Question Need some help with SLI configuration

Mar 26, 2019
I did a dumb thing. I wanted to upgrade my pc and bought a second graphics card to run SLI, but unfortunately I forgot to actually check if my PSU is up for the task. My problem is this : my gtx 970 takes a 8 pin and 6 pin connector, but that means that ill only have a 2 pin connector remaining. I was wondering if there is a solution to this problem besides buying a new powersupply. Can I power my second GPU with molex perhaps? or a adapter for the 2-pin connector?
Would love to hear some solutions from you guys because im kind of stuck.
My PSU is the Cooler Master V650 Semi Modular ATX23

Last edited by a moderator:
No way should you use some kind of flaky adapters. Any actual 650W unit comes with 4x6+2 pin PCIe cables so I wouldn't trust that one (or Cooler Master in general). Recommend a 750W Corsair RMx/TX, Seasonic Focus Plus Gold, or EVGA G2/G3 (but you might get away with a 650W).

bignastyid

Titan
While that is a decent PSU it did come with a lack of pci-e connectors. Honestly you should re think SLI given it's decline in support and poor scaling even in the games that support it. You'd be better off just upgrading to a single faster card rather than adding a 2nd 970 especially where it looks like you'd need a new PSU.