Question Need some tips regarding buying new CPU

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
Hello,

I have little to no knowledge of PC components. Just to put that out there. I recently came over a Titan X cheap, and a friend of mine said I had to buy it as it was so cheap and it's a good card. The problem is though, since my old motherboard had a defective RAM socket (?), I had to buy a new motherboard. So I went for a Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Am3+ ATX after a recommendation from the same friend (he knows his way around a PC).

Now I have a new problem. My current CPU is AMD FX-8350 Black Edition. I've heard from a few people online that this will bottleneck the Titan X (not 100% about this, can anyone confirm?). So I want to buy a new CPU that doesn't do that. I was recently told (today actually) that AM3+ CPUs aren't really being sold anymore (except private ofc), as they have gone over to AM4. If I buy a new motherboard with AM4 socket, I've been told my DDR3 RAM will not be compatible.

So my question is really: have anyone any tips how to do this without having to buy a new motherboard and new RAM? Are there AM3+ CPU's that you think would be good enough for the Titan X? I haven't recieved the Titan yet, so I haven't really confirmed how it goes with the FX-8350 CPU. Or are there any motherboard with AM4 and DDR3? If yes, is that even a good option?

Or is my only solution to just buy a motherboard with AM4, buy an AM4 CPU, and buy new DDR4 RAM?

I would be happy to provide further info about my parts if needed. Here's a short list to summarize:

CPU: AMD FX-8350
GPU: Titan X
RAM: HyperX Fury 4x4GB
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Am3+ ATX.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 19, 2019
To be honest your probably gonna need to get a new cpu, if you want to stick with amd go with a decent ryzen. If you want intel go with a i7 or something. I have an 8350 and its amazing for its price but with your titan x you will bottleneck. Just so you know im not the best with pcs but im sure that and 8350 is not good enough for that gpu

Feb 19, 2019
I'm afraid that there's nothing that can top that CPU on that MB far enough to make much improvement.
AM4, Ryzen processors are much better, specially top one like R7 2700x but that would require new MB and DDR4 RAM
Yup sadly that is the truth. To get most out of your gpu your gonna need new motherboard, ddr4 ram and a cpu with fans etc and possibly a new psu depending on the watt of the cpu and shit

BirdieBrain

Reputable
May 23, 2017
Thank you for all the replies. I'm realizing that I need to invest in a good CPU. I'm not really sure if to go with Ryzen or Intel, but as they cost quite a bit, I'll need to save up first.I'll also switch out my motherboard and get new ram. And again, I appreciate all the answers.