[SOLVED] Need some help with email providers SMTP protocols

pityocamptes

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2012
I recently setup some cameras for a client and I cannot get the SMTP email notification to work. Ive done a trace and everything seems to go through the clients IP provider (Xfinity) but all seem to die at the email host site. Ive tried accounts with Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Comcast and none of them work. Ive used the correct SMTP address, SSL cert checked as per camera manufacturer, using port 465 (also tried 587) and every time running a test from the camera email connection fails. These are Zosi cameras. ANY suggestions are helpful.

Should I port forward any ports from the router? What to use as far as IP address? Thanks.

PS - the system connects to the internet prefectly as the client has real time camera access, just cannot seem to connect the email notification portion. Are their issues with Xfinity as a provider? Xfinity says they are not the problem, but their technical support is horrible.

Solution
You should not need to forward any port since the session are outbound.

Security cameras in general are full of bugs and worse back doors I tend to not like them to have direct internet access. Things like RING cameras have been compromised and that is run by a huge company.

The cameras maybe doing something strange with the protocol. Fastest way to see what is going on is to setup your own email server on a external internet IP. You will need to place this at a location you have a public IP. I would port forward all ports to your test server and then run wire shark and see what data the camera is sending.
I recently setup some cameras for a client and I cannot get the SMTP email notification to work. Ive done a trace and everything seems to go through the clients IP provider (Xfinity) but all seem to die at the email host site. Ive tried accounts with Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, Comcast and none of them work. Ive used the correct SMTP address, SSL cert checked as per camera manufacturer, using port 465 (also tried 587) and every time running a test from the camera email connection fails. These are Zosi cameras. ANY suggestions are helpful.

Should I port forward any ports from the router? What to use as far as IP address? Thanks.

PS - the system connects to the internet prefectly as the client has real time camera access, just cannot seem to connect the email notification portion. Are their issues with Xfinity as a provider? Xfinity says they are not the problem, but their technical support is horrible.
How about if you add a :1 after the 465 port i.e. 465:1

You should not need to forward any port since the session are outbound.

Security cameras in general are full of bugs and worse back doors I tend to not like them to have direct internet access. Things like RING cameras have been compromised and that is run by a huge company.

The cameras maybe doing something strange with the protocol. Fastest way to see what is going on is to setup your own email server on a external internet IP. You will need to place this at a location you have a public IP. I would port forward all ports to your test server and then run wire shark and see what data the camera is sending.

Solution