Need some recommendations for new gaming build please

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello. I could use some recommendations for my new build please. I play many of the AAA titles as well as a few other less demanding games like WoW and Overwatch but I want a beefy rig for those AAA games. I'm currently playing on an RoG Swift PG278Q 1440p monitor but considering the new 4k HDR one.

My current build

CPU- i5 4670K
Mobo- MSI G45 Z87 Gaming
Cooler- Noctua NH-D14
GPU- Classified 980 Ti
RAM- 8GB G.skill Ripjaw 1600
SSD- Samsung 840 pro 256GB
HDD- WD Blue 1 TB
PSU- Seasonic X 1050W Gold
Case- Fractal R4

I'm going to use my Seasonic PSU in the new build so I don't need a new one. I'll probably bring over the SSD and maybe even the HDD for extra storage. I'm going to get a new GPU possibly a 2080 Ti if I can find one, if not then I'll porbably get a 2080 or 1080 Ti.

Here's what I've decided on so far as far as new components goes.

CPU- i7 8700k
Mobo- RoG Maximus Code

Case- Cooler Master H500M. I'm not sure about the case because I've read/watched some mixed reviews, although most seem positive. I kinda like the aesthetics and supposedly it has good airflow. I used to have my current build in a Corsair Carbide 500R but then I changed it to the Fractal R4 becasue I liked the minimalist design and noise dampening material. But now I only game with a headset on so I'd rather have lower temps. The Seasonic PSU has some thick cables so I'm not sure I'll be able to get all the plate covers in the back on which would bother me a bit, especially considering the tempered glass panel. What do you think about this case? Is there a better one you would recommend I go with?

Here's what I still need to figure out.

Case?

CPU Cooler- I want to go with a closed loop AiO this time. I got the Noctua as per the recommendation of the guy who assembled my PC like 6 years ago. My Haswell i5 sits at around 65 degrees at load which is fine but the cooler is just massive and makes it difficult to get at some things on the board. Which AiO would you recommend for the 8700K? Should I do a 360 or would a 240 be enough? Again here I'd rather have lower temps than a bit less noise. I don't want something that sounds like a turbine but yea.

RAM- I want 16GB RAM that's about all I know. Obviously I need it to be compatible with the CPU and Mobo. I'm just not sure on the speed and all that. Would be nice if it had RBG though.

SSD- I need a bigger SSD for my games. I'm thinking 1TB would be fine. 860 Evo?

Please halp! Thanks!

Solution
You've made pretty good choices. You went for the best out there so there's not much to say.

As u said: the PSU, SSD, HDD don't need an upgrade.

You don't really need to upgrade the case, it will be able to fit your new components.

RAM compatibility is with your Mobo not your CPU. Best way to figure out which brand and which speed is go on your motherboard's website and check the Tech Spec to see the maximum speed it supports and the QVL list to see the list of compatible RAM sticks.

As for the AIO, a 240 or 280 is more than enough. Plus, it's better to use the radiator as an exhaust rather than an intake (not worth making all the other parts hotter in order to gain a few degrees on your CPU), meaning that the maximum your case can support is a 260 or 280.

My personal recommendation is the NZXT Kraken models because first of all they're quite efficient, and most importantly (for me) they're SEXY AF! Although Corsair and Cooler Master and some other brands have decent options as well.

Yea sexy and buggy, i will never touch a kraken in my life, had major problems with them and with cam software. CAM is teh crappiest software i ever worked with, even crappier then my own made test softwares and trust me they are not stable at all. I cannot say the same about the link software from corsair, it works very very well.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, one day my cpu was in 90 degrees while compilling some softwares because CAM froze and did not rev up the fans.

Well I'm sorry to hear that. Although they're newest models are one of the best now, and the CAM software has received a major upgrade. I know how it feels to be in that position but that would be my recommendation as Design is a very important factor for me.

If it's less for you, I would recommend the Corsair Hydro series.

A great build with the 8700K and Maximux X Code and that case is just awesome...I have the H500P Mesh and had I known about the H500M version, I would have had it...

As to the AIO, I have the Corsair H150i Pro which is the 360mm AIO and I can only sing it's praises..Fits perfectly in the H500P Mesh so no issues on yours and most important on the cooling front it is fantastic and quiet with the mag lev fans, handles my 8700K at 5GHz no problems and currently on a all core overclock at 4.9GHz for 24/7 use and the cooling is perfect... The Software from Corsair is now a lot better with iCue actually working without being a resource hog...

The Noctua that you already have will also do a good job.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013

Hey thanks for the reply! I don't want to use the Noctua cooler because it's massive and makes it difficult to get at the stuff in the case and also the fans are only for 3 pins so no smart fan control =/

I have the Seasonic X 1050W Gold PSU and the cables are pretty think. I'd like to be able to run the cables and put those covers back in place do you think that will be possible? Do you think this is the best case I can get at this price point or would something like an Enthoo Evolv X or Corsair Crystal 570X be better?

I'll check out the cooler you have thanks!

Hi Pavel, I understand on the Noctua, that's why I went AIO!!! With regards to the cables, there should be no problems with a bit of cable management as I have managed to get mine in to the cover..It can be a tight squeeze but if you do the cable runs properly, it will work. The New Enthoo Evolve X does look awesome and for me the H500M or the Enthoo Evolve X...But the H500M is absolutely great and as importantly the airflow is better...

Solution