Need some upgrade advice please

ManxJason

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
Hello, I'm stuck in between a couple options and could really do with some advice from more tech-savy people. I'm upgrading my machine (forced due to hardware faults) in preparation for the Oculus rift.

I'll probably run the CPU at stock, however may in future OC to 4.5/4.6 if there's a benefit.

I already have:

- Coolermaster HAF922: The intake is at the front, and the top fan extracts. The back fan was part of a liquid cooler which I'm disposing of.
- GTX 980
- Corsair TX850 PSU

I'm going to buy:

- i7-6700k
- Asus P170 Pro
- Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 3000Mhz (open to other suggestions? Help!)

Option 1: Air cooling

- Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo (open to other suggestions? Help!)

1. Will my case, mobo and RAM accommodate this cooler?
2. Do I need to fit another extraction fan at the back (where the liquid cooler used to be attached)?
3. Do I need to attach a side fan?

See here for a case diagram: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2012465/haf922-sli-build.html

Option 2 - Buy another looped liquid cooler

1. This solves point 1, 2 and 3 in the previous option?

Either way, I don't want to spend much more than £40 on a cooler if it can be helped.

Thanks

Solution
The Cryorig H7 will cool better that the 212 EVO and will clear most RAM and cases, but either will give a modest overclock and both will fit your case. the H7 does cost a bit more. I would use the GSkill V series in either 3000 or 3200 rather than the LPX as it is designed for 6th Gen CPU's and less likely to have issues. I don't think you need a side fan, but I would definitely replace the rear exhaust to help vent the hot air from the CPU cooler.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cryorig-H7-alle-Sockel/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467463708&sr=8-1&keywords=cryorig+h7
The Cryorig H7 will cool better that the 212 EVO and will clear most RAM and cases, but either will give a modest overclock and both will fit your case. the H7 does cost a bit more. I would use the GSkill V series in either 3000 or 3200 rather than the LPX as it is designed for 6th Gen CPU's and less likely to have issues. I don't think you need a side fan, but I would definitely replace the rear exhaust to help vent the hot air from the CPU cooler.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cryorig-H7-alle-Sockel/dp/B00S7YA5FQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467463708&sr=8-1&keywords=cryorig+h7

Solution

ManxJason

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ManxJason : "Just made an order, and I'm rather excited.."

So my CPU died, and I made the decision to upgrade several parts rather than replace the CPU.

Sorry, this is one of those posts where an excited 30 year old man feels like a 10 year old boy again on Christmas eve..

My old system was:

Mobo: Asus P8Z68-V
CPU: i7-2700k @ 4.7Ghz
Cooler: COOLIT Liquid Cooler
GPU: GTX 980
RAM: 8gb Kingston Hyper Fury @ 1600mhz
PSU: Corsair TX850
Drives: 500gb, 120gb ssds, 1tb hdd

New components:

Asus P170 Pro
i7-6700k
16gb Ripjaws V series (3000mhz)
Cryorig H5
All fans replaced

I've stripped the case (HAF 922) and it looks like new, ready to receive the replacement components hopefully later this week.

Should be quite a nice upgrade for me. The machine will mainly be used for general gaming, the Oculus Rift, light video editing and some software development (although I do most of that that on my Laptop).

Excited..!!