Question need SSD or upgrade RAM from 8 to 16GB ?

muhammad_32

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2015
Hi there. I have a ryzen 3 3200g , with vega 8 graphics. I have an 8 gb ram, ( 4 gbs 2 sticks). 2 hdds with win 10 64 bit in one of em. I play pubg pc so i often get lag. mostly network lag detected. its annoying. i have one of these options right now to choose from. either buy and upgrade the ram from 8 to 16 gb. or buy a 128 bit ssd. which one should i chhose for the game performance to increase. i am playing on very low and i get 60 fps weasily but sometimtes it drops down to 5, or 6, and the game is stuck for a few seconds and then it goes back to 50- 60. netwrok lag is a problem with my internet of course but to remove my fps lag and spikes , plz suggest what to choose.
Problem 2. i have 8 gb ram , but it shows 5.93 gb usable. plz help with that too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd expect your problems are all network related. You'll probably get the same FPS drops. No matter how nice your hardware is.

Try hard wiring your connection to your router. Also try switching DNS servers. You might get better responsiveness using Cloudflare, Google or OpenDNS servers. Than your ISP's default DNS servers. I couldn't say which DNS is best. As it really depends on exactly where you live in relation to each company's closest DNS servers. So, try each of them.

muhammad_32

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2015
I'd expect your problems are all network related. You'll probably get the same FPS drops. No matter how nice your hardware is.

Try hard wiring your connection to your router. Also try switching DNS servers. You might get better responsiveness using Cloudflare, Google or OpenDNS servers. Than your ISP's default DNS servers. I couldn't say which DNS is best. As it really depends on exactly where you live in relation to each company's closest DNS servers. So, try each of them.
hi thanx. how do i do that. i mean i live in Pakistan. i use Ptcl broadband. connected through ethernet cable from the main router to my pc. and i really wanna slso buy one of these two. so which is the one u would pick fo stable fps, no increase but rendering fast and stability.
also 8 gb ram shows 5.93 usable.

hi thanx. how do i do that. i mean i live in Pakistan. i use Ptcl broadband. connected through ethernet cable from the main router to my pc. and i really wanna slso buy one of these two. so which is the one u would pick fo stable fps, no increase but rendering fast and stability.
also 8 gb ram shows 5.93 usable.

You change the DNS in the control panel in Windows. You can also change the DNS used by all devices in your network. In the router's configuration. But how to do that would be router specific.

Just change the one in Windows for now. Try various providers and see which gets the best responsiveness. Then you can figure out how to add it to your router. See link for Windows. Google's DNS entries are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 for the alternate. Although I don't know if Google has local DNS servers in Pakistan. There may be better ones for your country.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-your-pcs-dns-settings-windows-10

Use a popular speed test site of your choice to test performance. Just be aware. Good DNS doesn't necessarily improve internet speed. It reduces latency. So, the number you should be most interested in for speed tests is the PING.

I'd hold off on any upgrades until you sort out the issues surrounding your connection. An SSD will make the game load faster. More RAM only helps if you don't have enough. It might also help if right now you just have one stick and two will allow dual channel. Especially with integrated graphics.

As you are using integrated graphics. RAM may be more beneficial for overall gaming performance. Especially if you'll go from single channel to dual channel. Just be aware. Adding RAM may have compatibility issues. As sometimes the old RAM and new RAM won't work together at all or may only work at a reduced speed.

Reactions: AreH

muhammad_32

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2015
Can you show screenshots from CPU-Z - motherboard, memory, spd sections?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

With integrated graphics 2GB of ram gets reserved for iGPU use. This ram is not available for general system tasks.
If your motherboard supports ram overclocking, you may benefit from upgrading to faster ram and more ram.
I will in a while . Thanx

should buy more 8gb ram, for stable fps, or an ssd and put the game and windows in there.
So - your motherboard supports ram overclocking.
CPU-Z for some reason doesn't show ram speed. But it's probably running at 2133mhz or 2400mhz.

AMD Ryzen CPUs are very sensitive to ram performance.
Faster ram would definitely improve overall system and integrated graphics performance.

I'd suggest you get dual channel kit 2x8GB 3200mhz (or 3600mhz, if price is not too high).
And remove/sell your old slow ram. Do not use it in this system anymore.

muhammad_32

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2015
So my question is, shall i overclock this ram, and go for an SSD and only put windows and pubg in the SSD, or just upgrade the ram from dual channel 8 gb to dual channel 16 gb with hdd?

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Hi there. I have a ryzen 3 3200g , with vega 8 graphics. I have an 8 gb ram, ( 4 gbs 2 sticks). 2 hdds with win 10 64 bit in one of em. I play pubg pc so i often get lag.

if you have extra budget later, get a proper gpu as well.

the minimum requirement for PUBG is a GTX 960.

you are only using Vega 8 graphics, and that's not really good for pubg.

GTX 960 vs. vega 8

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-960-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-8-Ryzen-iGPU/3165vsm441833

Last edited:
Reactions: muhammad_32