Need Specs on Dell 8400 CPU... Should I upgrade?

Recenty bought a Dell 8400 CPU, 3.0 ghz Hyperthreaded. It is a 5xx
series.

Via the Intel CPU Identification Utility this is an LGA 775 socket.
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm

QUESTION: Wonder if it is worth upgrading to a 3.6GHZ if/when prices
drop? Or will I not really see a difference? I play some games and surf
the Internet but no programming. Have 1 gb of memory and 256mb GEforce
8600 card

I know these specs: (perhaps there is a better utility)

Thanks
Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:

> Recenty bought a Dell 8400 CPU, 3.0 ghz Hyperthreaded. It is a 5xx
> series.
>
> Via the Intel CPU Identification Utility this is an LGA 775 socket.
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm
>
> QUESTION: Wonder if it is worth upgrading to a 3.6GHZ if/when prices
> drop? Or will I not really see a difference? I play some games and surf
> the Internet but no programming. Have 1 gb of memory and 256mb GEforce
> 8600 card

I think (I know!) people, over the years, have become obsessed
with purchasing the fastest processor possible.

Unless you're running huge number-crunching programs, sending
things into outer space, etc., a 3.0 GHz processor should be
*more* than adequate.

If, later, you get into heavy-duty gaming, swap out your video
card.

Notan

<pattyjamas@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recenty bought a Dell 8400 CPU, 3.0 ghz Hyperthreaded. It is a 5xx
> series.
>
> Via the Intel CPU Identification Utility this is an LGA 775 socket.
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm
>
> QUESTION: Wonder if it is worth upgrading to a 3.6GHZ if/when prices
> drop? Or will I not really see a difference? I play some games and surf
> the Internet but no programming. Have 1 gb of memory and 256mb GEforce
> 8600 card
>
> I know these specs: (perhaps there is a better utility)
>
> Thanks
> Patty

The system you have now is probably two to three times what you need given
your usage. Save your money!

You are right. This is my first new machine in 6 years...still have a
Deskpro PIII 800mhz I upgraded from way back when.

Thanks,
Patty

Yea got it refurbed via a seller on Ebay-not without problems. Bad
memory though. It was replaced.

Another question for you just to pique my thirst for knowledge, please.

I saw these processors - so out of curiousity. I am not sure if I ever
upgraded which to upgrade to?

QUESTION 1.: In essence I am not sure if I have an "E" or "EJ"
processor currently at 3ghz.
Pulled this from Newegg I believe.

A. Intel Pentium 4 w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
(3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz FSB, Socket 775 - SKU: ***********BX80547PG3600E)
The Intel Pentium 4 560 processor is compatible with the LGA775 socket
and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side bus, a
1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology. Get advanced performance
for today's productivity, digital imaging, music and entertainment
applications. The Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance,
quality, and reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.

OR

B. Intel Pentium 4 560J w/ HT Technology - 3.6GHz Processor
*******(3.6GHz, 1MB, 800MHz - SKU: BX80547PG3600EJ)
This boxed Intel Pentium 4 560J processor is compatible with the LGA775
socket and features a 3.6GHz operating frequency, an 800MHz front side
bus, a 1MB L2 cache and Hyper Threading Technology.
*****This processor is an E0 step processor and includes support for
Execute Disable Bit, Thermal Monitor 2, and Enhanced Halt State. The
Intel Pentium 4 Processor provides the performance, quality, and
reliability demanded by consumer and business customers.

QUESTION 2L
Can a 6xx CPU (2mb L2 cache) be put in a Dell 8400 with a 5xx
CPU/chipset or would that conflict with perhaps the
BIOS or something else?

Thanks again-just trying to learn.
Patty

pattyjamas@hotmail.com wrote:

> Recenty bought a Dell 8400 CPU, 3.0 ghz Hyperthreaded. It is a 5xx
> series.
>
> Via the Intel CPU Identification Utility this is an LGA 775 socket.
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/sb/CS-014921.htm
>
> QUESTION: Wonder if it is worth upgrading to a 3.6GHZ if/when prices
> drop? Or will I not really see a difference? I play some games and surf
> the Internet but no programming. Have 1 gb of memory and 256mb GEforce
> 8600 card

Nah - the rule of thumb is that you need to double the processor speed
to notice it empirically. Definitely not worth the $$$.

Sounds like a pretty sweet system, actually.