Question Need some simple clarification on intels boost method

Sep 16, 2019
I am a gamer, and am looking at this laptop

https://www.amazon.com/HP-15-Inch-i...ds=nvidia+rtx&qid=1568328429&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1

I've kinda been out of the loop for a bit so lost touch with some of the tech stuff. I'm used to cpu speeds being locked (without overclocking of coarse) so a 2.3ghz was that, and a 3.0ghz was just that.

Now I see some stuff about turbo boost I think it's called where it boosts up to a max speed. In the case of this laptop above it has a base of 2.2ghz and boosts up to 4.1ghz.

So this brings me to me question:
Call of duty modern warfar (2019) has a recommended of 4.0ghz cpu. Upon looking at cpu's for laptops there is no "base" cpus of 4.0ghz. I'm guessing that only exists in desktops, as I've looked up some stuff and they do exist for desktop at that base speed.
So I'm curious if the boost will be able to sustain long periods of times at the 4.1 ghz, or will it be more along the lines of a hd boost where it intermediately boosts up for a few seconds and throttles back down, but can't really sustain the high end boost for transfers at a constent rate.

I am on the move a lot this is why I choose laptop over desktop in my case.

I hope this made sense. In short I guess I'm asking will the boost be able to do long periods or if it will only be like the hd boosts instead.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It depends on the specific laptop and its power and thermal limits. It also depends on how intense the load is, i.e. maxing out all cores will consumer a lot more power/generate a lot more heat than just one core. Basically need to look at reviews to see how it operates. You can get an idea of how the CPU will hold up here: https://www.notebookcheck.net/HP-Om...performance-sufficient-for-the-next-few-years

Keep in mind that they're testing CPU speeds with Cinebench, which will likely be more intense than gaming.

There are a lot of factors that dictate what clock speed your CPU will turbo to.

I would say in 99% of newer games you will not see rated boost clocks.
I would say the I7 in that laptop should play any new game with ease, regardless of if it is at 4.1ghz in game.

Sep 16, 2019
Awesome thanks for the replies.

I was concerned because the recommended from activation is 4.0ghz cpu......That seems a bit extreme to me to be a standard, but dunno, maybe it'll work fine with that laptop.

I kinda think that activation is ramping up the specs a bit myself, but that's just me. From my past games and experience companies tend to over exaggerate the specs needed, and end up a lot of times lowering the recommended down a bit more realistic after a few months, which proves that a lot of times the recommended from the companies and the games seem to be over done, especially given if you don't use bloom, or shadows, those 2 alone can eat a lot of cpu/video up......adjust it to not use them and more times than not the games just fine at lower specs.

I personally cannot stand bloom, as it always seems to be overly bright in games, so I always end up disabling it anyways.

I'm after 2 games released this yr (2019) and of coarse they just happen to be 2 of the most hard core graphically and cpu games out there right now lol.
-Ghost recon Breakpoint and
-Call of duty Modern warfare

I'm pretty sure that laptop I linked will run them with no issues, and at that price range for what it has, I haven't found anything close to that. Everything I look at so far is anywhere from $200 or more higher than that price range for the same setup.

I went for the RTX video vs GTX, as from my understanding the gtx cards are like slowing down or phasing out as it where, and the RTX is also more future proof and from what I have seen it warrants about an avg of 20fps more than GTX cards with the same game settings.

This will be a pretty huge jump in upgrade for me this time.

From this: Intel Core Skylake i5-6300HD Processor 2.3GHz, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung (SSD), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 2GB DDR3, 16gb ram

To this: Intel i7-8750H (2.2Ghz base, 4.1Ghz boost) Processor, NVIDIA RTX 2060 6 GB, 16 GB RAM, 1TB Samsung (SSD), 16gb ram.

As you see it's a pretty big jump in specs.

Again thanks for the replies.

TRENDING THREADS