Question Need Some New PC Advice

Oct 6, 2022
Hi all. I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to finally upgrade my system. My current system I built back in 2014ish. This was my first PC that I built myself. It's been a great machine.

My current system is the following:
  • i5-4670k
  • 16GB of DDR3
  • EVGA 1080ti SC2
  • Seasonic 750w PSU (~11 years old now)
  • NZXT 240mm AIO
  • Dell 1440p 27" 144hz monitor
  • Windows 10
Anything that was last gen or the new stuff just coming out will be way better than what I currently have. I'm looking at going team Red for my CPU and possibly GPU later down the line (sad about EVGA). I mainly play Dark Souls series, some FPS AAA games. No streaming or editing stuff. I was thinking:

• AMD 5800X -or- 7600X
  • 32GB of RAM for either DDR4 or DDR5
  • Keep my 1080ti for now because my monitor is the older g-sync
  • New 1000W PSU
  • Corsair 240mm AIO
  • Windows 11
Upgrade to AM4 and save some money and have no more upgrade path?

-OR-

Upgrade to AM5, spend more since DDR5 is high and MAYBE have the upgrade path in the future on the AM5 platform?

I'm at a crossroads on what to do. Thoughts? Ideas? Personal Experience?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have DDR3 now unless you got one of the inbetween boards. Regardless it will have to be replaced.

G-sync compatibility is fine. 1080ti will have no issues running a newer G-Sync monitor or a G-Sync Compatible monitor. But no reason to ditch it if it still does what you want.

I would not opt for a 7600X , that is going to be a pricey platform for a mid-range chip ($700 for CPU, Board, Memory). 7700X and up make more sense, but the 7900X and 7950X are actually the only sensible ones at current motherboard prices.

Intel will be the better mid range option with the 13600K here shortly. You can use a Z690 DDR4 motherboard, or a a DDR5 one, and not have to pay the new chipset tax. It would be similar performance for about $100-150 less.

Everything else looks fine in terms of general selections. 240mm AIO is a little light maybe with these new chips boost profiles. 360mm would be better.

Oct 6, 2022
You have DDR3 now unless you got one of the inbetween boards. Regardless it will have to be replaced.

G-sync compatibility is fine. 1080ti will have no issues running a newer G-Sync monitor or a G-Sync Compatible monitor. But no reason to ditch it if it still does what you want.

I would not opt for a 7600X , that is going to be a pricey platform for a mid-range chip ($700 for CPU, Board, Memory). 7700X and up make more sense, but the 7900X and 7950X are actually the only sensible ones at current motherboard prices.

Intel will be the better mid range option with the 13600K here shortly. You can use a Z690 DDR4 motherboard, or a a DDR5 one, and not have to pay the new chipset tax. It would be similar performance for about $100-150 less.

Everything else looks fine in terms of general selections. 240mm AIO is a little light maybe with these new chips boost profiles. 360mm would be better.

Yes, my memory is DDR3. I wasn't sure when typing it. I just know it's old haha.

If I go with AMD with their newer gpu offerings, I don't think my older gsync monitor would work then?

I'm really liking what AMD offered back with AM4 and was really excited with their AM5 offerings. I guess I'll wait a bit to see Intel's 13th gen offerings.

If I go any bigger than a 240/280 AIO, I'd have to buy a completely new case. I have the Fractal Define C mid-tower.

Oct 6, 2022
Reactions: Why_Me
I don't really overclock my cpu's. I've never tried and haven't had the want to. I've bought K sku Intel in the past thinking just having one that could overclock would be longer lasting if I didn't overclock it. Incorrect thinking?
OC is becoming a thing of the past. The non K/KF cpu's in Intel's lineup don't OC and they are a bargain for sure. Not only that but they run cooler than the unlocked cpu's.

Reactions: jbtamu1011

larsv8

Distinguished
I am a big fan of the AM4 platform because I think the value proposition is amazing. I personally wouldnt go AM5 because its new, which means its going to be a little buggy for a while, and its expensive!

If you are shooting for 1440p and triple A, the GPU is going to be the main driver, but you can still pick up a great platform now. You don't need to overspend on a CPU because you generally will always be GPU Bottlenecked. A 5800X3D is the premeire gaming AM4 CPU and should last a long long time. A 5800x is great too (That's what I have in my personal rig) Do you have an SSD already?

Heres a good look at how those CPUs will compare at various resolutions in different games

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw97hj18OUE&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $681.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-06 15:32 EDT-0400

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022
I am a big fan of the AM4 platform because I think the value proposition is amazing. I personally wouldnt go AM5 because its new, which means its going to be a little buggy for a while, and its expensive!

If you are shooting for 1440p and triple A, the GPU is going to be the main driver, but you can still pick up a great platform now. You don't need to overspend on a CPU because you generally will always be GPU Bottlenecked. A 5800X3D is the premeire gaming AM4 CPU and should last a long long time. A 5800x is great too (That's what I have in my personal rig) Do you have an SSD already?

Heres a good look at how those CPUs will compare at various resolutions in different games

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw97hj18OUE&ab_channel=HardwareUnboxed

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($419.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-A GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($92.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $681.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-06 15:32 EDT-0400
I liked that video. the 5800X3D looks to be a winner for sure!

How would this system be?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R6BFpH

The case and gpu are what I currently have. Those will suffice right now and can still use them. I would definitely replace my old psu as I don't want it taking out other components when it dies. New SSD for fresh win11 install. I have a larger hard drive for games already.

larsv8

Distinguished
I liked that video. the 5800X3D looks to be a winner for sure!

How would this system be?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R6BFpH

The case and gpu are what I currently have. Those will suffice right now and can still use them. I would definitely replace my old psu as I don't want it taking out other components when it dies. New SSD for fresh win11 install. I have a larger hard drive for games already.

Two comments -

The B550 boards are PCIE gen 4, so you could see some benefit of a gen 4 SSD if you do any data transfers. The Sabrent Rocket is a popular choice there.

I am not sure how well that case cools, and you are throwing a relatively hot chip in there. The cooler might be a little short.

Since you are at the point of basically replacing everything but GPU, you could just get a budget airflow case, and keep the old comp entirely in place for productivity / media. That processor has integrated graphics, so you could get some more mileage out of it without the GPU installed.

Oct 6, 2022
Two comments -

The B550 boards are PCIE gen 4, so you could see some benefit of a gen 4 SSD if you do any data transfers. The Sabrent Rocket is a popular choice there.

I am not sure how well that case cools, and you are throwing a relatively hot chip in there. The cooler might be a little short.

Since you are at the point of basically replacing everything but GPU, you could just get a budget airflow case, and keep the old comp entirely in place for productivity / media. That processor has integrated graphics, so you could get some more mileage out of it without the GPU installed.

That's a good idea!! That never crossed my mind!!

Not completely a budget case, but I've got this case.

Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 ATX Mid-Tower with Front Mesh Ventilation, Front Side Red Accent Mesh Intake & Transparent Acrylic Side Panel - Newegg.com

I run it with 6 cheaper LED fans in it which gives it a nice look. I put 3 in front for intake, 2 on top for intake I think as well, and 1 in the rear for exhaust.

Specs

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Vetroo v5 cpu cooler with 2 fans installed in push pull
AsRock AB350 Pro 4 board
32gb ddr 3200 GSkill Trident 4 8gb sticks
MSI Mech RX 6700xt
Corsair RMX 850 watt
Samsung 960 evo nvme 240gb drive
2 1tb sata ssd drives
1 2tb sata ssd

I'm running currently 1080p 144hz, so monitor may be a thing at some point. But even under Cinebench R23 or Intel burn test, with the airflow of the case and the cpu cooler, the 5900x usually stays at 72 or under. The mesh fronts really do help. Don't go too cheap. I once owned a deepcool case, and it was ok, but if you are going to be tooling around in there, you will want something a little nicer.

TRENDING THREADS