Parker Le Nerd

Prominent
Dec 3, 2019
Hello eveyone, I have been on here before and gotten a lot of help so I am hoping that I can have you all help me again.

My current problem is my overclocking with my Ryzen 5 3600. The problem is that I am concerned about the voltages and the lifespan of my CPU.
I am running my CPU at 4.0Ghz and a voltage of 1.356.
I have been keeping the thermals if a safe spot (under 70c when running r20) and have been having a very large performance increase in games and rendering.
But the problem arises with my voltages, people are telling me that if I try running my chip over 1.325 volts it will degrade and die in a matter of months. So I set my voltages back to auto but it was running around 1.344 - 1.35v anyway.
I have tried setting my voltage to around 1.3v but my problem with that is sometimes my PC will freeze or force restart itself if my voltages are to low.

One other thing I have seen is that my CPU voltages will never cross the 1.100v threshold when overclocking no matter what the Core Voltage is set too, but when I am running stock my temps go higher than when I am overclocking and the voltages go as high as 1.4v!

So I am wondering if anyone has some recommendations of safe voltage ranges that I can set my CPU at to get at least 5+ years out of it but not have a large drop in performance.
I know that every CPU is different but if I could at least get some guides of "Don't go above this" or "This is a safe range to test within" that would be really helpful.
I really want to oc to get the most out of my CPU but I also want my new build to last me at least 5 years if not more. I know I might not get more than that with overclocking but ill have to see.

Any help is appreciated, Thank you for your time!

Specs:
Cpu: Ryzen 5 3600
Mobo: Asus tuf X570 wifi
GPU: Gigabyte 5700xt
Ram: G.Skill Trident rgb 16gb 3600mhz
PSU: Corsair TX750M
Cooler: Coolermaster 212 evo be

Solution
Lets see...
My current problem is my overclocking with my Ryzen 5 3600. The problem is that I am concerned about the voltages and the lifespan of my CPU.
1)Just don't. Manual OC is poop on Ryzen 3000, and it gets worse the higher one goes on the product stack. There's a better, and less stressful method:
-get a stronger cooler than what you have now, like an NH-U14S or something similar. These behave like Nvidia's Gpu Boost, and will try to push for higher frequencies on their own if the thermal headroom is there.
-Ryzen Dram Calculator and guides for it. See if you can push your ram to 3733mhz or tighten the current timings - or both.

2)Don't be. You've been scare-mongered by the herd mentality that the stock voltage is bad...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Lets see...
1)Just don't. Manual OC is poop on Ryzen 3000, and it gets worse the higher one goes on the product stack. There's a better, and less stressful method:
-get a stronger cooler than what you have now, like an NH-U14S or something similar. These behave like Nvidia's Gpu Boost, and will try to push for higher frequencies on their own if the thermal headroom is there.
-Ryzen Dram Calculator and guides for it. See if you can push your ram to 3733mhz or tighten the current timings - or both.

2)Don't be. You've been scare-mongered by the herd mentality that the stock voltage is bad; it isn't, it never was, because the numbnuts have yet to realize just how different these cpus are from the older Ryzens and Intel; completely different, so treat it as such.
-higher idle thermals. It's the nature of the cpu. It's not harmful to it. Get used to it.
-they 'bounce around' a helluva lot. That's from constantly waking up and putting to sleep different threads, leading to the 'high voltage' and idle thermals people have been complaining about. They are far more subtle when the loads are heavy enough.

But the problem arises with my voltages, people are telling me that if I try running my chip over 1.325 volts it will degrade and die in a matter of months. So I set my voltages back to auto but it was running around 1.344 - 1.35v anyway.
Doesn't apply to all Ryzen 3000 cpus, because Silicon Lottery, the 'max safe voltage' varies from chip to chip. Following that herd mentality's advice is dangerous.

I have tried setting my voltage to around 1.3v but my problem with that is sometimes my PC will freeze or force restart itself if my voltages are to low.
Undervolt too much, and the cpu can't boost as high. Applies to most cpus really.

One other thing I have seen is that my CPU voltages will never cross the 1.100v threshold when overclocking no matter what the Core Voltage is set too, but when I am running stock my temps go higher than when I am overclocking and the voltages go as high as 1.4v!
Normal, it's fine. It's not sitting at 1.4v anyway.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS