[SOLVED] Need some help with setting up an ethernet connection via coax.

Mar 31, 2020
Hey everyone, I do not have much experience with networking and would like some advice.

So first the setup: I have Verizon FiOS for cable and internet with a Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway FiOS-G1100 Wireless Router with gigabit speeds.

Currently, the coax cable connects to the Verizon box outside my house and gets split, one goes to the living room and the other goes to my upstairs bedroom. From there, the living room coax gets split again, one to the modem/router and the other to a cable box I have in the living room. Back up to my room, I have a split, one goes to another cable box I have in the bedroom and the other end WAS going to another cable box in another upstairs bedroom but that was removed a couple of years ago. SO, I have a free coax cable that is not being used.

I have tested this free coax by removing the modem/router from downstairs and plugging it into this coax and I can see that it worked and provided internet.

SO, I would like to set up an ethernet upstairs in my room from that free coax. How do I do that?

From doing some research, I have found that I would need a MoCA device to convert the coax into ethernet and from there I would like a couple of ethernet ports, so I would need a switch. This leads me to think these are the items I need.
Moca, Ethernet switch

Can anyone provide their thoughts and advice?

Thank you.

Solution
You general plan is correct.

The added benefit of the verizon fios install is they support moca in their modems. I do not know the details of setting up verizon but you should be able to buy just a single moca unit and hook it on the remote end and you will get ethernet.

I would avoid that particular moca device only because it is moca 2.5 and it is hard to say if that is compatible with verizon.

There likely is documentation that shows which moca adapters work best on a veirzon fios system.
You general plan is correct.

The added benefit of the verizon fios install is they support moca in their modems. I do not know the details of setting up verizon but you should be able to buy just a single moca unit and hook it on the remote end and you will get ethernet.

I would avoid that particular moca device only because it is moca 2.5 and it is hard to say if that is compatible with verizon.

There likely is documentation that shows which moca adapters work best on a veirzon fios system.

Solution