[SOLVED] Need SSD recommendation for my mobo: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Still haven't transitioned from my old HDD. I'm looking to getting an SSD, but not sure about compatibility with my old mobo. I have a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5. From what I've seen, M.2 isn't really an option for me. Even if I try to get the right adaptors and make it work, it seem like more of a hassle. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Performance should be for gaming. 500GB preferred. I'll most likely be using my 1TB HDD as storage still, so SSD is for Windows and select games.

1. What's the best recommendation for an SSD?
  2. What should I be looking at in terms of specs or compatibility issues?
  3. Would this work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0781Z7Y3S?tag=userbenchmark-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1
Some other specs if needed:
CPU: i7 920
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5
RAM: Corsair CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 Vengeance 12GB
GPU: Radeon RX 580 (recently upgraded to this)
PSU: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W
HDD: WD Black 1TB

Last edited:
Solution
Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.
Flip a coin.

Yes, your motherboard ports are SATA II.
An SSD is still lightyears faster than a spinning drive.

So:
either a clean install on the new SSD
or
Reduce the consumed space on the 1TB to below 400GB, and migrate.

the Crucial MX500 is a fine SSD, as is the Samsung 860EVO when you can find it on sale....

Switching from spinning drive to SATA SSD is a massive noticeable difference in boot times, quicker application/game launch times, etc....

(Yes, M.2 NVME is not a thing for your board)

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
the Crucial MX500 is a fine SSD, as is the Samsung 860EVO when you can find it on sale....

Switching from spinning drive to SATA SSD is a massive noticeable difference in boot times, quicker application/game launch times, etc....

(Yes, M.2 NVME is not a thing for your board)
Both are same price. Any reason to go one over the other?

I also noticed that both of these drives are SATA 6 GB/s. It looks like my mobo supports SATA 3 GB/s (right?). Is that an issue in terms of it even working, or will it work, but just be bottlenecked to 3GB/s?
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD5-rev-10/sp#sp

Also, is the EVO 860 specifically says "SATA III". Are all 6 GB/s drives SATA III and 3 GB/s (like mine) SATA II?

And assuming your current C drive is the 500GB, and that the actual consumed space is below 400GB...you can do a direct clone from that to the new 500GB SSD.

Details to follow if you wish.
Nah, the 500GB was my original, but I use the 1TB now, so can't clone until I clear room.

USAFRet

Titan
Samsung 860 EVO or Crucial MX500.
Flip a coin.

Yes, your motherboard ports are SATA II.
An SSD is still lightyears faster than a spinning drive.

So:
either a clean install on the new SSD
or
Reduce the consumed space on the 1TB to below 400GB, and migrate.

Solution

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
What about my other question specifically?
"Is that an issue in terms of it even working, or will it work, but just be bottlenecked to 3GB/s? "

Just trying to understand how the SATA 3 would work in my SATA 2 board. Still just plug and play basically and I'll just get the 3GB speed?

USAFRet

Titan
What about my other question specifically?
"Is that an issue in terms of it even working, or will it work, but just be bottlenecked to 3GB/s? "

Just trying to understand how the SATA 3 would work in my SATA 2 board. Still just plug and play basically and I'll just get the 3GB speed?
Correct.
It will be "slower" than that same drive in a SATA III capable motherboard.
But it will still be much much more responsive than an HDD.

hunter1801a

Reputable
May 8, 2019
Great. Lastly, any other things I need to buy to get it installed? Can't remember where I put all my extra case/mobo items, so I'm thinking I'll need some kind of enclosure, or "holder" for the SSD. The only hardware I have in the case now only holds larger HDDs. Don't see anywhere to mount an SSD.

USAFRet

Titan
Great. Lastly, any other things I need to buy to get it installed? Can't remember where I put all my extra case/mobo items, so I'm thinking I'll need some kind of enclosure, or "holder" for the SSD. The only hardware I have in the case now only holds larger HDDs. Don't see anywhere to mount an SSD.
What case?
Most semi recent cases have dedicated mount points for a 2.5" drive.

Lacking that, one of these to adapt to a 3.5: HDD mount:
https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Internal-Mounting-Included-ST1002S/dp/B01FD8YJB4
Comes with cables, screws...even a screwdriver made of the finest Chinesium steel alloy.