Need some help with the 'ol System Service Exception

Shennessy

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Started getting this on my HP Pavilion G7 recently.

It happens randomly after startup, and then will crash after some time. Every once in awhile it'll be stable for a few minutes. I am also trying to run the windows hotfix but when I try to open it up, it can't get very far before crashing. Tried in safemode but didn't have much luck. Is that even possible?

- Attempted so far:

• ■ ran the sfc /scannow (no issues found)
    ■ ran the memtest nothing as well (all was good)
    ■ tried to use CCleaner and some other malware tools but nothing found

Thank you very much in advance!!

ok, all of your bugchecks were cause by a bad memory call from the file
\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ks.sys Sat Nov 20 02:33:23 2010
this is a windows file Kernel CSA Library (kernel streaming library)

update your ethernet driver and see if it fixes the problem.
Your current driver is from 2011 and has bugs in it that may be the cause of this bugcheck. (could also be your VPN software from 2009)

see below for link to get the new driver.

if that does not fix the problem, you will need to turn on some debug flags to figure out the problem.
(will not explain yet, I think the ethernet driver is the underlying cause of the bugcheck)

------------
first bugcheck was caused by memory corruption.
You have various outdated drivers installed.

get this driver Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

update other drivers and BIOS from your motherboard/machine vendor.

will look at the other dumps to see if there is something more specific.

Shennessy

Reputable
Jul 30, 2015
Alrighty, so I ran some updates (fixing this for a buddy and he NEVER did any of them) I think there were like 70 windows updates alone...

Anyhow, still giving this system_service_exception. But for some reason it isn't writing the dumps any longer. I tried to disable the "automatic restart" checkbox from the startup and recovery menu. After it hits the BSOD is says a bunch of the info and then says

"Collecting data for cash dump ...
Initializing disk for crash dump ..."

Nothing after that. Is this expected? I tried to remove some of the older dumps to create room (believe the max is 50), no luck either way.

I would run crystaldiskinfo.exe and read the smart data and see what it says about the drives health.
I would also google on how to use the keyboard to force a windows memory dump.
you can then force the memory dump while the system is working ok and confirm that the memory dump settings and process is working.

it is a old machine if they did not do windows update, you want to make sure you get the BIOS updates and the motherboard driver updates also. Windows 7 does not repair bad sectors on the hard drive like windows 8 will.
It means at some point you have to do a full format (not a quick format) to get the drive health to be better. But chek the drive health and look for updated SATA drivers. I have also pulled windows 7 drives and popped them into a windows 8 box as a data drive and had windows 8 do background repairs on the drive. (just relocated data off weak sectors and marked the sectors as bad) otherwise you have to use a tool.