUEIuy4PbyYZWx0iCJ2/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

You can click on any given entry to obtain more details about what happened. The details may or may not be helpful.

Start with Reliability History. Much more user friendly and presents a time line format that can be very revealing.

Look for something that happened or changed just before 5/9 or so.

Are you manually downloading the drivers via the applicable manufacturer's websites. Then doing your own installation and configuration?

No third party installers or other such tools.

Turn off all screen savers, hibernation, sleep modes, etc.. Determine if the crashes end.

= = = =

And I must ask: how is that 40 GB RAM configured?

May 21, 2022
>Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer. Either one or both may be capturing error codes, warnings, or even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

I tend to run through them and I see hardware errors with AMD, but these are not associated with the crash/hang events. They happen during the day and cause screen blanking and flickering and the laptop recovers. The hangs happen almost exclusively in the early AM hours and have no connection to almost anything I can see...it's already been hibernated for many hours, it just crashes.

>Look for something that happened or changed just before 5/9 or so.

This is an issue since I got the laptop and not necessarily connected to anything date-bound. Just noticed there are pretty constant crashes since that date in BlueScreenView. The .DMP files from earlier crashes might actually just roll over to conserve disk space which is why they aren't present.

>Are you manually downloading the drivers via the applicable manufacturer's websites. Then doing your own installation and configuration?

Lenovo updates for Lenovo and connected OEM updates, Windows for drivers and WU stuff. I don't use Intel for intel drivers, etc. I do have the AMD software installed. No, I have not done a DDU.

>No third party installers or other such tools.

You mean do not use AMD's tools or Intel's software to install their drivers?

>Turn off all screen savers, hibernation, sleep modes, etc.. Determine if the crashes end.

I will do this. I like hibernation, but I think it might be the culprit.

= = = =

>And I must ask: how is that 40 GB RAM configured?

IIRC, it's the on-board 8GB and a single stick of 32gb I added. I don't get the feeling that I'm looking at a memory issue, here.