need some help understanding

Sunfire789

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
so my current setup is this for networking:

i have a usb wifi adapter
and router and modem 40 feet away

I want to upgrade to ethernet, so i can get better speeds while gaming and downloading

i am buying an asus rt-5300 wifi router from a guy for cheap, but I would also need a modem aswell.

I would be the only person using the setup of router and modem, but do i need a wifi router to use ethernet? or could i just have a modem and connect 2 pc's through that? I dont wanna game through wifi, I wanna game through hard wiring for best speeds and latency, I honestly am lost for understanding for this networking stuff lol. so all in all, what is needed for wired gaming? also if i do get the rt5300, what modem is compatible/ good to pair it with?

sorry for bad grammar, i feel like one of those guys that is selling his old pc, and describes the cpu as, 2 core cpu, with 3 ram, and vga card lol. i have no experience with this stuff, but all help and tips for this issue is appreciated! thanks!

Sunfire789

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
That’s the thing tho, I would need a 100+ ft cable, plus I live with my mom and she doesn’t want to have a cable running across the house, 40 ft might be a bit short tbh,

But I plan on getting netowrking things in my room. So do I just need a modem for wired network gaming? Or a router as well?

Aug 25, 2018
Depending on your service provider and your present setup you may only need a network switch and cable. If your present system has a buildin router with your modem, just run a line to your computer as long as the line isn't over 100'. Getting another modem would be expensive if you can buy it or a monthly fee if your provider is the only recommended supplier, its also unnecessary.

I suspect you want something that can't be done.

It sounds like you are rejecting the standard solution of running a ethernet cable from your room to the current router...ie mom won't allow.

Option 2 is to pay the ISP to move the current modem/router from its current location to your room. The ISP may charge your for this and it will likely have a impact on the wifi in other parts of the house. You may get better service but other likely will get worse.

Option 3 Install a completely new internet connection in your room. You would leave the current modem/route and put a new one in your room. Maybe the ISP will do this and maybe they won't. They will charge you a second monthly fee for the connection plus whatever install charge they have.

There is no magic way to connect some device in your room to the current connection without some wires.

Sunfire789

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
I understand that I would need wires and such, I plan on getting a new internet connection in my room, stand-alone from the other one. My question is: if I only plan on using Ethernet and no wifi, would I just need a modem? Or would I still need a router as well? Particularly the Asus rt-5300 router.