[SOLVED] I need some help troubleshooting FPS dips on laptop ?

I need help troubleshooting my son's Gigabyte G5 KD laptop. .

https://www.gigabyte.com/Laptop/G5--Intel-11th-Gen#kf

The fans are always on high (LOTS of hot air coming out), and it's hovering around 80-90C idle, up to 100c+ when gaming. Blew some air into the vents, no dust pouring out. Massive FPS spikes even fortnite on the lowest settings, it's dropping down to 20 FPS spikes. (RTX3060)
Has to be thermal paste, right? Before I open it up and re-paste does anyone have troubleshooting, I may have missed?

In the screenshots below, other than the high temps, one thing that stands out to me is the GPU memory clock frequency, during the GPU testing. It's up and down quite a bit. Shouldn't the GPU memory clock frequency be at 100% during the GPU test?
blR2po.png
uJzv8R.png

Last edited:
Solution
Reactivated an old account to throw my two cents in...
I have the same laptop and have recently been experiencing the same problem. I am not for certain, but your 3DMark graph reflects what I have seen.

The GPU memory clocks are locked at ~7000MHz in the first third of the graph, excluding the very beginning (no load), but then beings to statically jump between 7000 and 800 MHz. I can only assume this is due to thermal throttling, but nothing I do to try and cool my laptop down or underclocking the memory has helped.

Hopefully, this was useful.
Just finished repasting the CPU and GPU. Temps are 10C better, but still fortnite and Apex (only tried those two) run TERRIBLE on his computer. Dipping to 20FPS regularly on low settings. His system should do much better than that.

Reinstalled windows, and all drivers as well. Everything up to date, including NVidia driver. Bios is the latest.

Effectstudios

Honorable
Jul 22, 2016
I have the same laptop and have recently been experiencing the same problem. I am not for certain, but your 3DMark graph reflects what I have seen.

The GPU memory clocks are locked at ~7000MHz in the first third of the graph, excluding the very beginning (no load), but then beings to statically jump between 7000 and 800 MHz. I can only assume this is due to thermal throttling, but nothing I do to try and cool my laptop down or underclocking the memory has helped.

Reactions: jimthenagual
Solution

Thank you VERY much