Question Need some Tips for buying GPU

itech4g

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
hello
my old card 1080ti turned off so need some help for buying used card(mined) I would get a 3070 or 3080

Furmark is enough for test or use another software?
i know can't find a way to recognize which part of gpu has a problem

any tips someone please how to find out gpu memory card doesn't have malfunction (like artifacts or black screen...)

thx

Reactions: Avro Arrow

KyaraM

Admirable
Don't get a used card right now. Especially if you know it was used for mining. See above. Most common defect with those cards is memory, but also other components might break under high heat and/or useage.

It would also be useful to know your full system specs (CPU, RAM, Mainboard, etc), including the PSU (brand, model, capacity, age) and your case since newer cards might be bigger than your old one and clearance might be an issue.

hello
my old card 1080ti turned off so need some help for buying used card(mined) I would get a 3070 or 3080

Furmark is enough for test or use another software?
i know can't find a way to recognize which part of gpu has a problem

any tips someone please how to find out gpu memory card doesn't have malfunction (like artifacts or black screen...)

thx

I will tell you that ALL electronic components age. With mining cards, the memory gets hit hardest with electron migration. But power delivery circuits and dry paste caps all decay the more hours they are used. Doesn't matter if they clock them down 30%. They still are worn out. So you are doing Russian Roulette. And as the exploding used Radeon card news of late: It was traced to used mining cards.

Grab a NEW Radeon 6650 $300 or 6950 $699. The 6650 will have roughly the same performance as your 1080ti. The 6950 is considerably faster at 1080p, 1440p and a tie with the 3090 at 4K
Used prices 3070 and 3080 are insane right now given the risk.

itech4g

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Well, I believe that this is the best that you'll find:
ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming - $485

They only have the one so grab it while you can as it's the only one that I could find for under $500. There is a $26 shipping charge so it's more like $510 but that's as close as it gets.

tanks for offer whish i could get this card with this price but they can't send to my region

itech4g

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
Yeah, hmmm... I'm not sure where you'd be able to get a card in Iran and I would imagine that Iranian sites would have Arabic script which I cannot read.
have to find the card locally no choice
need to know about your card have u any trouble with it ? driver issue ? or something that bother you coz i haven't any high-end gpu brand from AMD company , AMD prices much tempting me to buy it

have to find the card locally no choice
need to know about your card have u any trouble with it ? driver issue ? or something that bother you coz i haven't any high-end gpu brand from AMD company , AMD prices much tempting me to buy it
I'll be completely honest with you because I realise the predicament that you're in. I paid WAY too much for my RX 6800 XT, like $500 too much. I managed to mine $400 back though so that's not too bad. As far as how happy I am with the performance and stability, I couldn't be happier.

I absolutely LOVE my RX 6800 XT. I have used only Radeons since the HD 4870 back in 2008 and the only time that I've ever encountered stability issues were with my RX 5700 XT and that wasn't because of the drivers, it was because XFX didn't do a good job producing their Triple Dissipation line.

I knew the drivers were solid because as soon as I switched back to my R9 Fury, all the stability issues stopped immediately. I sent the card back to XFX and they sent me back a 5700 XT THICC-III. When I got a THICC-III instead of a Triple Dissipation, I realised that there was a hardware problem with the Triple Dissipation because I never had a problem again. With my RX 6800 XT, I have never had a driver issue (and I've had the card for over a year).

The only caution that I would give you is to use a program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before installing drivers for the card.

You can download DDU >HERE< from Guru3D. They have very detailed instructions on how to use DDU and I would definitely recommend reading them.

Reactions: itech4g

itech4g

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2012
I'll be completely honest with you because I realise the predicament that you're in. I paid WAY too much for my RX 6800 XT, like $500 too much. I managed to mine $400 back though so that's not too bad. As far as how happy I am with the performance and stability, I couldn't be happier.

I absolutely LOVE my RX 6800 XT. I have used only Radeons since the HD 4870 back in 2008 and the only time that I've ever encountered stability issues were with my RX 5700 XT and that wasn't because of the drivers, it was because XFX didn't do a good job producing their Triple Dissipation line.

I knew the drivers were solid because as soon as I switched back to my R9 Fury, all the stability issues stopped immediately. I sent the card back to XFX and they sent me back a 5700 XT THICC-III. When I got a THICC-III instead of a Triple Dissipation, I realised that there was a hardware problem with the Triple Dissipation because I never had a problem again. With my RX 6800 XT, I have never had a driver issue (and I've had the card for over a year).

The only caution that I would give you is to use a program called DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) before installing drivers for the card.

You can download DDU >HERE< from Guru3D. They have very detailed instructions on how to use DDU and I would definitely recommend reading them.

thank you very much for fully-described events about your cards if i can get the card amd or nvidia i'll inform likely a little bit need more time to search for some reason i explained

Last edited:
thank you very much for fully-described events about your cards if i can get the card amd or nvidia i'll inform likely a little bit need more time to search for some reason i explained
I would personally recommend a Radeon card right now because GeForce cards are way overpriced and if you're just a gamer, there's no point to them. I've tried using RT with my RX 6800 XT in Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p just to see how different looks with it on and off. I swear to god that I couldn't tell the difference, like, AT ALL. So, I turned it off, upped the resolution to 1440p and thoroughly enjoyed the game. It only strengthened my belief that, at this point in time, RT is a gimmick for fools because the only significant effect that it has on gameplay is negative. Whatever positive effect it has is completely insignificant.

If something tanks frame rates and I have to search for any visual differences, I'm not going to use it because that's just wasted electricity and wear on my GPU. I would much rather run at a higher native resolution than have RT tank my frame rates and have to use DLSS to pick up the slack. I especially don't want to pay MORE for that "privilege". A lot of nVidia fanboys (I don't even understand how they exist) like to badmouth Radeons despite never having owned one. I've used both and I can honestly tell you, the experience using one or the other is about as different as using Core or Ryzen. In other words, they're the same.

I'll ask you a quick question to prove my point.

Q: What GPU does your phone have?
A: Exactly. Nobody knows and nobody cares. They all do the same thing.

Reactions: itech4g