Need some help with old gt 640

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
Hello, I have a really old gt 640 in my computer right now. I can barely run any games without them being in windowed and my pc sounds like a fighter jet 24/7 anyways. I am currently building a new computer which will have a 1080ti, but at the moment this is all I have for a computer to do literally anything. My computer is incredibly laggy at basic desktop apps like if I have too many chrome pages open it will just crap out because I only have 8gb of ram and a terrible cpu. Just wondering if there is anything I can do to temporarily boost my gpu performance. I have tried overclocking but with how old my gpu is I don't think it is a very good idea. taking all suggestions!

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

I don't really know because I have regularly cleaned out the dust and I reapplied the thermal paste not that long ago so i am not sure why

You said you have crappy CPU, what is it (model)?
Often old computers get bogged down with too many background programs and files in the registry that slow performance, sometimes a fresh install of the OS can bring new life to an old PC.....it's a pain in the ass doing a fresh install and getting all your programs and settings back to how you like them, but sometimes it's worth it. I doubt that you're using 8GB with too many open browser pages, most likely it's having to run extensions etc for each page is too much for your system.

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

it is a i5 2500k :/ and in around september of last year I factory reset my computer and just completely cleaned it out if thats what you mean