[SOLVED] Need some suggestions about PSU for upgrading a prebuilt.

adnansamihr

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
So I decided to upgrade my pc with a new gpu (rx 570 4gb) and I need a new PSU because my current one doesn't even have a 6+2 connector. I found two PSUs in my budget which are the Antec VP550P Plus and the Corsair VS550 but some people online are saying they both are trash so it will be really nice if someone would recommend me a good PSU in this price range (about 50 to 55 USD).

Specs: i3 7100, Asus H110M-CS, 2x4 GB ddr4 2400 mhz, RX 570 4 gb, 1 tb hdd

Edit: Ended up buying the Corsair CX550 (newer one with grey branding) for 50 USD at an offline shop.

Last edited:
Solution
I asked my friend about the VS550 and he said that the older model with orange label is trash but the new model with grey branding is good enough for my specs. What do you think?
He's right about the old ones, they weren't good. The grey labels are certainly better, but not significantly better.

They basically became the equivalent of an older CX. Its akin to the CV to be honest.

It's not that the VS is bad, it's that it was made for a certain market. It was made for a low end budget market. So if you can get better, you absolutely should.

The minimum most tend to recommend is a grey label CX for any dedicated GPU system..

For your system I perhaps wouldn't overthink it too much, and a newer VS could probably suffice, but...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
They are indeed both trash.

The last thing you should ever go cheap on is the PSU. See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

As for your recommendations, there is nothing in that price bracket on PCPP that i'd recommend - there is a reason why cheap PSUs are cheap! But whats not far off, I'd go with:

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Really would opt for the other two over this one but if you're desperate for budget:
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.90 @ Walmart)

If you can find a Corsair CX (+2017) Grey label cheaper elsewhere, then go for it. Corsair CX is usually the best value for money in that range, just not the older green label ones.

adnansamihr

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
They are indeed both trash.

The last thing you should ever go cheap on is the PSU. See point 1 here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

As for your recommendations, there is nothing in that price bracket on PCPP that i'd recommend - there is a reason why cheap PSUs are cheap! But whats not far off, I'd go with:

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Really would opt for the other two over this one but if you're desperate for budget:
Power Supply: EVGA BQ 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($63.90 @ Walmart)

If you can find a Corsair CX (+2017) Grey label cheaper elsewhere, then go for it. Corsair CX is usually the best value for money in that range, just not the older green label ones.
What about the Corsair CV450 it has a bronze rating will it be enough for my pc?

adnansamihr

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
CV is better but still not great. CV 450 isn't really made for these kind of systems and would generally only be best for systems without a dedicated GPU, or at the very least, and incredibly limited GPU.
I asked my friend about the VS550 and he said that the older model with orange label is trash but the new model with grey branding is good enough for my specs. What do you think?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
He's right about the old ones, they weren't good. The grey labels are certainly better, but not significantly better.

They basically became the equivalent of an older CX. Its akin to the CV to be honest.

It's not that the VS is bad, it's that it was made for a certain market. It was made for a low end budget market. So if you can get better, you absolutely should.

The minimum most tend to recommend is a grey label CX for any dedicated GPU system..

For your system I perhaps wouldn't overthink it too much, and a newer VS could probably suffice, but I'd certainly want to upgrade after a couple years. So why not spend a bit more and guarantee yourself for the next few years.

The VS I also wouldn't recommend if you planned any further upgrades.

Solution

adnansamihr

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019

For your system I perhaps wouldn't overthink it too much, and a newer VS could probably suffice, but I'd certainly want to upgrade after a couple years. So why not spend a bit more and guarantee yourself for the next few years.

The VS I also wouldn't recommend if you planned any further upgrades.
I'm gonna go for the cx series but which one should I buy? Will the cx450 be enough for my build or should I go for the cx 550?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm gonna go for the cx series but which one should I buy? Will the cx450 be enough for my build or should I go for the cx 550?
Obviously just make sure it is indeed the newer CX (green label vs grey label - you want grey label). 450W will probably be fine for your system, but a 550W will definitely account for your system as well as some upgrades in the future if you want them :)

adnansamihr

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
Obviously just make sure it is indeed the newer CX (green label vs grey label - you want grey label). 450W will probably be fine for your system, but a 550W will definitely account for your system as well as some upgrades in the future if you want them :)
Got the CX550 for 50 USD at a shop near my hometown. Thanks for your help btw :) Cheers!

Reactions: PC Tailor