[SOLVED] Need some help with a build

Apr 10, 2019
Hello everyone, some help needed here. I've done workstation build and need some help/advice on what to change and if its good enough for this budget, thanks in advance :)

Some info before i start:
Approximate Purchase Date:
In a few months
Budget Range: $700
System Usage from Most to Least Important: 90% Photo Editing/Drawing (Photoshop/Illustrator) + some Adobe Premiere work. 10% Casual gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No
Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Computer Universe
Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: No
Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Here is my purchase list:
CPU:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600 BOX inkl. AMD Wraith Stealth CPU-Kühler
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro Schwarz 16GB DDR4 Kit (Not the best memory for its price but RGB prefered for this part)
Storage: Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe Retail-Version
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 NITRO+ (1660 maybe?)
Case: CoolerMaster MASTERBOX Q300P (Already got)
Power Supply: EVGA 500 BR (80+Bronze)

Additional info: I know that some parts like SSD and Corsair RAM can be debatable but this is just personal preference.

Thank you for your time!

Solution
Fair enough, will wait until 3rd gen release then. Also not sure about power supply and motherboard, are they good enough for this build wtih current CPU and GPU?
I'd get a better PSU, the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be a much better choice as it has a 10 year warranty, more efficient and higher quality. Besides that the build would work fine but part choices will probably change by the time your ready to build.

WildCard999

Titan
With Ryzen 3rd gen releasing early July it's hard to recommend a list now when your probably going to be building after the release. There could also be further price reductions on first/second gen Ryzen and possibly the RX GPU series since Navi will be released later this year (fall/winter).

Ask this question about two weeks prior to building and include the total budget as well as peripherals required if any.

Apr 10, 2019
With Ryzen 3rd gen releasing early July it's hard to recommend a list now when your probably going to be building after the release. There could also be further price reductions on first/second gen Ryzen and possibly the RX GPU series since Navi will be released later this year (fall/winter).

Ask this question about two weeks prior to building and include the total budget as well as peripherals required if any.

Fair enough, will wait until 3rd gen release then. Also not sure about power supply and motherboard, are they good enough for this build wtih current CPU and GPU?

WildCard999

Titan
I'd get a better PSU, the Seasonic Focus Gold 550W would be a much better choice as it has a 10 year warranty, more efficient and higher quality. Besides that the build would work fine but part choices will probably change by the time your ready to build.

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Solution
True if it's quite abit of a saving, since you won't noticed a difference really between SSD and Nvme speeds - I have both, never noticed a difference when I upgraded.
I generally tell lower budget or gamers to prioritize capacity over throughput. Gamers won't notice the difference in speeds, but will notice the limitations of capacity when they run out of drive space. Games take up so much space now a days!

I just checked the website
Intel SSD 660P M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 QLC Retail Box Single Pack 512GB
56,22 €

Intel SSD 660P M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 QLC Retail Box 1TB
93,19 €
All the cheaper ~1TB drives are DRAMless drives. The cheapest, with a brand I have heard of, is a SATA drive with a savings of only 10 Euro from the 660p, however, the 660p will always be faster than a SATA SSD so for 10 Euro it is worth the extra money.

I would choose a Nvidia GPU for working with Adobe products. If you are going to be using Premier Pro very much, then I would choose an Intel CPU. Well, at this budget, it's probably better to stick with one of the Ryzen 3000 chips.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2019
I'm not following your rationale. Which graph are you referring to? Please elaborate.

For years people have preferentially chosen Nvidia GPU's for Adobe builds because traditionally Adobe worked with Intel/Nvidia systems when designing their software and that combination was more synergistic and less buggy.

?

https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=49241&width=800&height=800
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=49170&width=800&height=800
https://www.pugetsystems.com/pic_disp.php?id=49152&width=800&height=800