[SOLVED] Need some help with some advanced OC-Settings.

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
- Hey There.

I am trying to overclock My [Ryzen 7 2700x] as much as possible, At the same time, learn as much as I can about overclocking using more advanced settings in [UEFI Bios]

My Specs are:
[PSU] - Corsair RM850x, 850W
[RAM] - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 16GB
[CASE] - Corsair Spec Omega RGB
[PCB] - Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
[GPU] - RTX 2070 Msi Gaming Z
[CPU] - AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
[AIO] - Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB (360mm)

Some people might ask:

[Do you use the laters bios?]

'No I do not, I am using Version '4804' with was published '2019/06/05''
The reason why I don't use the more recent BIOS is that when I tried using it, it had problems booting windows and all my [Proflies] where deleted, and was constantly black screening. I also heard that this Updtade was rushed and is the same update that added [PCIE 4.0], Again I don't know why my pc acted like that, but it might have something to do with that.

[Why don't you overclock you ram?]

I was able to use Asus's [D.O.C.P] Profile, and then change it form [3200Mhz] witch is the rated speed of my ram, to [3400Mhz] witch did show improvement in performance with [Cinebench R15] witch is also the program I use to check stability. altho I know there are better ways to check stability, I just need something quick as of speaking so I don't use all day long on :)
I also have plans to learn more about Ram Overclocking once I have learned most about [CPU overclocking]

[Why not use XFR?]

I am doing a lot of Emulation, which hits hard on the [RAM] and [CPU]
I want to gain as much form my CPU and RAM as possible. but this post is mostly about some [BIOS Settings]
I am pretty sure I can get more form [Manuel Overclocking] defiantly, with that [360mm AIO] or? IDK.

Now, I am having a hard time learning everything about more [Advanced OC Settings] as every tutorial is using terms as [WPM 15%, and 20%] witch really doesn't tell me anything, cause I am new to this settings. I am referring to settings in the [BIOS tab] called: [DIGI+ VRM]

Here is an image of how that page looks

The specific Settings I want to learn more about is called.
[VDDCR CPU Load-Line Calibration] >>>>>> [Level 1,2,3,4 & 5]
[VDDCR CPU Current Capability] >>>>>> [100%, 110%, 120%, 130% & 140%]
[VDDCR CPU Switching Frequency] >>>>>> [Auto, Manuel.]

'Again, I am trying to figure out what all of thies setting actually means, and if they help me with overclocking.'
For example, I tried overclocking my [Ryzen 7 2700x] to [4.275Ghz], for that to be stable I needed more than [1.481V], But I was able to run it stable at [4.275Ghz] with [1.481V] when I used the setting called [VDDCR CPU Load-Line Calibration] set to [Level 5].
So will change some of this setting improve my [CPU OC]?

BTW: can someone explain how 'Offset voltage works?' when I tried it, it was just like using [Manuel Voltage], The [Offset voltage] was just completely Statick, it didn't fluctuate, Witch, I thought was the point of [Offset Voltage.] or maybe I just mess it up?

Anyway I know there was a lot of questions, sorry about that :)
I just don't want to make 100 posts about different settings, . . . so I just made a huge one instead.

And, again.
I am new to these settings so I don't know too many words when it comes to [Advanced settings].

- Thank's for reading <3

Last edited:
Solution
Is used to ad some voltage to VDDCR CPU over manually set voltage when load demands it. it's in very small increments, something like 0,00x volts don't know exactly how much is on that MB. Lowest level, lowest added voltage.
VDDCR CPU Current Capability] >>>>>> [100%, 110%, 120%, 130% & 140%] determines how much more power to CPU can be drawn from VRM when needed without drop in voltage.
VDDCR CPU Switching Frequency] >>>>>> [Auto, Manuel.] VRM is made up of several voltage controllers which are providing power to CPU etc. in sequence so each one can have time to cool down. In most cases Auto is fine.
Is used to ad some voltage to VDDCR CPU over manually set voltage when load demands it. it's in very small increments, something like 0,00x volts don't know exactly how much is on that MB. Lowest level, lowest added voltage.
VDDCR CPU Current Capability] >>>>>> [100%, 110%, 120%, 130% & 140%] determines how much more power to CPU can be drawn from VRM when needed without drop in voltage.
VDDCR CPU Switching Frequency] >>>>>> [Auto, Manuel.] VRM is made up of several voltage controllers which are providing power to CPU etc. in sequence so each one can have time to cool down. In most cases Auto is fine.

Solution

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
Thank you so much!

Do you think I should use this setting? I mean, are they safe, cause they sound safe. : /

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
For example, I tried overclocking my [Ryzen 7 2700x] to [4.275Ghz], for that to be stable I needed more than [1.481V], But I was able to run it stable at [4.275Ghz] with [1.481V] when I used the setting called [VDDCR CPU Load-Line Calibration] set to [Level 5].
1.481V is way too high. Especially if you're running max LLC, which means your voltage may actually be significantly higher than that under load (assuming 1.481 is what you're setting in the BIOS, not the value you're reading under load). From what I've read you don't really want to go higher than 1.35-1.4V.

I would honestly just leave it at stock, or use PBO to overclock. Or at the very least read some overclocking guides first before you start cranking up the voltage and end up damaging your CPU. Should be easy to find some by googling "ryzen 2000 overclock guide" or similar.

Edit: To clarify a bit more, manual OC will likely result in little improvement over what PBO can do, or even over stock performance.

Last edited:

scrubs2708

Commendable
May 19, 2018
1.481V is way too high. Especially if you're running max LLC, which means your voltage may actually be significantly higher than that under load (assuming 1.481 is what you're setting in the BIOS, not the value you're reading under load). From what I've read you don't really want to go higher than 1.35-1.4V.

I would honestly just leave it at stock, or use PBO to overclock. Or at the very least read some overclocking guides first before you start cranking up the voltage and end up damaging your CPU. Should be easy to find some by googling "ryzen 2000 overclock guide) or similar.
Ok, will do.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
As a reference, here's some benchmarks comparing a manual 4.2 GHz OC performance to that of stock and several levels of PBO.
https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/04/30/amd_precision_boost_2_wraith_prism_deep_dive/3
The board they're using has 4 levels of PBO, with levels 1 and 2 being the 'official' PBO that operate within AMD's recommendations and 3 and 4 being unofficial OC beyond that. The highest they could do and stay stable was level 2. If you look at the level 2 results with a water cooler (H20 lvl 2) you'll see that it offers basically the same performance as the manual OC.

TRENDING THREADS