[SOLVED] Need some professional advice about my motherboard and it’s set up.

Aug 10, 2019
Hey everyone, I recently received a secondhand H97 Anniversary from a friend, it’s in perfect working condition but I don’t want to connect my MSI GTX 1080 to it, out of fear it will ruin my motherboard or even worse the graphics card. As you can tell I’m not the greatest with PCs so any advice would be helpful.

TL;DR - Is the H97 Anniversary okay for an MSI GTX 1080 or will it end up ruining either the card or mobo.

Thanks everyone :)

Solution
Awesome, really appreciate the help, calmed some of my nerves for the most part, and yes I am talking about a motherboard I/O Shield, is it necessary to have one and are there any alternatives?

You may be able to find one online. It's not a big deal not having one; you can find out info about the ports in hte motherboard manual (since you won't have it on the I/O shield).
Aug 10, 2019
Bottlenecking only means that you're not getting the most out of your GPU; it's not anything to worry about. Whether you get the most out if depends on what you use with the motherboard. A 4770 would still be just fine with a 1080.
I have a 4790k, H97 anniversary and a 1080, this will work alright, I assume?

Aug 10, 2019
Bottlenecking only means that you're not getting the most out of your GPU; it's not anything to worry about. Whether you get the most out if depends on what you use with the motherboard. A 4770 would still be just fine with a 1080.
another question too, I dont have an I/O backplate for the mobo, is this alright?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
another question too, I dont have an I/O backplate for the mobo, is this alright?

Not really a problem, though it's helpful for labeling! I assume you mean the I/O shield and not the cooler's backplate?

You have the proper CPU to get the most out of this, so no worries. Those old i7s aren't at the level they were when purchased, of course, but they're still extremely competent CPUs unless you're trying to get the most out of a 2080 Ti or something. I only replaced my 3770k last year and it was working fine with a 1070; I'd probably only be starting to think of an upgrade now if I hadn't started having problems with the SATA ports on my Z77 motherboard.

Aug 10, 2019
Not really a problem, though it's helpful for labeling! I assume you mean the I/O shield and not the cooler's backplate?

You have the proper CPU to get the most out of this, so no worries. Those old i7s aren't at the level they were when purchased, of course, but they're still extremely competent CPUs unless you're trying to get the most out of a 2080 Ti or something. I only replaced my 3770k last year and it was working fine with a 1070; I'd probably only be starting to think of an upgrade now if I hadn't started having problems with the SATA ports on my Z77 motherboard.
Awesome, really appreciate the help, calmed some of my nerves for the most part, and yes I am talking about a motherboard I/O Shield, is it necessary to have one and are there any alternatives?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You may be able to find one online. It's not a big deal not having one; you can find out info about the ports in hte motherboard manual (since you won't have it on the I/O shield).

Solution